Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity collectors - Oliver Plunkett Street

Options
  • 03-04-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I've noticed over the last few months that every couple of weeks the same two charities are collecting on O.P street, namely Animal Ark and The Irish Lung Foundation. Seems weird to be doing it on the same days and the lung foundation ones don't even have the official logo. Are these guys genuine or am I just paranoid with all the recent Rehab stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Charities are a big business nowadays. It's a shame the money goes to Fianna Fail types and not to the actual people that need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The same two chariries are collecting again today. Hate the way they stand outside shop exits. It's close to intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I saw those collectors as well, wouldn't give to them. They can fcuk right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Are they the ones who come up trying to be all friendly looking for direct debits?

I despise those people.

gimmick wrote: »
    Are they the ones who come up trying to be all friendly looking for direct debits?

I despise those people.

Your friendly neighbourhood wallet inspector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

One of the Animal Ark collectors was giving it the classic passive-aggressive "Oh well, if you don't feel that animals are worth helping then. retort to a woman the other week. I was waiting for him to try it on with me as I was going to say how torturing puppies was my most favourite way to relax of an evening but he clocked the look on my face and stayed clear of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Same always happens me when the anti choice mongs are out. I think I almost look too desperate for them to accost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

gimmick wrote: »

I despise those people.

No, not those ones. These guys have tables and stand outside places like Penny's and the GPO. I have my doubts that they are connected to the charities in any way. They have that charity collection licence stapled to the tables but it's just a generic notification.

There's a few chancers about alright...http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/bogus-street-collectors-arrested-in-drogheda-27113069.html

'The following day another person was apprehended, again near the Drogheda Town Centre, for pretending to represent the Irish Lung Foundation.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its disgusting and actually turns people off giving to charities that actually need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeahm they try to engage you in conversation.

One of them started with me a few weeks ago... "Do you like animals?". I was carrying a butcher bag of meat from the market, so I said "Only to eat." He had no answer so I was able to escape!

Advertisement