Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best cream for spots

• 04-04-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi All, can anyone recommend a decent spot cream. I have a spot or two on my chin and would love them to vanish soon. I have tried many products in the past and I find all useless. I just use toothpaste now as I have given up hope. Any tips please pass them on..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Panoxyl. You will have to ask the pharmacist for it.
    Active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

If i get a really bad one I'll use cortopin cream on it, it's 1% hydrocortisone which is a steroid. It's available over the counter in pharmacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I use La Roche-Posay Effaclar AI. It's not cheap (about €10) but you only need a tiny amount. It's great for taking down swelling and general calming. Just don't use it on spots that are starting to heal because it's quite drying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

bodhi085 wrote: »
    If i get a really bad one I'll use cortopin cream on it, it's 1% hydrocortisone which is a steroid. It's available over the counter in pharmacies.

As above. If benzoyl peroxide (I like the Quinoderm one) or cortisones do not work you can try something with BHA/salicylic acid. I use one from Malin+Goetz with sulfur.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I use La Roche-Posay Effaclar AI. It's not cheap (about €10) but you only need a tiny amount. It's great for taking down swelling and general calming. Just don't use it on spots that are starting to heal because it's quite drying.

It cost me €20! Incredibly drying, I stupidly put it all over my face thinking it could be used like a moisturiser! It said you could use it all over though. A week later and my skin is still dry despite lashing on loads of moisturiser.

So OP only put it on the spot or you could end up with desert skin!

• Advertisement

Frog Song wrote: »
    It cost me €20! Incredibly drys I stupidly put it all over my face thinking it could be used like a moisturiser! It said you could use it all over though. A week later and my skin is still dry despite lashing on loads of moisturiser.

So OP only put it on the spot or you could end up with desert skin!

Oh jeepers! It's supposed to be a targeted treatment! I hope your skin gets back to normal soon!

I must have got mine on offer without realising. Don't think I'd have paid that much for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Oh jeepers! It's supposed to be a targeted treatment! I hope your skin gets back to normal soon!

I must have got mine on offer without realising. Don't think I'd have paid that much for it!

Yeah I think Boots we're doing offers on it recently but it cost me €20 anyway.

I'm almost certain it said to put it all over or else I didn't read it right! Either way, lesson learnt! :o:D

Lashing on Aveeno skin relief like there's no tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be back to normal again soon, thanks! On the plus side, the spots are gone!

As is a layer of skin! :pac:

Well singeing off your skin probably would clear up your skin, alright :pac:

A moisture mask might help, Avene have one that doesn't irritate sensitive skin :)

Well singeing off your skin probably would clear up your skin, alright :pac:

A moisture mask might help, Avene have one that doesn't irritate sensitive skin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I love La Roche Posay Duo which is about 15 euro (the new Duo+ one hasn't wowed me too much and is more expensive at about 20 euro). If your skin is in any way hardy (not overly sensitive) then you can use it all over, otherwise use it as a targeted treatment. It's the only thing I've tried which reduced my cystic acne overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Mario Badescu drying lotion. You can get it in House of Fraser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Sudocrem is an excellent cheap solution. It works and it isn't drying at all. Although its difficult to wash off the next morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭numbernine

bodhi085 wrote: »

Hi,

Is this still available? I used it for ages then all of a sudden nowhere had it, I thought it wasnt being sold anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Hi

I have used loads of creams. IMO, there is no cream that will make a spot completely disappear over night. I have found the following good at greatly reducing spots and helping them go quicker:

Origins - 6/10

http://www.boots.ie/en/Origins-Super-Spot-Remover-Blemish-Treatment-Gel-10ml_1212570/

Not bad, but there are better options out there.

Aseop - 8/10

http://www.aesop.com/uk/skin-care-1/blemish/control.html

Recommended by Caroline Hirons and I got some on a recent trip to London as its not sold here. This brilliant at getting a spot to 'come to a head'. Their Blemish Control mask is good too.

MD Formulations - 8/10

http://www.beautybay.com/skincare/mdformulations/vitaplusclearingcomplexmasque/

This is a mask rather than a spot cream. I loved this, until my skin took a dislike to it and began to breakout every time I used it. Whereas I only use the Aseop one on my spot-prone chin as its too drying to use all over your face, this one is really nice to use all over your face and brightens up your complexion.

Aspirin Mask - 8/10

Loads of tutorials on You Tube explaining how to do this. Best to use Disprin, as its the only aspirin I've found that is soluble. Again, can be quite drying to use all over your face. I put this on all over my face, leave for a max of 10 mins. Also good as its a exfoliating mask. Since its Salicylic Acid you are using, make sure you are using SPF.

Used do one of these 2 or 3 times a week, but am trying to restrict myself to once or twice a month as its a bit harsh for my skin, but is fantastic for getting spots under your skin to some to the surface.

Alpha H Liquid Gold - 9/10

I got this as I thought it would held with a small patch of acne scarring I have. It didn't really do that, but what's its brilliant at is drying up spots. Also when you have lumpy spots trying to come to a head, its brilliant at bringing these to a head.

Only downside is that you have to buy on the internet, so when you foolishly don't close the lid properly and let it leak everywhere, you have to wait a week for a replacement. :mad: Also its quite pricy but I really feel its worth the price.

Sudocream - 7/10

I know that some people (ie Caroline Hirons) don't agree with using this, but I find that it brings the redness of brand new spots down.

Dermalogica Mask - 8/10

http://millies.ie/products/dermalogica-gentle-cream-exfoliant

Got this as it was recommended by Lisa Eldridge. I use masks a lot and this is my current favourite. I use this first for 10 minutes and then use the Aseop one on my chin and a hydrating one on the rest of my face. Good for getting spots which are under your skin to come to the surface.

Advertisement