Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what kind of broadband is available in claremorris.

Options
  • 03-04-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

As The header Suggests....

Also how much is it? And what bundles are available????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi muddle84

Thanks for posting, Next Generation Broadband is available in Claremorris which offers speeds of up to 24mb. The speed of Broadband you receive is based on the distance you are from the connected exchange. Phone and Broadband packages start from €30 per month for the first 6 months. For more information please call Sales on 1800 503 303 or visit Eircom

The area is due to be upgraded to Efibre (up to 70mb)  from May of this year at which point existing customers will be offered a free upgrade.

I hope this helps

thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭muddle84

Thank you. How much will the e fibre cost going forward for new customers? And how much does it go up to after 6 months? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

muddle84 wrote: »
    Thank you. How much will the e fibre cost going forward for new customers? And how much does it go up to after 6 months? ?
    Plans start at
    per month, first 6 months for new customers*
    €45 per month thereafter.
    but you can see all plans and prices here
    Hope this helps
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Resurrecting an old thread ... same question as OP.

Eircom response says "The area is due to be upgraded to Efibre (up to 70mb) from May [2014] of this year." Efiber still doesn't appear to be available in Claremorris unless your website is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

leck wrote: »
    Resurrecting an old thread ... same question as OP.

Eircom response says "The area is due to be upgraded to Efibre (up to 70mb) from May [2015] of this year." Efiber still doesn't appear to be available in Claremorris unless your website is wrong?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi leck

efibre has launched in Claremorris but not in all areas and the map will signal when efibre launches as opposed to efibre being available in all areas - this is why there is a note on top of the map advising: "Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool."

A more detailed map can be located here:

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ (click on NGA fibre broadband network)

Also, if you would like me to check to see if I can offer you an indication of when it will be available to your line/specific area please PM me your land line and/or your specific address.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Advertisement

Sorry, I just corrected my post - I should have referred to the post that said Claremorris to get efibre in 2014 - Colm posted in April 2014 saying "The area is due to be upgraded to Efibre (up to 70mb) from May of this year." So almost a year later and it's still not available around the town. I tried checking on different addresses in the town centre and kept getting "not available".

Using the link you provided, it shows a number of cabinets live in Claremorris, including one a short distance from where I live. I will PM you the cabinet number, my address and phone number.

Sorry, I just corrected my post - I should have referred to the post that said Claremorris to get efibre in 2014 - Colm posted in April 2014 saying "The area is due to be upgraded to Efibre (up to 70mb) from May of this year." So almost a year later and it's still not available around the town. I tried checking on different addresses in the town centre and kept getting "not available".

Using the link you provided, it shows a number of cabinets live in Claremorris, including one a short distance from where I live. I will PM you the cabinet number, my address and phone number.
    Thanks leck

I have requested clarification from efibre operations and I will get back to you as soon as possible however that may be Monday Morning.

Thanks
    Al

I live outside the town just off the ballinrobe road and I have fibre broadband now. Albeit with Vodafone but I do get speeds in the house of up to 38mb/s. But I also get 4G(also with vodafone) on my phone now in my house which gives me speeds up to 54mb/s.

Leck, a 4G dongle might be an option for you?

I live outside the town just off the ballinrobe road and I have fibre broadband now. Albeit with Vodafone but I do get speeds in the house of up to 38mb/s. But I also get 4G(also with vodafone) on my phone now in my house which gives me speeds up to 54mb/s.

Hi Muddle84:

They're great speeds. Your provider is Vodafone -- I presume that since it's fibre, it must be using the Eircom network. If so, are you connected to the Cabinet CMS1_005 on R331 (near Hanleys house)?

Our service with Sky is erratic - today's test on Ookla:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4234995734
    That's about as good as it gets - the upload speed is usually about 0.6Mbps, but download is often considerably less than the 12Mbps I'm getting now.

The Eircom rep hasn't followed up about this.

Hi Muddle84:

They're great speeds. Your provider is Vodafone -- I presume that since it's fibre, it must be using the Eircom network. If so, are you connected to the Cabinet CMS1_005 on R331 (near Hanleys house)?

That's about as good as it gets - the upload speed is usually about 0.6Mbps, but download is often considerably less than the 12Mbps I'm getting now.

Hi leck

Apologies for the delays - I will get back to you shortly

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Muddle84:

I'm sorry, I don't know where Hanleys house is or the number of the cabinet. The cabinet I am connected to is right beside the 60km/h signs on the balinrobe road. I think its the last cabinet on the way out of town. I live in Rushbrook.

Upload can vary from 9mbs up to 20mbs.

I also have a friend living in Clareville, he is closer to the cabinet ( the one outside connacht gold co op) so he gets nearer to 50mbs download speed. Also on Vodafone.

Hi Muddle84:

I'm sorry, I don't know where Hanleys house is or the number of the cabinet. The cabinet I am connected to is right beside the 60km/h signs on the balinrobe road. I think its the last cabinet on the way out of town. I live in Rushbrook.

Upload can vary from 9mbs up to 20mbs.

I also have a friend living in Clareville, he is closer to the cabinet ( the one outside connacht gold co op) so he gets nearer to 50mbs download speed. Also on Vodafone.
    Yes, that's the cabinet I was thinking of. I'm about 400m on the town side of that. I have been enquiring of Eircom since last summer whether that cabinet is live. I was told it's not and that they would call me when service was available in our area. I spoke to an Eircom technician on the street while they were digging up the town to install Fibre to the Business (FTTB). He said even though I'm closer to the cabinet on Ballinrobe Road, Eircom would connect instead to a cabinet on the town side of that and that it would only be houses in Rushbrook or a little further out on the Ballinrobe road that would be connected to Cabinet CMS1_005.

Well something is definitely amiss there. There is a cabinet either side of you activated with fibre so it should be there. I signed up with vodafone before the fibre was available but there was no charge to upgrade. A technician did have to come out and change the socket in the wall though. 

What did sky tell you about it?

I'm probably not being proactive enough as it's been a long time since I rang Sky about it. A couple of times in the last year I've spoken to the guys that man those Sky pop-up type booths that you sometimes see in shopping centres - once in Galway and once in Claremorris. They said they couldn't tell me when efibre would be available here, that it was best to check with Eircom - I presume that Sky are just resellers really. I went into the Eircom shop in Galway Shopping Centre, prob before Christmas, and was told service was not available at this address and they couldn't tell me when it would be available.

When were you upgraded to fibre? Do you need to have Vodafone mobile service for them to take you on as a customer? or will they sell internet and landline only? We currently have internet and landline from Sky for 47.50/month. I think there was a one-year contract from when service was installed in June 2013 so it's out of contract now.

I'm probably not being proactive enough as it's been a long time since I rang Sky about it. A couple of times in the last year I've spoken to the guys that man those Sky pop-up type booths that you sometimes see in shopping centres - once in Galway and once in Claremorris. They said they couldn't tell me when efibre would be available here, that it was best to check with Eircom - I presume that Sky are just resellers really. I went into the Eircom shop in Galway Shopping Centre, prob before Christmas, and was told service was not available at this address and they couldn't tell me when it would be available.

When were you upgraded to fibre? Do you need to have Vodafone mobile service for them to take you on as a customer? or will they sell internet and landline only? We currently have internet and landline from Sky for 47.50/month. I think there was a one-year contract from when service was installed in June 2013 so it's out of contract now.

I got upgraded around last November but they told me it was available a few months before that. They did try and contact me when it was available but i ignored the calls as i thought it was a survey.
    The mobile service is completely different to the broadband and there is no incentive/discount to have the mobile and broadband with them. They will sell you broadband without you being a mobile customer no problem. I only have the internet as my wife and i both have mobiles so couldnt justify getting the landline too. the broadband on its own is must 35/month for an 18 month contract.

I got upgraded around last November but they told me it was available a few months before that. They did try and contact me when it was available but i ignored the calls as i thought it was a survey.
    The mobile service is completely different to the broadband and there is no incentive/discount to have the mobile and broadband with them. They will sell you broadband without you being a mobile customer no problem. I only have the internet as my wife and i both have mobiles so couldnt justify getting the landline too. the broadband on its own is must 35/month for an 18 month contract.
    The Home Unlimited package on the Vodafone site would be like what we currently have, although it includes free calls to mobiles (which we don't have now) but doesn't include calls to UK and UK landlines (which we do have now).

We're currently paying Sky €47.50/month
    --> TOTAL for 18 months €855

By comparison, using rates advertised on Vodafone website, the total for 18 months would be as follows:

Home Unlimited €25 for first three months, then €55 per month --> €900
    Home Essentials €45 per month --> €810
    Simply Broadband €38 per month --> €684 (slightly higher than what you are paying now)

Site says Free Modem and Free Installation. Are there any hidden charges? or is your bill exactly €35/month? Did you price service with any other providers? Thanks for all the information, you've provided more information to me today than a year of trying to get information from Sky and Eircom. Mind you, the Vodafone site doesn't promise me anything like your speeds - you are probably much closer to the cabinet, maybe fresh copper wire from cabinet to your house too and they might insist that we be connected to a cabinet on the other side even though further away.

The Eircom site has a phone number checker, using that I get "Your home is not in an eFibre area". I also checked using the address and other addresses around here and got the same result. But when I checked a couple of random houses in Rushbrook, then I got "Great news! Your home is eFibre enabled". So maybe that cabinet is just dedicated to Rushbrook or just because you have house numbers they have updated those addresses on the site but not the older houses nearby.

The Home Unlimited package on the Vodafone site would be like what we currently have, although it includes free calls to mobiles (which we don't have now) but doesn't include calls to UK and UK landlines (which we do have now).

By comparison, using rates advertised on Vodafone website, the total for 18 months would be as follows:

Simply Broadband €38 per month --> €684 (slightly higher than what you are paying now)

Site says Free Modem and Free Installation. Are there any hidden charges? or is your bill exactly €35/month?
     Did you price service with any other providers? Thanks for all the information, you've provided more information to me today than a year of trying to get information from Sky and Eircom. Mind you, the Vodafone site doesn't promise me anything like your speeds - you are probably much closer to the cabinet, maybe fresh copper wire from cabinet to your house too and they might insist that we be connected to a cabinet on the other side even though further away.

The Eircom site has a phone number checker, using that I get "Your home is not in an eFibre area". I also checked using the address and other addresses around here and got the same result. But when I checked a couple of random houses in Rushbrook, then I got "Great news! Your home is eFibre enabled". So maybe that cabinet is just dedicated to Rushbrook or just because you have house numbers they have updated those addresses on the site but not the older houses nearby.
    From memory the first bill was higher but that was due joining mid month so I was paying for a month & a half rather than just a month. After that I don't remember any hidden charges.

I priced it with everybody, which was before fibre was available. I nearly went with Eircom as I got a really good sales man who had me convinced to get the tv package aswell as the broadband and homephone. But I said I'd sit on it for a night and when I rang back the next day the guy I spok to told me that the TV wouldn't work in my area because fibre isn't available. He couldn't tell me why the guy I spoke to the day before told me that it would work. This struck Eircom off straight away for me.
    The main reason I went with Vodafone was because they were the cheapest for broadband unlimited on its own. They also guaranteed the 35/month for the duration of the contract and guaranteed no extra fee to be upgraded to fibre when it was available. The only catch with the upgrade is that the 18 months restarts from the date of the upgrade. Turns out this isn't nessecarily a bad thing if its gone up to 38/month.

From my understanding they don't change the cabinet you are connected to. The connection is already there from the cabinet to your house. I am not sure how to find out which one you are connected to. I think I clocked it one day and I am over a kilometre from the cabinet ( maybe two I can't remember). And Like I said, my friend in clareville gets at least 10mbs more than me so you never know.

Maybe the mods here would be able to tell you exactly what speeds you could get now that they know you are a potential customer? If I was you I'd ring Sky and tell them you are cancelling the service because the speeds are too slow. They will quickly tell you exactly what they can and can't do for you then!!

Site says Free Modem and Free Installation. Are there any hidden charges? or is your bill exactly €35/month?
     Did you price service with any other providers? Thanks for all the information, you've provided more information to me today than a year of trying to get information from Sky and Eircom. Mind you, the Vodafone site doesn't promise me anything like your speeds - you are probably much closer to the cabinet, maybe fresh copper wire from cabinet to your house too and they might insist that we be connected to a cabinet on the other side even though further away.

From memory the first bill was higher but that was due joining mid month so I was paying for a month & a half rather than just a month. After that I don't remember any hidden charges.

I priced it with everybody, which was before fibre was available. I nearly went with Eircom as I got a really good sales man who had me convinced to get the tv package aswell as the broadband and homephone. But I said I'd sit on it for a night and when I rang back the next day the guy I spok to told me that the TV wouldn't work in my area because fibre isn't available. He couldn't tell me why the guy I spoke to the day before told me that it would work. This struck Eircom off straight away for me.
    The main reason I went with Vodafone was because they were the cheapest for broadband unlimited on its own. They also guaranteed the 35/month for the duration of the contract and guaranteed no extra fee to be upgraded to fibre when it was available. The only catch with the upgrade is that the 18 months restarts from the date of the upgrade. Turns out this isn't nessecarily a bad thing if its gone up to 38/month.

From my understanding they don't change the cabinet you are connected to. The connection is already there from the cabinet to your house. I am not sure how to find out which one you are connected to. I think I clocked it one day and I am over a kilometre from the cabinet ( maybe two I can't remember). And Like I said, my friend in clareville gets at least 10mbs more than me so you never know.

Maybe the mods here would be able to tell you exactly what speeds you could get now that they know you are a potential customer? If I was you I'd ring Sky and tell them you are cancelling the service because the speeds are too slow. They will quickly tell you exactly what they can and can't do for you then!!
    I rang Sky today and they told me that efibre is not available at this number. They said they couldn't tell me what cabinet I'm connected to.

Will call Vodafone tomorrow and see if they can shed any light on if or when efibre will be available.

There has been no response from the Eircom rep on here to my PM sent on 13/3/15.

Thanks leck

I have requested clarification from efibre operations and I will get back to you as soon as possible however that may be Monday Morning.

Thanks
    Al
    Alan:
    Still waiting for a reply to my PM of 13/3/15

Thanks leck

Thanks
    Al
    Alan:

Apologies for the delays leck

I have had clarification from efibre operations that while eircom at present cannot offer you efibre broadband, still can offer your line speeds of up to 15Mb with next generation broadband.

As your line is currently with another provider I'm afraid we cannot confirm why efibre is not available to your line as ultimately such access to the finer details is not granted for regulatory reasons.

From looking at your address and the proximity to the cabinet I cannot understand why efibre is not available but the best advice I can offer is to check with your current provider as to why this is the case.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks leck

Thanks
    Al
    Alan:

I have had clarification from efibre operations that while eircom at present cannot offer you efibre broadband, still can offer your line speeds of up to 15Mb with next generation broadband.

As your line is currently with another provider I'm afraid we cannot confirm why efibre is not available to your line as ultimately such access to the finer details is not granted for regulatory reasons.

From looking at your address and the proximity to the cabinet I cannot understand why efibre is not available but the best advice I can offer is to check with your current provider as to why this is the case.

Thanks
    Al
    The current provider (Sky) told me to contact Eircom to see why fibre is not shown as being available so close to a live cabinet. Can you let me know which cabinet I'm connected to? What finer details do you not have access to? - the phone line was with Eircom until June 2013. If I was a new customer with no phone at this address and went to Eircom requesting phone and internet service, would I still be told that fibre is not available?

Thanks leck

Thanks
    Al
    Alan:

Thanks
    Al
    The current provider (Sky) told me to contact Eircom to see why fibre is not shown as being available so close to a live cabinet. Can you let me know which cabinet I'm connected to? What finer details do you not have access to? - the phone line was with Eircom until June 2013. If I was a new customer with no phone at this address and went to Eircom requesting phone and internet service, would I still be told that fibre is not available?
    As your line is with another provider I'm afraid we do not have access to see what cabinet (if at all) your line is served by and unfortunately we do not have access to the reasons why eircom cannot offer you efibre. This would still be the same position if you contacted eircom sales with the aim of potentially singing up. Basically we cannot see why efibre is not available to your line unless you are an eircom customer. I'm sorry I can't do more on this for you Leck.

Thanks
    Al

Two months later and I'm still getting the same kind of response from Eircom about efibre in Claremorris:

"I can see that your local cabinet has not been upgraded as of yet but will be soon...We will upgrade you for free when we upgrade the cabinet. I am unsure of which cabinet to which you are connected but your area is getting upgraded at the moment, so whichever cabinet you are connected to will be upgraded soon."

Two months later and I'm still getting the same kind of response from Eircom about efibre in Claremorris:

"I can see that your local cabinet has not been upgraded as of yet but will be soon...We will upgrade you for free when we upgrade the cabinet. I am unsure of which cabinet to which you are connected but your area is getting upgraded at the moment, so whichever cabinet you are connected to will be upgraded soon."
    Hi leck

From my most recent post above I did advise that I cannot see what cabinet you line is connected to (because you are not an eircom customer and our access is restricted beyond eircom customers)

I did not mean for the above post to suggest that whichever cabinet it is connected to will be upgraded soon - I'm sorry if you were advised this by any other eircom rep.

The following map should help you with this http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

Any sign of any eFiber out in taugheen? 

Advertisement