Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beretta A391 Urika issue

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Just picked up an A391 second hand today, got her home and broke it down for a thorough cleaning before putting a few shells through her and I noticed that after loading the tube, as soon as you let go of the shell lifter a cartridge shoots forward on top of the lifter to be chambered.

I thought this was strange as this wasn't how my 301 worked. It basically means that you have to empty the whole gun to cross an obstacle instead of just removing the one from the chamber, which I know the mag cut-off is there for.
    Also you also cant top up the tube after a shot as there is a cartridge in between the lifter and bolt.

I definitely put her back together right but the previous owner had lost the safety, the front sight and marred the mag cap pretty bad with a vice grips.

Also the drift pins of the trigger group have definitely been removed a few times.

The gun still cycles properly but I'm fairly sure that the cartridges are meant to stay in the mag tube until the bolt is worked.

Any ideas on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

It's definitely not working as it should.

This will happen on mine, if the chamber is closed and I pressed the button on the right side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Read about this some time ago. I cannot remember specifics so excuse me if i get the terminology wrong. (If i find the article i post i there)

Look at the Magazine retainer (second last and last row). It holds the cartridges in the mag until cycled/needed/fired.

Assuming you have cleaned it thoroughly and fouling is not the cause.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Sounds like you bought a heap of scrap metal and firewood. What do you mean he lost the safety? Theres something missing or damaged in that shotgun and it sounds altogether dangerous? Were you handed a tied sack and told there was a shotgun in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Cass wrote: »
    Read about this some time ago. I cannot remember specifics so excuse me if i get the terminology wrong. (If i find the article i post i there)

Look at the Magazine retainer (second last and last row). It holds the cartridges in the mag until cycled/needed/fired.

Assuming you have cleaned it thoroughly and fouling is not the cause.

Thanks for that, it seems it is also missing the carrier stop push button, which is hopefully causing the issue.

No fouling that would interfere with it, seems to be something missing from the trigger group, preventing the cartridge retainer from engaging when the shell lifter is in the lowered position.

Will be dropping her back down at the end of the week to let his gunsmith have a look at her.

Clown of a previous owner.
    Sounds like you bought a heap of scrap metal and firewood. What do you mean he lost the safety? Theres something missing or damaged in that shotgun and it sounds altogether dangerous? Were you handed a tied sack and told there was a shotgun in it?

Now lad, no need to be jealous of my guns just cos the guards still have yours. :pac:

Lost as in not there anymore, a fairly simple premise I would have thought.

I inspected the gun fully before and used these factors to negotiate a better price, which is why I got her for €700 when they go for about a €1000.

Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to load and cycle a few shell through her in the shop, I don't know many shops that would let you do that unless you knew the owner very well.

I wouldn't consider a gun without a safety dangerous, it's never loaded until into shooting position and finger isn't near the trigger until ready to fire.
    To rely on a simple mechanical "safety" would be stupid.

Met a few trap shooters who removed their safeties on their trap/skeet only guns out in Canada.

I needed the gun in a hurry so I took her as soon as I could, with the intention of dropping in the safety myself when he got the part in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

First off lets everyone cool their jets.

Consider your choice of wording, and remember proper forum etiquette, and rule #1 - Be Civil. If ye cannot do that then i'll act.

With that said and out of the way:
    Will be dropping her back down at the end of the week to let his gunsmith have a look at her.
    I'd be looking for a refund.

The gun has four problem sthat you've listed above and at the price you say:
    which is why I got her for €700 when they go for about a €1000.
    They run €1,050 new. Definitely not second hand.
    Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to load and cycle a few shell through her in the shop, I don't know many shops that would let you do that unless you knew the owner very well.
    I understand, and no amount off "post mortems" will help now that it is your gun, but you said above it was a :
    Seems it was more of a careless owner. Bodging things together, not taking care, removing/loosing parts. Just strikes me as a lemon that could go wrong again in the future and frankly a gun is not something i want going wrong. Not when it's a few inches from my face.
    I wouldn't consider a gun without a safety dangerous, it's never loaded until into shooting position and finger isn't near the trigger until ready to fire.
    As is saying that not touching the trigger is a good safety. On a brand new gun, with a safety that is not used then maybe i'd be slightly inclinced to agree. But on a gun with no safety, missing parts, and clear signs of abuse you have to wonder.
    Met a few trap shooters who removed their safeties on their trap/skeet only guns out in Canada.
    IOW not here. So the point is moot.
    I needed the gun in a hurry so I took her as soon as I could, with the intention of dropping in the safety myself when he got the part in.
    You would definitely be better of doing that. It may only be a mechanical device but i'd sooner have it than not, and frankly i'd not be comfortable shooting with someone that has no safety on a semi auto. An O/U or SxS you can break. All it takes is a forgetful moment, lapse in judgement, etc. and then it's too late. I remember a saying form when i was younger. Every one shot by accident was shot with an empty gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I have seen minters for 650 second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Thanks for that, it seems it is also missing the carrier stop push button, which is hopefully causing the issue.

No fouling that would interfere with it, seems to be something missing from the trigger group, preventing the cartridge retainer from engaging when the shell lifter is in the lowered position.

Now lad, no need to be jealous of my guns just cos the guards still have yours. :pac:

Lost as in not there anymore, a fairly simple premise I would have thought.

I inspected the gun fully before and used these factors to negotiate a better price, which is why I got her for €700 when they go for about a €1000.

Stick to airsoft, at least that way you won't kill anybody with a dodgy gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Doesn't sound like there's anything that can't be quite easily fixed wrong with the gun but the question is should that not have been reflected in the price to a far greater extent as you're telling us.

I for one wouldn't take it out in the field in the state it's in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

So if a dealer is willing to sell something with the safety removed, how is this permitted under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act 1980:

Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights -the main ones are:

Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price

Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do

Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

Advertisement