Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Privilege Conference, USA, 2014

Options
13»

Comments

bluewolf wrote: »
    YOU'RE SUCH A RACIST

It's a cross I'll have to bear.

A big flaming, burning cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I mean, this sort of tripe is why people laugh at the left...

... and I say that as someone on the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Candie wrote: »
    It's a cross I'll have to bear.

A big flaming, burning cross.
    Oh and a homophobe too I see. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I hate articles like this because they give the impression these people have more influence than they actually have. Giving them publicity only helps legitimise them

Hmmm, I'm not sure I agree with that.

If they were some nutjob off the street I'd agree with you, but these are people who have funding and a certain amount of respect. If you ingore them then they'll just ferment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

biko wrote: »

Loving the foreword entitled "Precarious workers that made this special issue possible", in which they show their solidarity with precarious workers by calculating the monetary value of their volunteer work in putting together this journal that nobody asked them for. Poor exploited academics. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'm not sure I agree with that.

If they were some nutjob off the street I'd agree with you, but these are people who have funding and a certain amount of respect. If you ingore them then they'll just ferment.

Can't really disagree with this. Unfortunately there's always some well meaning quasi goverenmental grouping ready to give grant funding and listen in awe to nutters like this when it comes to social policy discussions. Generally best to try to show up the nutters for what the are...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Candie wrote: »
    The reason this person is getting notice is because the bat**** crazy PhD program exists. She isn't representative of anything but the bat**** crazy corner of academia she exists within. These 'niche' programs attract the extremes, who try to validate their existence by having these 'conferences' (probably existing of two speakers and one stand in the lobby of a Motel 6) and publishing these articles in an attempt to legitimise their discipline. No one takes them seriously but themselves and the universities who offer these programs in an attempt to corner some cash.

You can do a Masters in The Beatles, Popular Music and Society in Liverpool Hope (arguably more valuable than Critical Whiteness Studies), a B.S. in Fermentation Sciences in Appalachian State, or a PhD in Decision Sciences in Indiana. Just because it exists doesn't mean anyone takes it seriously.

In many departments of established universities that offer programs of study that add to the worthwhile font of human knowledge, it's a source of both hilarity and embarrassment when this kind of rubbish rises to the surface anywhere.

Not sure about the others, but decision theory is a major part of statistics, and can be done in literally any university in the world with a statistics department. It's also very valuable.

Advertisement