Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google app engine versus dreamweaver

Options
  • 03-04-2014 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

hi folks? need a little guidance I have a little experience with website design but it's 5-6 years since I made a wage from it.
    I got tasked with setting up a basic website for a charity group I'm involved in, free of course,:rolleyes: time is short so another member offered to do it for me, only prob he plans on doing it through Google app engine:confused: but he won't be around to manage it long term. what are pros and cons of G app engine
    Or should I just bite the bullet and build standard site with DW/HTML

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

triskell wrote: »
    hi folks? need a little guidance I have a little experience with website design but it's 5-6 years since I made a wage from it.
    I got tasked with setting up a basic website for a charity group I'm involved in, free of course,:rolleyes: time is short so another member offered to do it for me, only prob he plans on doing it through Google app engine:confused: but he won't be around to manage it long term. what are pros and cons of G app engine
    Or should I just bite the bullet and build standard site with DW/HTML

They're not really comparable tbh. It's It's bit like asking what's better, dreamweaver or letshost.ie?

GAE is like a means of hosting where you don't have to have a server expert managing your hosting. It's main selling point is its no limit on expansion if your business grows fast. And the other selling point is that your uptime will effectively be as reliable as Gmails uptime.

I don't think either of those are huge necessities for your situation.

It's a pretty cool tool but I think in your situation I wouldn't see the need for it. BUT, if he's dead set on using it it shouldn't really make a difference in terms of maintenance if the site you're talking about is purely html /css and doesn't talk to databases etc.

You'll be still using the same code for the site itself, you'll just to have learn how GAE works (it doesn't use normal ftp type situation). Also, I could be wrong here but if there's no databases and your site is purely html /css then I think you'll be able to have the site up and running and hosted totally free which is pretty cool.

However if he doesn't know GAE himself and he plans on using a platform and /or plans on using PHP or databases then I think he's creating more work than its worth.

Personally I stopped using it because I found I was spending more time on things to do with Google app engine than the site itself.

But that's because I wanted to do much more than just host html. Plus I was in a rush so I'm not gonna rule it out in the future.

Really depends how well he knows GAE or not. If he doesn't I'd rule it out.

Advertisement