Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel Seven (7) Australia - GAA Coverage

• 04-04-2014 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭

Channel 7 will broadcast all 45 GAA matches next year. I'm going to be in AUS for 3 weeks over the summer so will avail of this if possible.

Has anyone been there before and know some details about them?

1: Like will any TV with an aerial or digital receiver (like saorview AUS) get the channel? Or are they a satellite station like Sky or a channel only available on sky?

2: Are they just 1 channel or do they have multiple like sports, news, entertainment etc. Any idea if the channel the GAA matches will be on is a popular widely watched station or is it one that hardly anyone watches.

I was thinking they'd have it on a main well watched channel because they're 10 hours ahead of us meaning if a match is on at 4PM here it will be broadcast at 6am over there. Or if it's at 7PM here it will be 9am over there so they're not exactly prime time slots.

Anyone have any info on them and what will the GAA coverage be like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Channel 7 will broadcast all 45 GAA matches next year. I'm going to be in AUS for 3 weeks over the summer so will avail of this if possible.

Has anyone been there before and know some details about them?

1: Like will any TV with an aerial or digital receiver (like saorview AUS) get the channel? Or are they a satellite station like Sky or a channel only available on sky?

2: Are they just 1 channel or do they have multiple like sports, news, entertainment etc. Any idea if the channel the GAA matches will be on is a popular widely watched station or is it one that hardly anyone watches.

I was thinking they'd have it on a main well watched channel because they're 10 hours ahead of us meaning if a match is on at 4PM here it will be broadcast at 6am over there. Or if it's at 7PM here it will be 9am over there so they're not exactly prime time slots.

Anyone have any info on them and what will the GAA coverage be like?

I haven't seen any Australian confirmation of the deal yet so there is no information yet as to how they propose to broadcast the games.

To answer your questions:

Channel 7 is one of the main terrestrial TV stations over here. Every household with a TV will have it. It also has two subsidiary stations 7Two and 7Mate on which the games may be (or are likely to be) shown. As far as I know most standard receivers can pick these stations up and they can certainly be viewed if you have a freeview box or a foxtel box.

Also your maths on the time difference is a little bit off. During the Irish summer the time difference will be 9 hours (East coast, 7 hours on the West coast) which means that the standard 2pm and 4pm throw ins will start at 11pm and 1am Sunday night Australian time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

SSK wrote: »
    I haven't seen any Australian confirmation of the deal yet so there is no information yet as to how they propose to broadcast the games.

To answer your questions:

Channel 7 is one of the main terrestrial TV stations over here. Every household with a TV will have it. It also has two subsidiary stations 7Two and 7Mate on which the games may be (or are likely to be) shown. As far as I know most standard receivers can pick these stations up and they can certainly be viewed if you have a freeview box or a foxtel box.

Also your maths on the time difference is a little bit off. During the Irish summer the time difference will be 9 hours (East coast, 7 hours on the West coast) which means that the standard 2pm and 4pm throw ins will start at 11pm and 1am Sunday night Australian time.

11Pm to 1am matches? That would be some craic in a pub if you had a good gang of yous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

The whole point of it been on 7 is that they now won't have to go to the pub and be fresh for work in the morning

The whole point of it been on 7 is that they now won't have to go to the pub and be fresh for work in the morning

Irish reputation in Aus has been saved! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Except they will have been up all night watching the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

Has there been any adverts on channel 7 for any of the games yet? Haven't seen anything myself

All matches won't be live. Some will be deferred by an hour or two if they clash with a big movie for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Any idea if this will be shown in Singapore? Think you get a few Ozzie channels here?

Orizio wrote: »
    Any idea if this will be shown in Singapore? Think you get a few Ozzie channels here?

haven't a clue mate. I'm sure you could get a live stream of the of the channel. If all fails their is the new GAA GO app from RTE and the GAA.

http://gaago.rte.ie/

€110 for all 45 matches or €10 per match. Might be worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

haven't a clue mate. I'm sure you could get a live stream of the of the channel. If all fails their is the new GAA GO app from RTE and the GAA.

http://gaago.rte.ie/

€110 for all 45 matches or €10 per match. Might be worth a go.
    Seems like Setanta Asia and the likes do NOT have the GAA this year.

this tallies with the off the record statment that the streaming solution will be the main channel to supply coverage internationally.

• Advertisement

Seems like Setanta Asia and the likes do NOT have the GAA this year.

this tallies with the off the record statment that the streaming solution will be the main channel to supply coverage internationally.

I'd say they still do but they probably sell a package with all 100 games from the entire year but for more money. Either that or they have the same package minus the championship matches. Premier sports can still be got AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'd say they still do but they probably sell a package with all 100 games from the entire year but for more money. Either that or they have the same package minus the championship matches. Premier sports can still be got AFAIK
    premier asia has nothing in the schedule or listings or any mention of a pay per view offering (which at this stage would be only a duplicate of the GAA/ RTE service)
    http://www.setanta.com/asia/Our-Sports/GAA/

And Premiumsports USA is commerical only
    Coverage of the 2014 GAA Championship begins on May 18th and continues through September. Residential coverage of the GAA is no longer provided by Premium Sports – please contact the GAA directly for residential viewing options.
    UK though indeed is showing GAA via satelite (and aparantly also live and catchup online!)
    http://www.premiersports.tv/gaa/gaa/

Advertisement