Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mossberg 500

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Who and where to get one. I'm in Galway. Can travel if I really need to. Any dealers in connaught preferably? Thanks. Would also appreciate thoughts on rivals for similar ££

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

kay 9 wrote: »
    Who and where to get one. I'm in Galway. Can travel if I really need to. Any dealers in connaught preferably? Thanks. Would also appreciate thoughts on rivals for similar ££

Have you rried Duffys in Galway I know he was selling remington 870's im sure he could source a mossberg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

A few people got them in Duffys and I think they were 500 but that was a few years ago....
    Not worth it in my own opinion!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

duckman!! wrote: »
    A few people got them in Duffys and I think they were 500 but that was a few years ago....
    Not worth it in my own opinion!!!!

Thought they'd be less than 500 tbh. I take it they're not your cup of tea. Recommendations? I'm open to ideas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Could go a Maverick 88.Even cheaper than Mossberg and near enough identical as it is made by Mossberg.:D They would be in the 500 or less mark.
    Cant go wrong with either gun. Remmy is abit heavier and has more steel in it.Mossberg is lighter and is however limited to a six or eight shot if you are going restricted.
    However any gun that has been in service with the US army and most Western armies as a shotgun isand should be tough enough for anyone.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

yeah, Mossberg has an alloy receiver as opposed to Remi steel one. handle both, see which feels best for you.( position of safety, etc)

• Advertisement

Thought they'd be less than 500 tbh. I take it they're not your cup of tea. Recommendations? I'm open to ideas etc.

If I ever had to get a pump action I'd buy an old 870 wingmaster!
    I've heard nothing but bad news from the new 870s especially the 887 nitro mag!
    The mossberg are not that bad tbh, my cousin has 1 and he likes it but even he will tell you its a gun for shooting the odd crow or magpie and that's about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Could go a Maverick 88.Even cheaper than Mossberg and near enough identical as it is made by Mossberg.:D They would be in the 500 or less mark.
    Cant go wrong with either gun. Remmy is abit heavier and has more steel in it.Mossberg is lighter and is however limited to a six or eight shot if you are going restricted.
    However any gun that has been in service with the US army and most Western armies as a shotgun isand should be tough enough for anyone.:)

I only thought the 590 was in service?

The main big difference is that the trigger group/housing on the 500 is plastic and metal on the 590.

The plastic one on the 500 fails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr9_SYMmEmY

Have a look at the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

!

I have an 870 that is new enough (3or4 years) and it is fantastic i have shot 1000s of rounds through it and never had any problem, The only thing i decided to replace is the MIM extractor for a milled steel one.

If I ever had to get a pump action I'd buy an old 870 wingmaster!
    The mossberg are not that bad tbh, my cousin has 1 and he likes it but even he will tell you its a gun for shooting the odd crow or magpie and that's about it!!
    Probably be hard enough get the wingmaster though. They were a great gun and finished a little better. Kinda like the look of the synthetic mossie. Preferably the one with the big mag. I'd have to plug it I know.

juice1304 wrote: »
    I have an 870 that is new enough (3or4 years) and it is fantastic i have shot 1000s of rounds through it and never had any problem, The only thing i decided to replace is the MIM extractor for a milled steel one.

I never owned 1 so I'm only going on what friends say,
    A dealer friend of mine took 3 back in 1 week with faults!
    A lad from my club bought 1 there only 6 months ago it
    wouldn't recycle(got stuck half the time) took it apart, grinded
    every metal part that make contact and it was better but still not
    Good enough, brought it back 2 the dealer after only having it a month
    And bought a new gun!!

Every gun will have people either praising it or slating it!!

• Advertisement

Is the bluing on the maverick as good as the mossberg? I see Patrick Carley has a couple of maverick 88 for sale. 495 e. Is that price ok? Patrick Carley good to deal with? Sorry for all the questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Is the bluing on the maverick as good as the mossberg? I see Patrick Carley has a couple of maverick 88 for sale. 495 e. Is that price ok? Patrick Carley good to deal with? Sorry for all the questions :)

I had a maverick for a few years. Bluing wasn't bad but wasn't great either, but you get what you pay for. Bombproof gun though, very easy to maintain and never had any real trouble. I did find it a bit heavy for long days out and I found the stock a bit long. I sold it when I bought my AYA sxs and I regretted it as I was always too conscious of damaging the new one. That's the great thing about a cheap-as-chips synthetic pump though, you don't worry as much as they take some serious abuse. I've since bought an 870 synthetic and I prefer it as it's lighter to carry and bit easier on the shoulder, but I reckon either would suit you grand. €495 sounds a bit steep for the maverick though, I paid €400 for mine new, but sadly the shop us out of business now.
    Try to get a feel of both and get the one that fits best.
    Good luck lad.
    LR

The Maverick is machined in Mexico, and then brought back and assembled in , I think, Eagle Pass, Texas. So they can proudly proclaim "made in the USA" Never liked the cross bolt safety, but that's just me. Never had a problem with the plastic trigger guard on my 500, have it about 11 years now. The "New Haven" I now realise was a 600AT, and had the metal trigger/hammer housing. Barrels from the 500 wouldn't fit the 600. 500 Euro seems pretty rich for a maverick 88, but giving that most things here seem double the USA price, perhaps that is the price.

Thanks lads. I'll try them anyway. Mightn't even like the feel of them when I do get a chance.

Jonty wrote: »
    I only thought the 590 was in service?

The main big difference is that the trigger group/housing on the 500 is plastic and metal on the 590.

The plastic one on the 500 fails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr9_SYMmEmY

Have a look at the video.

He didnt mention the one most likely part to break on the Mossberg is the actual plastic safty lever:).THAT will proably break quicker than the trigger group.However 10 dollars sorts that out from Brownells you get a steel replacement.
    Unless Mberg has changed something radically in the last few years that is causing this.I have one from the 1980s and two stateside that were of 90 s vintage and none have any problems in that dept.If it is such a worry buy either the [Expensive] 590 steel trigger pak or just another polymer group.
    As he said they are pretty much the same guns.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Funny enough, the metal safety on the 600at broke, and the replacement was plastic, so perhaps the metal ones are discontinued. Did anyone here ever buy the "line launcher" barrel and kit for their 500?e

If you buy a 590 here in Ireland, does it come with an 8 or 10 round magazine ? and would you be compelled to have the mag tube crimped?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Funny enough, the metal safety on the 600at broke, and the replacement was plastic, so perhaps the metal ones are discontinued. Did anyone here ever buy the "line launcher" barrel and kit for their 500?e

If you buy a 590 here in Ireland, does it come with an 8 or 10 round magazine ? and would you be compelled to have the mag tube crimped?

curious on the mag tube myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Just put a plug in it, doesn't have to be crimped.

Anyone know where I can get a 500/590? Worth getting onto ardee I wonder?

OK , this is going to look naive, but if I just use a piece of wood for a plug, Will it not arrive into the receiver loading area after the 3rd cartridge is pumped out?

Suppose A nice bit of timber turned down to fit into a spent shot shell, and 6 inches long would work pretty good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    OK , this is going to look naive, but if I just use a piece of wood for a plug, Will it not arrive into the receiver loading area after the 3rd cartridge is pumped out?

No because it goes in the spring and then the follower in front which is what comes after the cartridge. You can buy a factory limiter anyway and will probably come with it, It can't be sold to you as unrestricted without one anyway.

Anyone know where I can get a 500/590? Worth getting onto ardee I wonder?

You will have a problem with legal barrel length on getting one of them.The 500 or 590 with its 18 or 20 in barrel is a nice handy riot gun,but here you will be 4ins short unless you want to permanently affix a 4in choke tube or muzzle brake to it to get it up to 24ins, IE weld or braze onto the barrel end.
    That IMO destroys the looks and handling somehow of the 8 shooter version.There was a lad up in Galway who imported them awhile back,and unfortunatly for him was way ahead of his time with "exotics" in the late 1990s ,and was the only dealer I know who ever imported the Saiga 12 shotguns into Ireland. The Mossbergs had factory 24in barrels on the 500 and 590s and they just didnt look "right" to me somehow.

Just to add they can be obtained in the UK,but proably the DOJ wont grant an import liscense because the have the words "practical" hooked onto their offical title,and as we ALL know practical is very naughty here and there fore you mustnt have anything to do with it.After all why would you need a "practical shotgun " here if the sport is banned??
    Same reason one of the most fun and handiest little rifles in ,22 is almost impossible to get here the Henry AR7 "survival rifle" because of the word "Survival" in its title,the DOJ banned further imports of it.

Wordsand descriptions seem to terrify our dear leaders and betters just as much as the guns do.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You will have a problem with legal barrel length on getting one of them.The 500 or 590 with its 18 or 20 in barrel is a nice handy riot gun,but here you will be 4ins short unless you want to permanently affix a 4in choke tube or muzzle brake to it to get it up to 24ins, IE weld or braze onto the barrel end.
    That IMO destroys the looks and handling somehow of the 8 shooter version.There was a lad up in Galway who imported them awhile back,and unfortunatly for him was way ahead of his time with "exotics" in the late 1990s ,and was the only dealer I know who ever imported the Saiga 12 shotguns into Ireland. The Mossbergs had factory 24in barrels on the 500 and 590s and they just didnt look "right" to me somehow.
    Cheers for that grizzly, I'm actually after a 26-28" barrel with chokes add it'll be used for fox and other vermin with the odd bit of clay thrown in. Want to get a 308 next year but that'll be a whole new thread. I've noticed boards shooting community ain't as lively as it used to be. Where the regulars gone at all.

FWIW what you are looking for I'd get a bog std 2nd hand Mossie 500 in the config that you mention,just shop around and check out where the faults might be ie the plastic saftey and trigger pak and haggle hard.Cash is king at the moment in the gun dealing world and there is plenty of 2nd hand stuff on the racks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

All things considered equal, I would go for the Remington 870. Personally, I like the look better and it feels like a more solid gun. However, they are both great firearms.

Usually, I like the Remington's or the 10/22's because there is such an amount of available aftermarket parts. Having a well supported and used firearm is great when you are looking for a new piece or replacement part.

With that said, the 500 is also very well supported. I doubt, but cannot say, that it has as much aftermarket bits and pieces, however, it definitely has a lot.

Fundamentally, I think it would come down to cost for me. I would give a bit more for a 870 though.

FISMA wrote: »
    All things considered equal, I would go for the Remington 870. Personally, I like the look better and it feels like a more solid gun. However, they are both great firearms.

Usually, I like the Remington's or the 10/22's because there is such an amount of available aftermarket parts. Having a well supported and used firearm is great when you are looking for a new piece or replacement part.

With that said, the 500 is also very well supported. I doubt, but cannot say, that it has as much aftermarket bits and pieces, however, it definitely has a lot.

Fundamentally, I think it would come down to cost for me. I would give a bit more for a 870 though.
    Long time no hear mate. If it's too much hassle to get a 500 I'll revert back to getting the 870. Only thing at the moment swaying me towards the mossberg is the appearance. One other thing I found out through researching them is the 870 has a one piece steel chamber housing surround and needs to be sent back to Remington for repairs if problems occur which I doubt they would, if that's even true as I'm not familiar with the either tbh. Thanks for posting fisma

Advertisement