Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sutton positives and negatives

Options
  • 04-04-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

We are considering a move to Sutton but know very little about the area. We are 2 adults and 2 children, one starting school in september. My husband works near grand canal dock and I generally head to town 1-2 days per week for work.

I would love to hear some opinions on both the positives and negatives of this area. Are there good non-fee paying schools in the area. How good are the fee-paying schools? We love howth but it seems to bit more expensive than sutton and longer commute to town. Is sutton itself nice to live in, good amenities, restaurants, etc.? Any real downsides?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

jessie7 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are considering a move to Sutton but know very little about the area. We are 2 adults and 2 children, one starting school in september. My husband works near grand canal dock and I generally head to town 1-2 days per week for work.

I would love to hear some opinions on both the positives and negatives of this area. Are there good non-fee paying schools in the area. How good are the fee-paying schools? We love howth but it seems to bit more expensive than sutton and longer commute to town. Is sutton itself nice to live in, good amenities, restaurants, etc.? Any real downsides?

Thanks!

As regards at second level there is Santa Sabina (girls) and St. Fintan's High school (boys). Both are very well regarded in the area. Sutton Park is a fee paying school up the hill. There is also Pobail Scoil Neasain (community school) which is co-ed in Baldoyle as well as St. Marys for girls

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Traffic around Sutton cross can be diabolically bad, as it can also be at the dart station during busy times, I've taken up to 45 minutes to get up the road the dart station is on, especially on weekends in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sutton is a quiet area not much in the way of restaurants or bars. Theres a chinese at sutton cross and the marine hotel. Howth is the place to go out in and its not very far or out of the way. Offington, Carrickbrack, St Fintans are nice areas mature quiet housing where its older people or families. St fintans primary, the burrow are the non fee primary schools and santa sabina and st fintans the secondary but they are not mixed. The only downside to living in sutton or howth is sutton cross. its generally okish during the week but come weekends, bank holidays & the cemetary mass its a right royal pain and the traffic can back up as far kilbarrack coming from town or to either end of Offingting.

What part of Sutton are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jessie7

Thanks for the replies.

The school situation seems to be better there than many other places close to city for boys and girls schools.

We haven't really figured out what part of Sutton yet. Will probably depend on finding the right house and proximity to schools, for secondary school ideally a bike ride away.

Definite downside regarding the traffic problems. Are there any plans to resolve the traffic flow problems at Sutton Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

the schools are within walking distance from most parts of sutton 20-25 minutes max plus you also have the dublin buses passing by both schools. Traffics always been a problem at the cross. the dart crossings, superquinn and general volume all contribute and all theyve done over the last 25 years is alter the traffic lights timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

jessie7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

The school situation seems to be better there than many other places close to city for boys and girls schools.

We haven't really figured out what part of Sutton yet. Will probably depend on finding the right house and proximity to schools, for secondary school ideally a bike ride away.

Definite downside regarding the traffic problems. Are there any plans to resolve the traffic flow problems at Sutton Cross?

Now I could be wrong but I did live in Baldoyle for 20 off years.sutton is lovely but could do with more community if that makes sence.
    I think there is just the shopping centre that's it really and it is very difficult to get I and out from.
    Other options
    Malahide or Baldoyle itself ?
    Just talking from Experiance.yep
    St nessains was a good school then ,I went there :-)
    And my nephews goes there now so no problems .
    St marys primary school is gone to my knowledge it's merged with the boys school.
    This happened last year .
    Anyway the beach in Sutton is lovely and it's a grand walk to howth but that's it really.bayside is nice also :-)hope that's of some help??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jessie7

Thanks for all replies!

Good to hear the school situation is good for girls and boys and easily accessible.

I did wonder about what kind of community exists around Sutton itself. Interesting point to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sutton's lovely. I went to St Fintan's primary school and Santa Sabina secondary. Both good schools. Well equipped, feck all social problems, kids usually go on to further education and good careers.

Sutton Cross is NOT as bad as people are making it out to be. Yeah, it gets busy at certain times of the day but it's not like the stretch between the mad cow and newland's cross at rush hour or anything horrific like that. It's a couple of changes of the lights when it's busy. Going towards Howth early on a nice day and away from Howth late on a nice day can be very busy, but I can tell you (having lived for 25 years on the peninsula) that it isn't the nightmare people make it out to be. Plus, live there long enough and you know how to avoid getting caught like that. Sutton Cross wouldn't be anywhere near big enough an issue to make me even think twice about living in the area, the positives by far outweigh an occasional issue with traffic.

The community in Sutton is very much a part of the community in Howth. Most kids from Howth go to secondary school in Sutton, many go to primary school in Sutton. Kids from Howth and Sutton go to activities in both areas. Scouts is in Sutton, Guides are in Howth, Tennis in Sutton, Sailing in Howth and so on. So there's the obvious mixing of friends between the areas. In Sutton itself there are two cafes (one more on the way), couple of ladies boutiques, two hairdressers, nail salon. At nighttime go to Howth (4-5 minutes in the car). They're right next to each other, they're both on the peninsula. It's fairly much socially the one area and the social scene and recreation options are great.

Advertisement