Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Boots - Narrow Feet

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All,
    As the title explains i have narrowish feet and found that visiting some of the decent shops suggested on here, my choice is fairly limited. At the moment its a toss up between the Asolo Powermatic 200 GTX and the Miendl Bhutans (which apparently arent for narrow feet but seemed to fit me!) - i know Miendl would probably be the superior brand, both boots are the same price and was wondering had anyone experience with either boot in terms of longevity, comfort etc? Any others i should be considering?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I use a pair of North Face Verberas occasionally and find them quite a tight fit. They've been pretty decent and they're nice and light, but they will get a bit cold in Winter. They are very comfortable.

My "do everything" boot is Meindl however, but those I have are a fairly wide fit.

If you're in Dublin a trip into the Great Outdoors for measuring and advice would probably be worth the extra few euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

+1 on heading to the great outdoors. Neil was with me for over half an hour this week ensuring I got the shoes I was interested in to fit exactly as needed (and that involved a lot of adjustments, as this was a special case). He really knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

agreed I went into the GO to try on some MEINDL's which I intended to buy online. All the lads I head out with said how great they were so I was set.
    Within a few moments of taking off my socks the guy I was dealing with had taken one look and told me they wouldn't suit me.

I have a long narrow foot and the Meindls are wide fitting, he recommended a pair of Solomens and they fit like a glove. They been up and down hills, mountains and fjords, in forests bogs and round fires. In short they're great but more over the lads in the GO were great and reaffirmed my faith in bricks and mortar stores. No point in buying anything like this off a site.

+1 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

Are non-leather boots really any good in boggy/wet ground? I had my head set on leather as thats what i had before but i do like the Asolo Flame GTX Boot - any experience on these? Im a beginner when it comes to hiking but plan a few trips up around the central Mournes, Benbradagh etc where i know it can get quite wet - are these going to keep my feet dry?!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

+1 for The Great Outdoors.
    I went in fully set on buying another pair of Meindls. I brought in my old Meindls which I loved so they could look at the wear.

Straight away the guy said Meindls don't suit my narrow feet.
    I wasn't convinced until he said my toe nail is probably rubbing away at the inside of my boot. He put his hand in to check and low and behold there was a large gouge inside the boot. The Meindls that I spent the the previous two years in were a horrible fit for me.

I reluctantly tried on a pair of The North Face Verbera backpacker GTX and fell in love with the snug fit straight away.

The sole on the north face boot seems to be wearing faster than the Meindls did but there is no comparison when it comes to fit and comfort.

I'm heading back to the great outdoors to collect my new winter mountaineering boots next week :)

Edit. One place The North Face boots aren't a patch on the Meindls is the laces. With the Meidls I could do a half arsed attempt at tying them and they were good for 8 hours walking. With the north face no matter what I do they are constantly loosening and opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I have pretty narrow feet and I've Zamberlan Vioz for long hikes which have been excellent since day one. I recently bought a pair of The North Face Hedgehog boots as a lighter option and they are a great fit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Munurty wrote: »
    Edit. One place The North Face boots aren't a patch on the Meindls is the laces. With the Meidls I could do a half arsed attempt at tying them and they were good for 8 hours walking. With the north face no matter what I do they are constantly loosening and opening.
    I had the same problem, but this knot has solved it for me.
    http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Advertisement