Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BEERS thread :D

• 03-04-2014 10:12pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I've finally gotten around to doing this.

Three poll options (if I've done it right :o)

When? Choose one of the first four choices

Where? Choose one of the second four choices

What sort of venue? Choose one of the third four choices

Edit: Fergal, would you consider stickying this?

When/Where/Venue? 47 votes

April
    0% 0 votes
    May
    6% 3 votes
    June
    17% 8 votes
    July
    6% 3 votes
    City Centre
    8% 4 votes
    North County Dublin
    19% 9 votes
    South County Dublin
    6% 3 votes
    Civilised Dinner and Drinks option
    8% 4 votes
    Large bar?
    2% 1 vote
    Bar with reserved seating?
    0% 0 votes
    Somewhere quiet as we'll be a small group?
    10% 5 votes
    Cheap and cheerful Italian
    14% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Super idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Haven't voted for a month as they're all as good/bad as each other for me, depends more on the night that's picked.

Voted for 2 venues as either would suit me equally.

Hope I haven't broken the poll!

Well done on getting the ball rolling!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Haven't voted for a month as they're all as good/bad as each other for me, depends more on the night that's picked.

Voted for 2 venues as either would suit me equally.

Hope I haven't broken the poll!

Well done on getting the ball rolling!!

Ah as we are coming into the Summer season I thought a Saturday would be best?

If people who read and vote could comment on that twould be good :)

ETA this is based on the premise that it's a Dublin beers, as the regulars on here seem to be Dublin based, no geographic offence intended

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah as we are coming into the Summer season I thought a Saturday would be best?
    Shift work is the curse of the weekend drinking classes
    :D

If a date is decided I'll work it out somehow!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shift work is the curse of the weekend drinking classes
    :D

If a date is decided I'll work it out somehow!

How far in advance do you know your roster?

Travel is the bane of my life, it's as bad as shift work!

I heard you came over to our boat the one freaking day I wasn't there!

I reckon a beers would be good fun :)

• Advertisement

How far in advance do you know your roster?

Travel is the bane of my life, it's as bad as shift work!

I heard you came over to our boat the one freaking day I wasn't there!

I reckon a beers would be good fun :)
    Years in advance! Pick a date and I'll work around it, don't worry.

Yeah, was sure you'd be there, didn't realise half the s&b forum were on board as well! Never mind, with the season starting up soon we'll surely meet eventually!

Years in advance! Pick a date and I'll work around it, don't worry.

Yeah, was sure you'd be there, didn't realise half the s&b forum were on board as well! Never mind, with the season starting up soon we'll surely meet eventually!

I may be a newb to sailing, but am determined we shall have a fun evening :D

I reckon if six to eight of us got to meet up we'd do well, and it's a good foundation for the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Pretty Much all the options work for me with the exception of 2 weekends in April and a couple in July.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Great idea Stheno there is nothing I'd like more than drinking beer and talking boats :D unfortunately I am very restricted I get some respite for my son on the odd friday night but still need to be close to home for my wife so I picked North county Dublin as it will be a taxi ride for me, or if some of you want to go to Skerries early I will bring the boat down and take you for a spin :)
    No matter what day or place the poll comes up with I will try to make it even if it is just to say hi :cool:

I don't think it needs to be a sticky yet as I'm sure it will stay top of the page for awhile:) Then again I wouldn't even know how to make it a sticky if I wanted to :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Fergal, I don't drink, so I would be happy to pick you up and get you home at times that suit you if the dates work out for both of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Vexorg wrote: »
    Fergal, I don't drink, so I would be happy to pick you up and get you home at times that suit you if the dates work out for both of us.

Very kind of you :)

OK, now I want to vote for NCD as I want a spin in Fergal's boat :D:D:D

I'll go anywhere - an evening not drinking would do me no harm in the world, and anyway there's always the DART - so if Fergal is restricted in radius then I'm quite happy to head his direction :)

There's no way we can have a S&B drinkies without Fergal!!!

OK, now I want to vote for NCD as I want a spin in Fergal's boat :D:D:D

I'll go anywhere - an evening not drinking would do me no harm in the world, and anyway there's always the DART - so if Fergal is restricted in radius then I'm quite happy to head his direction :)

There's no way we can have a S&B drinkies without Fergal!!!

This is true :)

How long shall we leave the poll open?
    A week?

Give everyone a chance to see/vote?

There's no way we can have a S&B drinkies without Fergal!!![/QUOTE]

Of course you can just bring a laptop with you and open it up, I'll be there :)

Even if it's in Skerries I can't guarantee that I will be able to make it till that day so it would be better to pick a place that is handy for the rest of you and I'll work around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

great idea! can anyone come along?

boldspirit wrote: »

I'm not sure about mixing the Gin and tonic drinkers with larger drinkers :D but I'm sure it's open to all that have an interest in boats and alcohol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

Excellent count me in.

boldspirit wrote: »

Yep, all welcome, some of us know each other and crew together, others of us just know each other from on here, so it's a mixed group :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Reckon as long as it's not held when an event is taking place, anytime goes - at events you get sucked into spending time with crew - and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Ah bloody hell I'm late to the party. So many options. My head hurts.

Seriously though, let's kick it into gear before the sailing season gets going properly because inevitably people will just be too tied up then...

• Advertisement

Ah bloody hell I'm late to the party. So many options. My head hurts.

Seriously though, let's kick it into gear before the sailing season gets going properly because inevitably people will just be too tied up then...

Sorry I was trying to be inclusive :)

Half tempted to suggest Ollies in Skerries, they have fabulous booths that would seat about eight, and slightly bigger areas, and do food if we wanted it, and fergalb could attend even if for a few mins :)

That's me being biased though!

May is definitely the month people are most in favour of so that's settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Half tempted to suggest Ollies in Skerries, they have fabulous booths that would seat about eight, and slightly bigger areas, and do food if we wanted it, and fergalb could attend even if for a few mins :)

If??? Nibbles are a must.

Just putting that out there...

If??? Nibbles are a must.

Just putting that out there...

Platters :D Cocktail sausages/chicken wings/gougons/wedges/onion rings

Am thinking of Gibneys after the Lambay last year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I've got my Leaving Cert in June, so doubt I'll make it to this :(

I'll try the next one though, no pesky Leaving Cert then! I should also have some money from instructing this Summer so I'll be all set :P

Conchir wrote: »
    I've got my Leaving Cert in June, so doubt I'll make it to this :(

I'll try the next one though, no pesky Leaving Cert then! I should also have some money from instructing this Summer so I'll be all set :P

Ach I'm going to try and organise a few each year, next one maybe at the end of the "summer" season around October time? (I've officially appointed myself the beers organiser of this forum, you might see why I've been sent to the bow on my boat?)

You'll be well rich from teaching poor fools like me at that stage :D

Do you just do dinghy teaching?

And best of luck in the leaving, I remember the horror, only I had the Matric on top of it, which is gone now.

I'm old :(

You'll be well rich from teaching poor fools like me at that stage :D

Do you just do dinghy teaching?

Yep, dinghy start sailing, basic skills and improving skills. Lots of fun, once the weather is nice

Yep, dinghy start sailing, basic skills and improving skills. Lots of fun, once the weather is nice

I was in Howth one night and the weather was ****e.

Someone went out in a Vega for a lesson and promptly capsized in the mouth of the Harbour!

Few minutes later they were back in, wet and miserable

I was in Howth one night and the weather was ****e.

Someone went out in a Vega for a lesson and promptly capsized in the mouth of the Harbour!

Few minutes later they were back in, wet and miserable
    That's one of the advantages of instructing - you tend to stay much drier than the trainees!

That's one of the advantages of instructing - you tend to stay much drier than the trainees!

They both went in hee hee

• Advertisement

Ollie is a good friend of mine and I could sort out anything thats needed for the night, the problem with Skerries is the pubs are a bit of a walk from the train station for those of you that have travel by train :(

Advertisement