Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential purchase of Brewery

Options
  • 03-04-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

According to Sunday Business Post two whiskey distillers Teelings and Alltech looking at purchasing the premesis.

Seems Diageo spent €40 million refurbishing it in 2003. Can't put link to article as behind a paywall.

Be good to see it working again and any associated jobs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

thomasm wrote: »
    According to Sunday Business Post two whiskey distillers Teelings and Alltech looking at purchasing the premesis.

Seems Diageo spent €40 million refurbishing it in 2003. Can't put link to article as behind a paywall.

Be good to see it working again and any associated jobs

Im glad it cost Diageo a fortune and I hope they get pennies for it.

Good to see whiskey distillers looking at it, wonder would there be scope to add some tourist element to it? Hell, id even go on a whiskey tour in there as long as it involves samples...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

cant find the link anywhere, if you could share when you are out of work i would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

They should pull it down. It's a bloody eyesore.

We can quantify the number of jobs that would be gained if it was open again, but what we can't quantify is the negative impression that it leaves with visitors, and the number of jobs affected by that negative impression.

I think it was a Lonely Planet guide which mistakenly and damagingly referred to a "refinery" blighting Waterford's quays - they were talking about the brewery of course. How many tourists and day-trippers were put off by that alone, and how many jobs could their spend have supported?

If we're trying to show off our assets to their best effect, we don't need blemishes like this detracting from our highest-profile street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

A slight over exaggeration surely. We can put a sail on it and pretend it's a ship.

fricatus wrote: »

We can quantify the number of jobs that would be gained if it was open again, but what we can't quantify is the negative impression that it leaves with visitors, and the number of jobs affected by that negative impression.

I think it was a Lonely Planet guide which mistakenly and damagingly referred to a "refinery" blighting Waterford's quays - they were talking about the brewery of course. How many tourists and day-trippers were put off by that alone, and how many jobs could their spend have supported?

If we're trying to show off our assets to their best effect, we don't need blemishes like this detracting from our highest-profile street.

Jesus, it's not that ugly! In fact I don't think it is bad at all. I've seen hundreds of buildings, just like this, in many cities across the world that are just part and parcel of a city.

I don't understand the mentality that what you see in any other city in the world, and consider as fine, is considered bad in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

dzilla wrote: »
    cant find the link anywhere, if you could share when you are out of work i would appreciate it.

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!search/alltech

''Irish whiskey distiller Teelings and Kentucky-based whiskey maker Alltech are among the parties interested in buying a Waterford brewing plant owned by Diageo.''

This will take you to the above summary, you will need a subscription for any more than this. Not to much more other than what was posted originally so not worth paying for to be honest.

Are you mistaken this place for the old flour mills, its not that bad surely

''Irish whiskey distiller Teelings and Kentucky-based whiskey maker Alltech are among the parties interested in buying a Waterford brewing plant owned by Diageo.''

This will take you to the above summary, you will need a subscription for any more than this. Not to much more other than what was posted originally so not worth paying for to be honest.

American based whiskey maker. Please no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
    I think its a rather attractive design myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I don’t agree with this one bit. I think it’s a modern structure that fits in well with its surroundings. And it hasn’t cost any jobs that’s just ridiculous.

Grattan Quay is hardly our highest profile street...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

TY

Also I think its a fine building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

fricatus, your surely getting it mixed up with somewhere else as it's a lot better than it used to be.

Are you mistaken this place for the old flour mills, its not that bad surely

I'm talking about this building.

Ugly, ugly, ugly. Worse when it's sending steam into the sky. I know it's probably perfectly clean, but it puts you in mind of smoke-belching Victorian factories. How it got planning permission, I have no idea. It would be fine out on the industrial estate.

And while you're all entitled to your opinion, Lonely Planet mistook it for a refinery. That may make them idiots, but they didn't like it, and for better or worse, wrote this into a guidebook that many people rely on when deciding whether or not to go to a place.

I'm talking about this building.

Ugly, ugly, ugly. Worse when it's sending steam into the sky. I know it's probably perfectly clean, but it puts you in mind of smoke-belching Victorian factories. How it got planning permission, I have no idea. It would be fine out on the industrial estate.

And while you're all entitled to your opinion, Lonely Planet mistook it for a refinery. That may make them idiots, but they didn't like it, and for better or worse, wrote this into a guidebook that many people rely on when deciding whether or not to go to a place.

7 people since your post have said that it's not that bad and in fact stated they actually liked it.

If people are put off going to a place because of lonely planets description of one building then they are idiots. Also, if one bad review on a building is enough to put people off coming to Waterford then we have a serious problem(which we do)

O Riain wrote: »
    7 people since your post have said that it's not that bad and in fact stated they actually liked it.

So what? They're right and I'm wrong because they're in a majority? :confused:

If people are put off going to a place because of lonely planets description of one building then they are idiots.

By that logic, should we turn our back on their bed-nights and their money which they might spend in our shops and restaurants? Most of the flotsam and jetsam that you see on Sunday mornings walking up to Kilkenny railway station to take "de trayen back to Dooblin" would probably fit your definition of idiots, but I bet Langton's and the Ormonde Hotel don't care - they're laughing all the way to the (Left) Bank!

Paying customers choose one place over another for all sorts of silly reasons, and we have to be alive to those reasons. People follow the herd, and decide to go somewhere based on flimsy reasons, which include an introductory line they read in a travel guide. We shouldn't be giving anyone reasons to mark us down!

Also, if one bad review on a building is enough to put people off coming to Waterford then we have a serious problem(which we do)

The point of what Lonely Planet said was not a review of a building. It was the impression that a particular building created, plonked as it is, in a high-profile and inappropriate location.

So what? They're right and I'm wrong because they're in a majority? :confused:

By that logic, should we turn our back on their bed-nights and their money which they might spend in our shops and restaurants? Most of the flotsam and jetsam that you see on Sunday mornings walking up to Kilkenny railway station to take "de trayen back to Dooblin" would probably fit your definition of idiots, but I bet Langton's and the Ormonde Hotel don't care - they're laughing all the way to the (Left) Bank!

Paying customers choose one place over another for all sorts of silly reasons, and we have to be alive to those reasons. People follow the herd, and decide to go somewhere based on flimsy reasons, which include an introductory line they read in a travel guide. We shouldn't be giving anyone reasons to mark us down!

The point of what Lonely Planet said was not a review of a building. It was the impression that a particular building created, plonked as it is, in a high-profile and inappropriate location.

It's not that we should be worried about people not deciding to come to Waterford because of the bad impression one building left but we should be worried about the fact that we have so little to offer that one building is enough to put off.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JJ10

can you pm the link to me ?

It's not that we should be worried about people not deciding to come to Waterford because of the bad impression one building left but we should be worried about the fact that we have so little to offer that one building is enough to put off.

I see your point, but I think a big part of the problem is that the building is in an extremely pivotal position. It wouldn't matter a whit if it was down on the Manor for example.

As it is however, it dominates the entrance to the city from Dublin, which given our beautiful riverside setting, should be stunning. Most of the work is already done, with all the old sheds gone and the marina in place, so it's a real shame if one or two buildings are still letting the place down.

TBH, that whole area from Bilberry down to the Bridge Hotel and beyond could do with a serious cleanup, including the removal of those pylons (I thought this was supposed to happen when the new bridge opened). Some trees along the new dual carriageway would be wonderful, but if we're waiting for KK County Council to do anything about that, we might as well be waiting for Hell to freeze over...

Some trees along the new dual carriageway would be wonderful, but if we're waiting for KK County Council to do anything about that, we might as well be waiting for Hell to freeze over...

Waterford City Council have the center of the Dual Carriageway from the old hotel entrance back to crest of hill down towards the town dug up at the moment. Maybe they are working on this. All of the dual carriageway is in Waterford as far as I know so nothing to do with KK Council. Last year WCC contracted Fairybush landscaping to clear the central area between the petrol stations which was very overgrown and have it looking well now.

Waterford City Council have the center of the Dual Carriageway from the old hotel entrance back to crest of hill down towards the town dug up at the moment. Maybe they are working on this. All of the dual carriageway is in Waterford as far as I know so nothing to do with KK Council. Last year WCC contracted Fairybush landscaping to clear the central area between the petrol stations which was very overgrown and have it looking well now.

Apologies, Just noticed you mentioned the new dual carriageway and not the Ferrybank one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

A slight over exaggeration surely. We can put a sail on it and pretend it's a ship.

funnily enough, I done some work down their when that was being built and iirc it was designed to look like a ship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

To be fair the lonely planet gave a textbook definition in that case of lazy research. The approach to the city from that side is quite nice now. Sure there are improvements needed but often I think we criticize ourselcves too much. The last time I was in Cork City the Eastern side of the city centre in as far as Ceannt Station was totally gone to Sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

American based whiskey maker. Please no![/quote
    Unless I've got the wrong crowd alltech is owned by an Irish guy who started off with Irish distillers...so may not be all bad...
    The more brewery's and distillerys around exporting the better...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Love that building, has a clean modern look, think it looks great. Delighted to hear it may be saved along with the jobs. It's important we keep manufacturing jobs, not everywhere can be turned into hotels and touristy places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Hands off this building, pull down the grain mills, preferable while were all still alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

This building is nice and modern compared to the condition the North Quays are in,hopefully when things pick up they will develop the North Quays similar to the Limerick quayside and give Waterford a landmark highrise building the site couldnt be more suitable.

Shane07 wrote: »
    This building is nice and modern compared to the condition the North Quays are in,hopefully when things pick up they will develop the North Quays similar to the Limerick quayside and give Waterford a landmark highrise building the site couldnt be more suitable.

Limerick quayside is awful. At first glance it might look nice but the total lack of shop fronts on it really kill its potential. It only has 2 restaurants, a pub and an entrance to a carpark on it.

They put a lot of work into extending it out but it was always a lifeless place and feels like the city ends on henry street, the street before the quayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

I agree with the whole lack of business and passing trade,The highrise Clarion Hotel and Riverpoint tower give the place a real city feel though which I would love to see in Waterford.A mix of shops,hotels,bars,offices along a new riverside street along the north quays would transform Waterford.heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

as for lonely planet, shoddy research from a well respected and used book. unfortunate for the Waterford review because refinery = bad, brewery = good. However, they could have been just as easily giving out about the north quays which we have no excuse for.

distillery would be great to see go in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I would like to see some accommodation in the city centre along the quays. People living in the city centre would hopefully liven up the city.

Advertisement