Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Privilege Conference, USA, 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I can't find a link because it's from the paper days, but The Onion once had an article about a white family being criticised for not meeting racial diversity quotas. This reads almost exactly the same.

I wonder does Brock University, Ontario know that Radersma is studying there toward a PhD in critical whiteness studies? Is it all lower case because fcuk you Capital patriarchy? So many levels. Such woo. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Muise... wrote: »
    I wonder does Brock University, Ontario know that Radersma is studying there toward a PhD in critical whiteness studies?

This lady is likely to be her supervisor, having critical white studies as one of her interests.

However, this guy would probably be just as appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

"I'm so right-on and PC, it hurts. Literally. Pain, every day"

fcuk off. Some people badly need a few real problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

A lot of quite well educated quite stupid people around these days it seems. What's with that? Rich kids? You tend to see it a lot on blogs and things. People pretty knowledgeable about all kinds of academic theories and what have you but seemingly incapable of doing anything with the knowledge but regurgitate it without any kind of ability to understand or appraise it. It's weird. Maybe it's a result of the whole learn by rote thing in schools. People that really shouldn't be allowed get a bus on their own in case they wander off with a bad man moving in academic circles because they've got half decent memories.

Anyone watch that mockumentary about rebranding the BBC there last night? This is the same guff - right on, too cool and dumber than a box of rocks, just ffs, don't call them out on it or there'l be war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

strobe wrote: »
    A lot of quite well educated quite stupid people around these days it seems. What's with that? Rich kids? You tend to see it a lot on blogs and things. People pretty knowledgeable about all kinds of academic theories and what have you but seemingly incapable of doing anything with the knowledge but regurgitate it without any kind of ability to understand or appraise it. It's weird. Maybe it's a result of the whole learn by rote thing in schools. People that really shouldn't be allowed get a bus on their own in case they wander off with a bad man moving in academic circles because they've got half decent memories.
    Yeh I got over my insecurity about being middle-class by about 19.

Yeh I got over my insecurity about being middle-class by about 19.

Come again?

Come again?
    I'm referring to those idiots you mention who are rich/middle-class and feel insecure about it and wish they were part of a disenfranchised demographic in order to feel "edgier".

I'm referring to those idiots you mention who are rich/middle-class and feel insecure about it.

Ah right yeah.
    Think it's my bedtime.

I'm referring to those idiots you mention who are rich/middle-class and feel insecure about it.

That was probably the only point you could challenge fairly, as the rest of the post was unclear. Learning by rote, buses and strangers. I think.

• Advertisement

I'm referring to those idiots you mention who are rich/middle-class and feel insecure about it and wish they were part of a disenfranchised demographic in order to be "edgier".

Or as I call it "the Blackrock-shemag syndrome".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Candie wrote: »
    The reason this person is getting notice is because the bat**** crazy PhD program exists. She isn't representative of anything but the bat**** crazy corner of academia she exists within. These 'niche' programs attract the extremes, who try to validate their existence by having these 'conferences' (probably existing of two speakers and one stand in the lobby of a Motel 6) and publishing these articles in an attempt to legitimise their discipline. No one takes them seriously but themselves and the universities who offer these programs in an attempt to corner some cash.

You can do a Masters in The Beatles, Popular Music and Society in Liverpool Hope (arguably more valuable than Critical Whiteness Studies), a B.S. in Fermentation Sciences in Appalachian State, or a PhD in Decision Sciences in Indiana. Just because it exists doesn't mean anyone takes it seriously.

In many departments of established universities that offer programs of study that add to the worthwhile font of human knowledge, it's a source of both hilarity and embarrassment when this kind of rubbish rises to the surface anywhere.

But these academic institutions exist within the most powerful cultural empire, possibly, in history. That means that americanised ideas of "white" privilege spreads to places far less culturally, militarily or economically powerful than America ( including non-white America).

That was probably the only point you could challenge fairly, as the rest of the post was unclear. Learning by rote, buses and strangers. I think.

Now I'm confused again, or maybe you are. Don't think she was challenging any of my points/musings.

But yeah, the buses were the main thing. Gold star for you. Bed for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I've noticed this too! You can teach people facts. You can't teach them 'having a clue what's goin' on' though lol.

Now I'm confused again, or maybe you are. Don't think she was challenging any of my points/musings.

But yeah, the buses were the main thing. Gold star for you. Bed for me.

It read as a challenge before FF edited it to add a qualifying sentence.

Me and my book learning, hah?

Goodnight. :)

Edit: Wake up! The second sentence is gone! S'alright though, there's a post to qualify it now.

It read as a challenge before FF edited it to add a qualifying sentence.

Me and my book learning, hah?

Goodnight. :)

Edit: Wake up! The second sentence is gone! S'alright though, there's a post to qualify it now.

So did the cops know internal affairs were setting them up or not? :pac:

Haha, I blew your minds. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

At least its in the USA where there is a history of institutional racism, when people start using that 'white privilege' guff over here where we have a completely different historical and cultural background its even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

At least its in the USA where there is a history of institutional racism, when people start using that 'white privilege' guff over here where we have a completely different historical and cultural background its even worse.

Nope still crazy even in the US.

In before the "I'm not a racist but......"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I can't believe the other 14!! of these passed this place by.

Would have thought these sort of shenanigans would be food and drink to the cabal of moral crusaders...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Academia has a lot to answer for. Sad sad people too afraid to face the real world so they spend their life spouting this crap from the ivory tower of some university. Glorified hate speech that, wrapped up as research.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I hear you're a racist now Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

In before the "I'm not a racist but......"

Check your straw man privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Travelling back in time is a white privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Travelling back in time is a white privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

How are people like this taken seriously as academics?

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    How are people like this taken seriously as academics?

Mostly, they aren't taken seriously outside their own department.

I hate articles like this because they give the impression these people have more influence than they actually have. Giving them publicity only helps legitimise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Candie wrote: »
    Mostly, they aren't taken seriously outside their own department.

I hate articles like this because they give the impression these people have more influence than they actually have. Giving them publicity only helps legitimise them.

YOU'RE SUCH A RACIST

Advertisement