Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell League 2014

• 03-04-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭

I'm out of the county tonight, how'd everyone get on with the TT?

Hmmzis, that your first ever TT?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm out of the county tonight, how'd everyone get on with the TT?

Hmmzis, that your first ever TT?
    Some fast times

Mr. Grieves is a mutant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

@buffalo, didn't do it today, was marshalling the kid :). Did two TTs last year but made pants of both of them.
    Just had a look at the times in the forum and Strava. :eek:

Lots of people have taken rule #5 quite seriously this year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Perfect night for it. Dry with a bit of a tailwind. Made a nice change to racing in the rain.

That was bloody fast, went out the back on the second lap. Was going as fast as I could but the guys just sailed past me. And Buffalo, that was a very impressive showing from you!

• Advertisement

My lungs were burning, and my legs have felt better, but it felt great going around those corners at 40kph with a a 45 degree angle!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

First time properly racing that circuit and I really got found out. Road racing it ain't.

OMG, I survived!!! Even managed to try a sprint at the end. It turned into something more like cyclocross and not much of a sprint, the tanks were properly done by then.

Then again, a lot of the big gunners were missing today, so it could have just been a bit easier than last week.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    it could have just been a bit easier than last week.

That was not easier than last week - tonight was a lot more stop/start. Good stuff on hanging in there!

Just saw the results. Well done buffalo on the podium! And good luck in Ras Mumhan, you're in good form for it.

• Advertisement

That hurt so much! At least the pacing this time round was spot on for me. Did about the same time as last year but given the added aero aids I'd say I'm a bit slower this year.

Vlad, did I see that right, no TT bars?

Edit: And buffalo, I'll have to try that cake eating technique of your's :D

Yes, no TT bars. It's on my to do list.

Yes, no TT bars. It's on my to do list.

Then that result is even more impressive! :eek:

Did you have your power meter along, what was the wattage?

Incidentally, if you're looking to join the league, you've got one week!

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/50-news/618-2014-league-latecomers

This thread has become a bit quiet lately. How did it go for any boardsies tonight in the races?

Mine was probably the best of the year so far. Managed to stick with the bunch till the end, even managed to follow a late attack by Mr Grieves. Big kudos to the lad (not sure if he's on boards so not mentioning his name) who counter attacked solo right after Mr Grieves and me were pulled back, he almost made it to the end, the bunch got to him in the last 150-200m. Tried a bit for the sprint but got no clear line so sat up and rolled over the line.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    This thread has become a bit quiet lately. How did it go for any boardsies tonight in the races?

My legs were in bits after a return to circuit training this week. Didn't feel that fast, but I didn't do a whole lot of work. Was hanging out for much of the race. Started to move up in the last couple of laps, that little touch of wheels just after the bell did me a favour. Had to sprint to get back on, but it was a small enough group then for the actual sprint.

Videos of the finishes - L/SL:

And SS/S:

That touch of wheels on the last lap put paid to my race. We all stayed up, but I completely lost momentum and the bunch was gone.

Great evening for racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tough in those conditions, I was happy with how I did though. We had a small group with a big handicap which was nine riders, then dropped to six, then dropped to five. Ten minutes in I was dying with the heat and the pace, knew we had 20 more minutes to go and reckoned I had no way of keeping it up. But in the front group of five and 3/4 of a lap ahead of the chasing group it would be silly to drop out when there was the potential to place.

Managed to hold it on for the next twenty minutes, we were all fncked at that stage, you could see our pace was dropping and the chasing group caught us when the whistle blew for the final two laps. So that was a bit tough to be caught after all that work, but the guys in the chasing group were ****ed too, which I take solace in. I lack the killer instinct to fight in a big group so ended up falling back down the group and coming in about halfway down the field. But very happy with the level of effort I managed to maintain with such a small group.

I feel bad for the guy who basically kept cracking the whip to get us around. He took more than his fair share of time at the front in between shouting at us to come forward and keeping us in line. He placed fourth in the end, but if we'd been a bigger group he would have taken first.

It took me a long time to realise that often when I'm feeling fried in a race, everyone around me is just as wrecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

seamus wrote: »
    Tough in those conditions, I was happy with how I did though. We had a small group with a big handicap which was nine riders, then dropped to six, then dropped to five. Ten minutes in I was dying with the heat and the pace, knew we had 20 more minutes to go and reckoned I had no way of keeping it up. But in the front group of five and 3/4 of a lap ahead of the chasing group it would be silly to drop out when there was the potential to place.

Managed to hold it on for the next twenty minutes, we were all fncked at that stage, you could see our pace was dropping and the chasing group caught us when the whistle blew for the final two laps. So that was a bit tough to be caught after all that work, but the guys in the chasing group were ****ed too, which I take solace in. I lack the killer instinct to fight in a big group so ended up falling back down the group and coming in about halfway down the field. But very happy with the level of effort I managed to maintain with such a small group.

I feel bad for the guy who basically kept cracking the whip to get us around. He took more than his fair share of time at the front in between shouting at us to come forward and keeping us in line. He placed fourth in the end, but if we'd been a bigger group he would have taken first.

My strava says the pace was pretty consistent for L. Just losing too much time through the corners and there seemed to be a fairly concerted effort from behind to make the catch. Too few men really to work against a much bigger bunch.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    My strava says the pace was pretty consistent for L. Just losing too much time through the corners and there seemed to be a fairly concerted effort from behind to make the catch. Too few men really to work against a much bigger bunch.

According to the spreadsheet, there were 21 SL chasing 9 Limit. It was always going to be tough to stay away - fair play for making it stretch to the second last lap!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Regarding the corners, this year I've learned (more like was forced to learn) that there isn't a single corner there that you need to use your brakes for. If you're on the front hands off brakes and just lean into them and you can keep pedalling through most of them. All of the corners except one there are banked a good bit, even in the wet there should be no grip issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm fine in the corners on my own, pedalling all the way, it's when I'm surrounded by other riders that I become a pussy :D

So, the Sally Gap round is done and dusted. Any boardsies who did it still alive?

As for myself, just not up to scratch in scratch. Was dropped with about 10k to go, even before the actual climbing started. Until that point the average speed for the scratch group was 43km/h. Was well into the red even before we turned off the N81 for the lakes. At least it was some good training. Next week is a TT, will take that at my own pace, still it'll hurt though.

It was definitely another fast night - more Strava records broken on what must be one of heavier raced circuits in the country. Couldn't hold the wheels when two Scratch rode away, but came good at the bottom of the climb. Cracking night for it, and the handicaps were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just about managed it. Broke a few records today, unfortunately it was records such as highest HR! Was really tough, and really struggled on the last part of the climb and blew up.

The guy who won (Seamus Nolan) was strong all day and was always at the front so deserved it.

Great day for it, really well organised, thanks to all the marshalls, a great evening on the bike

Enjoyed that one immensely. There was only six of us in Semi Scratch, but we opted to go off on our own and worked very well together on the lap of the lake. We were hearing 20 seconds on Semi Limit as we turned up the Sally Gap, so were confident we'd make the catch. Sure enough, we could see them up the road after a while and then could see another group, presumably Limit, just ahead. We all came together on the steep big near Kippure House and there was a bit of a selection as various people pushed the pace and tried to get away.

Surprised myself by staying with the group until after the last Liffey Bridge, but then around 10 or 12 guys just moved away as it kicked up and that was my race done. Diarmuid and Mr Grieves were the first of Scratch to pass me on the final kick and they were really motoring. Buffalo followed shortly afterwards and looked like he was emptying himself to try get up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Diarmuid and Mr Grieves were the first of Scratch to pass me on the final kick and they were really motoring.
    Couldn't hold his wheel the whole way up. uggg. Nasty race.

• Advertisement

Buffalo followed shortly afterwards and looked like he was emptying himself to try get up to them.

Legs came back to me too late after dropping their wheels. Figured I may as well get a workout in. Second unplaced Scratch!

Advertisement