Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in Galway City

Options
  • 03-04-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Im am moving to Galway city in the next little bit. I have heard that the traffic in galway can be bad and I'm guessing it would be at its worst during rush hour.

I am going to be working on the east side of the city and I am wondering would I have problems going to and from work if I was living on the west side.

Does anyone know how bad the traffic can be?

Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Traffic is a doddle. It's quite rare to be stuck behind another cyclist. Issues might be investing in wet gear, avoid any of the broken glass and assert yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MiJaF

Thanks,

But was I thinking more about car traffic around Galway than bike traffic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

I feel bad for anyone who drives in Galway, everyone seems to angry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

MiJaF wrote: »
    Thanks, But was I thinking more about car traffic around Galway than bike traffic!
    Oh!
    Well in that case, you're screwed. Live on the same side of the river as you work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

To try and be more helpful, yes Galway traffic can be a nightmare, especially going from the west (where a lot of people live) to the east (where most of Galway's biggest employers are based). It does vary wildly though and some days are significantly worse than others. The commute could easily vary from 15-20 mins to an hour at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

sea_monkey wrote: »
    I feel bad for anyone who drives in Galway, everyone seems to angry!

Im living in Galway since 1986 and I have the opposite experience to you monkey, I think Galway is reasonable and I havn't seen much anger.

Traffic is hit and miss. Somedays it can be bad other days everything is moving quickly. Maybe drive around town during rush hour a few days and get a feel for things. Wet, dark wintery days are probably the worst.

Welcome to Galway, great place to live except for the wind and rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

West Galway is the nicest for living but a lot of employment on the east side.
    The traffic isn't that bad if you know where/when to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Welcome to Galway, great place to live except for the wind and rain.

Don't believe a word of it, OP: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057085431 :)

WRT traffic, that is also exaggerated, or so it would seem. Congestion disappears when the schools are off, and if traffic was so intolerable (for drivers) the rest of the time then thousands of motorists would not continue to do the same thing at the same time day after day.

My suggestion would be to work within walking, cycling or bus ride distance of work. If that's not your bag, refer to the paragraph above. Then either accept the inevitable congestion or commute before or after the school run. Or else go to work only when the schools are off. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MiJaF wrote: »
    Hi,

Im am moving to Galway city in the next little bit. I have heard that the traffic in galway can be bad and I'm guessing it would be at its worst during rush hour.

I am going to be working on the east side of the city and I am wondering would I have problems going to and from work if I was living on the west side.

Does anyone know how bad the traffic can be?

Thanks,

Hi OP. I live on the westside and I work on the east side (Parkmore/Ballybrit). I leave my home at 8am to get to work for 8.20am. I leave work just after 6pm and I'll normally be home between 6.30-6.40pm. About one day every two weeks it'll be particularly bad and it'll be closer to 7pm.

If I want to get the bus to work, I need to get a 7.30am bus into Eyre Square and then the 8am bus out to Parkmore Industrial Estate (which will get me to work just before 8.30am). To get home, it's another two bus journeys, meaning one hours travel.

A good few people cycle to work from the westside, but it's only doable if your workplace has shower facilities, because you'll need a wash! :)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Oh dear, the poster doth protest too much (again!) and now it's attacking other threads :p
    OP the thread is definitely worth a read though, if for nothing else to see how even the residents disagree about weather!
    Yes traffic is hairy sometimes but people who plan their commute generally work it out.
    It's lovely to cycle if you can but most people agree that Galway is wet and windy a lot of the year. Though If you can gear up daily you'll be grand. As another poster mentioned stuff like a shower and/or dress code at work will dictate if it will work or not for you.
    Welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

john.han wrote: »
    To try and be more helpful, yes Galway traffic can be a nightmare, especially going from the west (where a lot of people live) to the east (where most of Galway's biggest employers are based). It does vary wildly though and some days are significantly worse than others. The commute could easily vary from 15-20 mins to an hour at peak times.

30 minutes to an hour is a more reasonable expectation of peak traffic. It does depend on the end points though - for example Cappagh Road to Parkmore could easily take an hour but might average out at 40 to 45 mins.

OP, i recommend you look at the east side for accomodation. Plenty of options in the mervue, wellpark, renmore and doughiska areas to start with.

Avoid student areas like lurgen park though if possible and areas like castle park for AHEM* other reasons

Advertisement