Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 4 Episode 1 "Two Swords" : HAVE read the books

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Next week's episode is called The Lion and The Rose, so I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't next week...
    It's definitely next week. Episode summary:

Episode #32: “The Lion and the Rose”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.
    Written by George R.R. Martin; directed by Alex Graves.

It's gonna take a lot of people completely by surprise as they won't be expecting something so dramatic at this early stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's definitely next week. Episode summary:

Episode #32: “The Lion and the Rose”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion lends Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) a hand. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) and Margaery (Natalie Dormer) host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) loses patience with Davos (Liam Cunningham). Ramsay (Iwan Rheon) finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) sees where they must go.
    Written by George R.R. Martin; directed by Alex Graves.

It's gonna take a lot of people completely by surprise as they won't be expecting something so dramatic at this early stage.

"Host a breakfast" doesn't sound like "have a wedding".

There's a pre-wedding breakfast thing where everyone gets presents and such. So presumably Joffrey will get his sword, Tyrion will puzzle out that Joffrey sent the fella with the knife and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Gbear wrote: »
    "Hose a breakfast" doesn't sound like "have a wedding".

There's a pre-wedding breakfast thing where everyone gets presents and such. So presumably Joffrey will get his sword, Tyrion will puzzle out that Joffrey sent the fella with the knife and so forth.
    In the UK they don't have a wedding reception, they have a wedding breakfast (even though it's not breakfast, it's the meal they have after the ceremony).

Next episode summary:

Episode #33: “Breaker of Chains”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 20 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin (Charles Dance) extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn’t safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound (Rory McCann) teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.
    Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Alex Graves.

I'm sure we call all guess what Tyrion is pondering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Definitely next week, watch the promo;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Hurry the **** up 5:30!

:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Seems like they are combining the Thenns with the Skagosi. Wonder if that will affect the marriage between Alys Karstark and Sigorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So it seems it will be Jon who comes up with the Lord Commander plan going off the ep. 3 description above. Sam really gets nothing in the show :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Liam O wrote: »
    So it seems it will be Jon who comes up with the Lord Commander plan going off the ep. 3 description above. Sam really gets nothing in the show :p

That's not what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Blay wrote: »
    That's not what it means.

Ah yeah I forgot, that was after the wildling invasion attempt :o nothing to see here people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Loved it!

Arya and the Hound stole it. Loved Arya as a cold blooded killer.

I enjoyed Oberyn. He's like a vampire. Very alpha.

Wasn't too impressed by the new Daario Naharis. Thought the last guy had better attitude even if he looked wrong. New guy just looks and feels wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wasn't too impressed by the new Daario Naharis. Thought the last guy had better attitude even if he looked wrong. New guy just looks and feels wrong.

I'm the opposite. The new guy is much more similar to what I imagined when reading the book... The former actor just seemed really out of place to me and I never warmed to him - a poor man's Thor...

Enjoyed it but wasn't as good as I was expecting to be honest. The Hound & Ayra stole the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I liked the first guy, he was a slimeball, this new guy looks too honourable/boring to be Daario, can you imagine him throwing the two heads at Deanerys' feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Loved it. The opening scene with the two swords was perfect and chilling, especially with The Rains of Castamere playing.

The introduction of Oberyn was fantastic.

The scenes with The Hound and Arya were great, that bar fight was very much like how I imagined in the book.

Can't believe the Purple Wedding is next week, great to have a big shock so early in the series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The hound is fcukin bad ass.

"I'll have two of those chickens"

:cool:

• Advertisement

I'm the opposite. The new guy is much more similar to what I imagined when reading the book... The former actor just seemed really out of place to me and I never warmed to him - a poor man's Thor...

I liked the first guys insolence. I felt it suited the character. In fairness though the new guy hasn't had much of a chance to show his stuff so I might warm to him. Still missing that 3 pronged blue beard tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Loved it. The opening scene with the two swords was perfect and chilling, especially with The Rains of Castamere playing.

Yeah, loved that as well...and then it flowed into the opening theme...class ! :)

One thing I didn't like was the fact that when the hound is on the floor fighting, the lads start giving him a few kicks :rolleyes:... come on...you'd be thrusting your sword into him, not kicking his ****ing plate mail!!! :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just finished watching it there. The last part with with Arya and the Hound is probably the best scene of the entire series thus far for me.

Forgot to add, I'm glad they've reintroduced Ser Dontos but if the wedding is next episode then I presume that was his only scene of the series!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Loved it :D going to have to have a flick through the book again though, I can't remember anything besides the main events that happen.

Was not expecting the purple wedding to be so soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That was some language in the Arya/Hound scene, she is turning into a really good character on screen, didn't like her too much in the books at first her later arc is great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Aryas scene was everything I expected and more. I love the dynamic between her an the hound, two great actors.

was joffrey only on screen for that short a time, a testament to gleeson that I wanted to punch his smarmy little face in.

overall a strong opener

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Aryas scene was everything I expected and more. I love the dynamic between her an the hound, two great actors.

was joffrey only on screen for that short a time, a testament to gleeson that I wanted to punch his smarmy little face in.

overall a strong opener

Arya has a great dynamic with most characters, especially in one-on-one scenes. She's a great little actress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

the cersei/jaime scene was great too, showed she was already fractured and breaking before jeof gets it.
    (Can.not.wait.for.that)

rewatching it now, worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Just watched it, probably the best season opener so far. Suffered a little from having to introduce everyone again and re-cap important events, but it handled it well. And as everyone has already said, Arya and the Hound were priceless

"I understand that if hear any more words come pouring out your c*nt mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every ****in chicken in this room"

"You lived your life for the king. You gonna die for some chickens?"
    "Someone is."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

JUst watched it.

Loved the Hound and Arya. Stole the show.
    Along Jamie waving goodbye :D

Loras the "pillow biter" hahaha

Jesus, the wedding so early. Non readers may still be in showck after the other wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just watched it, probably the best season opener so far. Suffered a little from having to introduce everyone again and re-cap important events, but it handled it well.
    ."

Would be my main criticism of it, especially the 'Hey, we have replaced Dario, this is our new Dario, remember now this is Dario.' introduction scene. For the other stuff they really should give the viewers some credit though.

I think some people need to separate the book from the show though, in 99% of the cases the book will be better, and has room for little detail that wont be in the show. Everyone will have their criticisms (Shae is one for me.) but to sh*t all over every aspect of the show is wrong.

Also find it an odd complaint that a sex scene was added to make the show edgy, when they are a prominent part of the books, and most of them read like they were written by a teenage boy who just discovered the word c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

I mean even fùcking Grey Worm is now getting a romantic subplot, like come on!

I took that scene in a different way; I'm sure in the books, Missandre (sp) said that two of her brothers were made unsullied, and that she wanted to stick with them. I thought that scene was alluding to that, with the sister chastising her brother silently.

I mean even fùcking Grey Worm is now getting a romantic subplot, like come on!

Where did you see this? I didn't read any of his scenes with a romantic sub plot at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Where did you see this? I didn't read any of his scenes with a romantic sub plot at all?

There was a glance between them at the end of the scene. Could have been nothing really but Daario comments on it, suggesting there is nothing Grew Worm can do anyways with nothing between his legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Why do they keep showing shots of dragon's shadows over KL in the trailers. That hasn't even happened in the books yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yep, Missandei - Grey Worm... what's the point?

Also, I liked the new Daario compared to surfer Ken in season 3.

The housemate started watching yesterday season 3. Just told him he's in for a ride. Can't wait for his reaction to the RW. Ah the innocence... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The hound is fcukin bad ass.

"I'll have two of those chickens"

:cool:

Now I'll have to eat every ****ing chicken in the place!!

Why do they keep showing shots of dragon's shadows over KL in the trailers. That hasn't even happened in the books yet.

Ya, it must be a scene from a dream sequence, or a flashback ( doubt they'd start doing flashbacks).

They are just teasing readers and viewers alike with it.

It may not even be in the season! Could be just a shot for the promo's.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ya, it must be a scene from a dream sequence, or a flashback ( doubt they'd start doing flashbacks).

They are just teasing readers and viewers alike with it.

It may not even be in the season! Could be just a shot for the promo's.

Oh you know what it could be? A vision from Bran. Deliberately teasing the non-book readers though. They'll be disappointed that Dany doesn't get off her ass in Meereen for another couple of seasons.

Oh you know what it could be? A vision from Bran. Deliberately teasing the non-book readers though. They'll be disappointed that Dany doesn't get off her ass in Meereen for another couple of seasons.

Good shout

A few cool visions like that from Bran will really improve how show viewers see his scenes.

Kunkka wrote: »
    Good shout

A few cool visions like that from Bran will really improve how show viewers see his scenes.

I think he was able to see the past through the heart trees, but did he have future visions? It could be a vision of dragons from the Targaryan's reigns though. It would be great if it could explore some of the back story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

It was nice to show that Dany isn't in full control of her Dragons. Going to be an interesting time to see reactions to her story in this.

"Lots of people name their swords"

"Lots of cnuts"

• Advertisement

Tower of Joy vision.

How class would that be?

Tower of Joy vision.

How class would that be?

It would have to be careful on what information was given away in any visions. We want exposition but don't want to ruin or telegraph any reveals.

The battle between Rhaegar and Robert would be a good one.

Tower of Joy vision.

How class would that be?

+1000 hadn't even thought of that I'd nearly be more excited to see arther dayne than ned back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I was surprised when Oberyn clearly stated that Rhaegar left Elia for another woman. I know that R/L was hinted at heavily throughout the books but was it ever stated so bluntly?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I was surprised when Oberyn clearly stated that Rhaegar left Elia for another woman. I know that R/L was hinted at heavily throughout the books but was it ever stated so bluntly?

That was the entire reason for Robert's rebellion I thought. Well maybe not entire (Mad King etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

That was the entire reason for Robert's rebellion I thought. Well maybe not entire (Mad Kind etc.)

As far as I can recall (and I'm by no means an expert, having only read through once) it's often stated that he abducted her but never explicitly that he looooooved her. Maybe I'm way off.

• Advertisement

As far as I can recall (and I'm by no means an expert, having only read through once) it's often stated that he abducted her but never explicitly that he looooooved her. Maybe I'm way off.

Just reading up on it, Barristan Selmy says to Dany:
    "Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna and thousands died for it."

I think because he was a married man and she was still a "maid" (nudge nudge), that it was frowned upon by her family and Robert preferred to see it as her being held against her will.

I think because he was a married man and she was still a "maid" (nudge nudge), that it was frowned upon by her family and Robert preferred to see it as her being held against her will.

I'd say even it Robert knew she went willingly, by the end I'd say he believed his own version of events, that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped her.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

A decent starter for the new season with the scene of Arya & the Hound at the inn being the highlight. The introduction of Oberyn, while an interesting character in himself, felt like a very cliched GoT scene "how do we hold people's attention while we introduce this new character? - boobs!". It felt really gratuitous and added nothing to the story, unlike the scene where he confronts the lannister soldiers which was a much better display of his character and his back story.

I too was disappointed in how they're portraying Shae as a spurned lover. It makes her look like a jealous teenage girl and undoes the character development from the previous season. She already knows that there's no romantic connection between Tyrion & Sansa having made the bed after their wedding night. Unfortunately her story in the book is too ambiguous for the tv series - we never learn her true motivations.

I think the changes in the tv adaptation have been for the better mostly. If nothing else the tv series displays how badly GRRM needed a good editor to trim away the fat of the story and reduce the huge cast of characters. But there have been a few missteps and Shae's story seems to be one of them.

I'd say even it Robert knew she went willingly, by the end I'd say he believed his own version of events, that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped her.

Exactly, it was war propaganda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement