Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this for? (pic included)

• 03-04-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Here are my pipes -- attached.

See the jubilee clip on its own, below my hand? I've no idea what it's for. There is a little raised rectangular piece of metal under it, which is part of the pipes themselves. This jubilee clip just appears to sit on top of it...why?

It's "normal" as I've looked at the design docs, and it's there too.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Is it covering a split/leak..??..doesnt look factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

defo a crack under that. have a couple of clips on me own, cheaper than a new one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Is it covering a split/leak..??..doesnt look factory

Nope, there is no crack. It is factory.

rat_race wrote: »
    Nope, there is no crack. It is factory.

Not a split either...really has no obvious use...only thing "unusual" is the slightly raised rectangular bit of metal as I said... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

off what bike?

• Advertisement

off what bike?

Ninja 250R (2008+ model)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe theres a cat underneath and clip is there incase the weld gives way, and it fires off? dunno really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Looks like its stock anyways, its in the parts diagram.

LKLn35w.png

Its not only for the ninja, that same part shows up for tons of kawasaki mufflers. Clueless on what it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

hmm, looking at diagrams, its too far along to be a blanked cut-out for a cat, o2 sensor, exhaust valve etc imo

maybe they're prone to leaking there, or fracture, and this was a design decision to strengthen it at that point

hard thing to google for anyway :p

Wossack wrote: »
    hmm, looking at diagrams, its too far along to be a blanked cut-out for a cat, o2 sensor, exhaust valve etc imo

maybe they're prone to leaking there, or fracture, and this was a design decision to strengthen it at that point

hard thing to google for anyway :p

Yeah, thanks all. There is deffo a raised bit of metal there alright, underneath it. Just checked again. Maybe it indeed is to strengthen it.

Have a service manual and everything and it doesn't say anything. In fact, if the jubilee clip was moved, I don't see how anyone would know if it's in right or wrong place...without knowing it should be over this slightly raised rectangular bit.

Well, I'll let you know if I figure it out (with certainty!)...

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks all. There is deffo a raised bit of metal there alright, underneath it. Just checked again. Maybe it indeed is to strengthen it.

Have a service manual and everything and it doesn't say anything. In fact, if the jubilee clip was moved, I don't see how anyone would know if it's in right or wrong place...without knowing it should be over this slightly raised rectangular bit.

Well, I'll let you know if I figure it out (with certainty!)...

Figured it out (duh)...it's actually used to help hold the muffler cover in place (bit of superficial curved metal that hides the muffler/head pipe connection / clamps, etc.). The cover's inner-side has something called a "tang", which I think is just a bit of flat metal is supposed to sit tightly under the clamp.

It seems in my case, this tang broke off, and corroded so bad under the clamp that it looks like it was part of the header pipes...

So at least that is explained...

Advertisement