Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best players who never made it to a major finals

• 04-04-2014 5:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭

The 'best players in the world' thread had number of posts arguing that a huge part of a player's legacy is what he achieved at international level.

Now, for the most part, the great players come from international footballing powers, but there are still many who didn't get a chance to display their skills at a major international tournament (meaning - World Cup, Euros, Copa America.. African Cup of Nations?)

Off the top of my head (in no orer really, just typing them as they come to me):
    Best, Weah (can't remember what Liberia did in African Cup of Nations. EDIT: seems like he played and scored in 2002 at least), Giggs, Rush, Brady, Giles, Litmanen....

who else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cantona would nearly fall into this category. The only major he played in was Euro 92 (I think). France didn't qualify for WC in '90 or '94 and Cantona got suspended for kicking a fan in '95, missing Euro '96 because Zidane took his place.

Matt Le Tissier is surely ranked up there? Only earned 8 caps and didn't make the squad for France '98, criminal stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

flag_norway.png John Arne Riise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

George Best

Now everybody thank me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Oranage2 wrote: »
    George Best

Now everybody thank me!

OP mentioned Best.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Ryan Giggs and Ian Rush are the first that spring to mind. Gareth Bale will be too. Poor Wales :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

BMMachine wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs and Ian Rush are the first that spring to mind. Gareth Bale will be too. Poor Wales :s

Giggs and Rush bot mentioned in OP.

Do people not read past the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

BMMachine wrote: »

With Bale and Ramsey to build around, they could surprise people in a couple of years. They'll probably be 3rd or 4th seeds though which will potentially stop them progressing.

Di Stefano and Duncan Edwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

George Weah.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

David Bardsley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

sugarman wrote: »
    I reckon they'll make euro 2016 with the expansion of 24 teams. Top 2 teams qualify and 3rd gets a playoff. So very good chance.

Back on topic,

Falcao.

Almost certain to miss this summers world cup, and at 28 will be 32 IF Colombia manage to qualify for 2018. Considering they haven't since 98 till now.

He's surely played in the Copa America?

Such a shame he'll probably miss this World Cup, but Columbia have a very decent team at the minute so hopefully he will have a chance for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paul Peschisolido.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I was going to say Roy Keane but he played in 1994 didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liam Brady never featured in a major tournament.

Jari Litmanen also came to mind for me. He was great at his peak. I used to love watching him on Eurosport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Le Tissier
    Ginola
    Hyppia
    Cantona & Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I was going to say Roy Keane but he played in 1994 didn't he?

If Roy keane had of never played at a major tournament then it would have been his own fault .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Neville Southall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Stevan Jovetic. Maybe not as brilliant as some, but a talented player nonetheless who has never been to a major tournament.

Mirko Vucinic. Same boat as Jovetic being from Montenegro means he has never played in a major tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

DazMarz wrote: »
    Stevan Jovetic. Maybe not as brilliant as some, but a talented player nonetheless who has never been to a major tournament.

Mirko Vucinic. Same boat as Jovetic being from Montenegro means he has never played in a major tournament.
    So now we are just naming kinda good players who have never been to a major championship?

That list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Kenny Miller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

CSF wrote: »
    Paul Peschisolido.

Hmm, if people consider continental tournaments (Copa America, Euro) as major finals then Peschisolido shouldn't be considered because he played in 4 Gold Cup games for the Canadian team that won the 2000 Gold Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Andy Cole would be a glaring omission.

To provide some perspective Heskey managed to appear in three :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Steve Bruce was never even capped by England let alone go to a major tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Shevchenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bernd Schuster

He was on Euro 80 winning side but never got play WC.

I know he played in major final but world cup is still holy grail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

If Roy keane had of never played at a major tournament then it would have been his own fault .
    If Roy Keane had played at South Korea/Japan, Ireland would have won the world cup.

Edit: Got to the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Jernal wrote: »
    Shevchenko.

wc 2006 no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Jernal wrote: »
    Shevchenko.
    wc 2006 no?

Sheva played in 2 major finals; World Cup 2006 and Euro 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Alfredo Di Stefano never played in a world cup would be a big one. David Ginola never did either and only had 17 caps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

lee trundle

Advertisement