Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Privilege Conference, USA, 2014

Options
  • 03-04-2014 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

The city of Madison, Wisconsin hosted the 15th annual national White Privilege Conference last week at the Monona Terrace to discuss issues of white supremacy, social justice and education.

At this conference, Kim Radersma, a former high-school teacher working towards her PhD in critical whiteness studies, spoke at the event and said the following.

"Being a white person who does anti-racist work is like being an alcoholic. I will never be recovered by my alcoholism, to use the metaphor. I have to everyday wake up and acknowledge that I am so deeply imbedded with racist thoughts and notions and actions in my body that I have to choose everyday to do anti-racist work and think in an anti-racist way."

She also argued that white people's actions, like donating to charity or helping a family in need, are inherently racist.

"It's that savior mentality, like 'save them, because they are not like us... we need to think of them and give them our sympathy and our charity and our generosity, which is so demeaning to the people on the receiving end. It's so demoralizing and disempowering to be receiving it."

Frankly, I find this whole thing baffling. I don't know who elected Radersma to speak for white people, or what a PhD in critical whiteness studies is, but telling someone that there is something inherently wrong with them, to me, is no different than telling a child that he is a sinner and Jesus died because of his sins (one reason why I am an atheist).

You can read more about this 'White Privilege Conference' here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

It's ok, I don't need to read more.

Every single white privilege, thin privilege, brown hair privilege blah blah blah, such a load of crap.

Honestly find it hard to picture those who go along with them as being intelligent on any measurable scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

This is why I dont want to bring children into this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dafuq

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bunch of absolute gobshites

She also argued that white people's actions, like donating to charity or helping a family in need, are inherently racist.

"It's that savior mentality, like 'save them, because they are not like us... we need to think of them and give them our sympathy and our charity and our generosity, which is so demeaning to the people on the receiving end. It's so demoralizing and disempowering to be receiving it."

well , I'll tell ye what, love, Ill keep my white guilt priveledged money from now on then, how do you like them apples

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I can honestly say that this is the most bizarre association that I have ever heard of.

Bluewolf expressed it better than I ever could; 'Dafuq?'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"It's that savior mentality,
    No, it's called empathy, one of the core virtues of the human race. Were the native Americans that sent money to Ireland during our famine racists?

I really don't understand how she could have got this nonsense out of a education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm pretty sure people in academia have a much higher risk of cranial-rectal-inversion than the general population, but I've no peer-reviewed studies on the subject to cite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

'Murica!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

<--- April Fools went that a way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Sometimes I get tired and jaded of this world. Work, study and the banalities of everyday life can get you down and you wonder are you ever going to look on the world with fresh eyes, encountering things that are novel and amaze you.

Then I come across an article such as this and realise that the world (and idiots) never cease to amaze me.

Thank you stupid woman, and your stupid organisation!

Thank you, thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

... so does that mean I'd not be welcome there singing my Horst Wessel lied rendition....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

As a Wisconsinite I want to make clear that this does not represent my state..

Wisconsin is proudly home to literally several people of ethnic minority!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I have to everyday wake up and acknowledge that I am so deeply imbedded with racist thoughts and notions and actions in my body
    Jeez, fair play to her for admitting it. Hopefully she'll overcome her awful racist tendencies and become like us non racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Go Badgers!

Pffft... ye're all blondes and of nordic descent and say "ya" and "eh" non stop. Ye wannabe Canoodians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

LenaClaire wrote: »
    Go Badgers!

:mad:

Yeah, all you racist charitable fúcks. Stop showing off your privilege by donating to actual needy causes and send your donations here instead.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Them guys are going to so pissed when they find out the president is black. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Jeez, fair play to her for admitting it. Hopefully she'll overcome her awful racist tendencies and become like us non racists.

Is there a notion here that being racist is a bit like being alcoholic? :pac:

• Advertisement

She is so full of self loathing she should be pitied really.

''She argued that until white people admit they have a problem, they will not be able to fight against white privilege.

"We've been raised to be good. 'I'm a good white person,' and yet to realize I carry within me these dark, horrible thoughts and perceptions is hard to admit. And yet like the alcoholic, what's the first step? Admitting you have a problem," she told the session attendees.

Radersma also argued the first step is realizing that all white people are carrying the signs of oppression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im confused, white people are privileged but if we think we are privileged arent we racist for thinking we have something special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The city of Madison, Wisconsin hosted the 15th annual national White Privilege Conference last week at the Monona Terrace to discuss issues of white supremacy, social justice and education.

At this conference, Kim Radersma, a former high-school teacher working towards her PhD in critical whiteness studies, spoke at the event and said the following.

"Being a white person who does anti-racist work is like being an alcoholic. I will never be recovered by my alcoholism, to use the metaphor. I have to everyday wake up and acknowledge that I am so deeply imbedded with racist thoughts and notions and actions in my body that I have to choose everyday to do anti-racist work and think in an anti-racist way."

Frankly, I find this whole thing baffling. I don't know who elected Radersma to speak for white people, or what a PhD in critical whiteness studies is, but telling someone that there is something inherently wrong with them, to me, is no different than telling a child that he is a sinner and Jesus died because of his sins (one reason why I am an atheist).

You can read more about this 'White Privilege Conference' here.

All a bit mental, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

The reason this person is getting notice is because the bat**** crazy PhD program exists. She isn't representative of anything but the bat**** crazy corner of academia she exists within. These 'niche' programs attract the extremes, who try to validate their existence by having these 'conferences' (probably existing of two speakers and one stand in the lobby of a Motel 6) and publishing these articles in an attempt to legitimise their discipline. No one takes them seriously but themselves and the universities who offer these programs in an attempt to corner some cash.

You can do a Masters in The Beatles, Popular Music and Society in Liverpool Hope (arguably more valuable than Critical Whiteness Studies), a B.S. in Fermentation Sciences in Appalachian State, or a PhD in Decision Sciences in Indiana. Just because it exists doesn't mean anyone takes it seriously.

In many departments of established universities that offer programs of study that add to the worthwhile font of human knowledge, it's a source of both hilarity and embarrassment when this kind of rubbish rises to the surface anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

To be fair to her she is technically correct, she is a racist.

A racist against white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Jake1 wrote: »
    dark, horrible thoughts and perceptions

I'd like her to expand on these, as it may give us some insight into what is clearly a very troubled mind.

To be fair to her she is technically correct, she is a racist.

A racist against white people.
    She's like women who go on about women being bitches; Irish people who go on about Irish people being backward and all the other descriptions that pop up here every day; men who condemn men and claim to be staunchly feminist (often to get laid) etc.

Although to be fair to this nut-job, she isn't saying "except me" like the people above tend to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

I feel sorry for her partner. Imagine putting up with that level of crazy.

Seriously though how can you be racist just because you're white? Scary stuff.

• Advertisement

Equal crazy (but coming from a different angle) in the comments.

Advertisement