Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence substitution

Options
  • 03-04-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as some of you may know I have a 223. I'm looking to get a shottie and want to know if it's just a matter of changing details on current licence from rifle to shotgun? Thanks all, all replies welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Substitutions are meant to be "like for like". This varies something fierce from district to district with some allowing only the very definition of the meaning (a .223 bot action rifle for anther .223 bolt action rifle), and others being less strict (allowing changes for calibers that are close like a .223 for a .220/.204).

Others will even allow for changes from vermin caliber to deer caliber (.223 to 22-250/.243, etc). However i've never heard of a change from a .223 to a shotgun. Other than both being unrestricted they are not he same make, caliber, type of firearm. You can chat to your FO about it, but chances are you are looking at a cancellation of the .223 with an FCA2, (if being traded against the shotgun) and a new application for the shotgun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Depends on your superintendent, I substituted a 6.5 for a shotgun 18 months ago and more recently a different shotgun for a. 220 swift. As Cass said,it's all down to your local station

Really?

My old FO was about the best i've ever had to deal with. He was a shooter, hunter and knew his firearms. He done substitutions i never thought i'd get away with, but never was i able to change a shottie for a rifle.

Really does depend on the district.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

Longranger wrote: »
    Depends on your superintendent, I substituted a 6.5 for a shotgun 18 months ago and more recently a different shotgun for a. 220 swift. As Cass said,it's all down to your local station

I know a few people who have swaped centre fire for shotguns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Thanks lads. Might go the trade in route. How long are licences taking to process these days or is that different all over the country too lol. Will try the substitute first and then have no option but new application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

My understanding of a sub was
    A unrestricted license for another one. So in theory air rifle to centerfire.
    But you try telling that to your FO.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

kay 9 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Might go the trade in route. How long are licences taking to process these days or is that different all over the country too lol. Will try the substitute first and then have no option but new application.

The last 2 subs I've done
    Handed it in on a Monday, new licence in the post on Friday (5 days)
    Handed it in on a Friday , licence back Monday week (10 days)

But when my brother handed in his last sub it took 5 weeks :eek:

I might have been very lucky........twice!!!

5 weeks I can do if I have to tbh. Any longer and it's extracting the urine I think. Who knows I might get a straight sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Good job your not in Limerick it took me almost 6 months for a sub from .22lr to .17hmr and a lad I know in the same station just over 6 months for the same swap

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cass wrote: »
    Really?

My old FO was about the best i've ever had to deal with. He was a shooter, hunter and knew his firearms. He done substitutions i never thought i'd get away with, but never was i able to change a shottie for a rifle.

Really does depend on the district.

Yup, I've swapped both ways ( probably should word that differently ;) ) and no real hassle.
    Luck of the draw as to who we have to deal with IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I was offered a sub from 22LR to 308 at my local when I was checking up on the prospects of getting a deer calibre so nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I believe from the guidelines it is a purpose based like for like, so if you want to substitute a .22 for a shotgun for shooting rabbits it should be allowed.

That said the guards apparently interpret laws as the see fit.

When assessing a ‘like for like’ application, an issuing person should be satisfied that the applicant’s ‘Good Reason’ for possessing the firearm has not changed since the original grant of the certificate. For example, substituting a non restricted long firearm for another non restricted long firearm is allowable provided that the applicant does not intend shooting deer instead of say species that are destructive to farming or hunting activities. As stated, the ‘Good Reason’ must remain fundamentally the same as in the original grant.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I believe from the guidelines it is a purpose based like for like, so if you want to substitute a .22 for a shotgun for shooting rabbits it should be allowed.

That said the guards apparently interpret laws as the see fit.

When assessing a ‘like for like’ application, an issuing person should be satisfied that the applicant’s ‘Good Reason’ for possessing the firearm has not changed since the original grant of the certificate. For example, substituting a non restricted long firearm for another non restricted long firearm is allowable provided that the applicant does not intend shooting deer instead of say species that are destructive to farming or hunting activities. As stated, the ‘Good Reason’ must remain fundamentally the same as in the original grant.
    Thanks for that, I should be ok then depending on the gardas discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

kay 9 wrote: »
    Myself and a friend of mine handed in substitutions into the same stations at the same time, I had mine in 3 weeks, he had his in 6 weeks, make sence of that!

Now that i'm familiar with.

Same story. Myself and three mates handed in our applications within a day of each other. The last lad had his within 2 weeks, i had mine in 4, the second last lad to hand it in took another week, and the first of us to hand it in is still waiting nearly 2 months later. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

Cass wrote: »
    Now that i'm familiar with.

Same story. Myself and three mates handed in our applications within a day of each other. The last lad had his within 2 weeks, i had mine in 4, the second last lad to hand it in took another week, and the first of us to hand it in is still waiting nearly 2 months later. :confused:

Ya, it really seems to be a lottery, but in fairness bar 1 application, iv always found them to be quick enough in comparison to other districts

Advertisement