Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player you enjoyed watching the most?

• 04-04-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Just a sort of a follow up to the greatest of all time thread, who would you say is the player you enjoyed watching the most? Not necessarily the best just the one you got most joy out of watching?

I love watching Messi in that every time he touches the ball there's danger and he never seems to do the wrong thing with the ball however watching him means having to watch Barca too who I don't like so I wouldn't pick him.

For me anyway I'm not a Liverpool fan but I've never enjoyed watching anyone more than I used to love watching Torres in his pomp with Liverpool. He was just magical. The pace, the skill, the style he was just an absolute joy to watch and it's sad to see him now, he just looks devoid of that spark he had at Liverpool and sadly I can't see it returning. But in his prime he was an absolute joy to watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just a sort of a follow up to the greatest of all time thread, who would you say is the player you enjoyed watching the most? Not necessarily the best just the one you got most joy out of watching?

I love watching Messi in that every time he touches the ball there's danger and he never seems to do the wrong thing with the ball however watching him means having to watch Barca too who I don't like so I wouldn't pick him.

For me anyway I'm not a Liverpool fan but I've never enjoyed watching anyone more than I used to love watching Torres in his pomp with Liverpool. He was just magical. The pace, the skill, the style he was just an absolute joy to watch and it's sad to see him now, he just looks devoid of that spark he had at Liverpool and sadly I can't see it returning. But in his prime he was an absolute joy to watch

Torres was devastating in his first couple of seasons at Liverpool but Suarez is on a whole other level, he is easily the most exciting player I have seen in 20 years of supporting the club.
    IMO Sturridge will go on to be a better player than Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ronaldinho in his peak was the best player to watch the last 10 years I think.
    Bias but Suarez is very, very good to watch atm, he`ll try anything. :D
    Props to Zlatan, Totti & Pirlo down the years too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ronaldinho - a joy to watch and always played the game with a smile on his face
    Alessandro Del Piero - an exceptional player
    Maradona - when I was a kid. Just sheer magic to watch.

People go on about Messi, but I prefer to watch Iniesta. An absolute class act.

As is Andrea Pirlo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I always remember going to Gazza when I was a kid and it was amazing the things he could do ! I went to a WC qualifier at Wembley vs Turkey and he absolutely ripped them up it was a joy to watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ES3vjXSI0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Messi. Head and shoulders above everyone since Maradona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

C.Ronaldo.
    When he plays well he will win the match for the team, and makes it all lok so easy. But he is also prone to the odd off-game. Also the expressions and tantrums are entertaining.

Used to love watching Damian Duff back in his younger years, so fast and had all the tricks.

Paul McGrath also, how he was like a magnet for the ball when he played centre-half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Robbie Fowler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Gianfranco Zola.

also Kinkladze was pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lubo Moravcik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ronaldinho - a joy to watch and always played the game with a smile on his face

Loved that about him.

Nowadays, I love Suarez's manic will to win. He's not a real person, he's some sort of computerised bot that keeps going, and keeps trying to score, chase down defenders, track back, tackle, sprint down channels, even when winning 4 nil with 2 minutes left.

I've never seen anything like it, and I perhaps never will again. Certainly, its remarkably unusual to see that level of desire in someone so talented.

Honorable PL mentions to Henry, Viera, Keane, Gerrard, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy (even though I had such hate for him), and the great, Jay Jay Okocha :D

No particular order, but a top 5 would probably be, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Ronaldo (Brazil), Suarez, Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dennis Bergkamp for me. Best player (technically) to ever play in the league, his touch and intelligence on the ball was on another level.

Others would be Henry, Del Piero, Iniesta, Rivaldo, real Ronaldo, and Totti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

Cantona and Berkgkamp a close second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

Zola, Zidane & Bergkamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Suarez for me.

With Ronaldo you know he is going to try flashy tricks, kick the ball and run very fast.

With Messi you expect neat brilliance, and you get neat brilliance.

With Suarez , you know something brilliant is going to happen but there is just this air of uncertainty.......twisting players inside out along the byline when he shouldn't have the space to do anything, nutmegs, 1-2's with defenders, nutmegs, missing sitters, nutmegs, scoring from ridiculous angles, nutmegs, and handballs on the goal line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ronaldinho for me, used to watch Barcelona games just to watch him play. It was as if he was playing 5-a-side with his friends, he would try anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Zidane, Ronaldinho and the real Ronaldo(especially during his Barca days). Nobody comes close to this 3 in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Paul Scholes.

His ability to pass, control the tempo of a game. Fantastic.

But the best was when other opposition players tried to shut him down and he would just turn and pass it off again. You couldn't get close to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Ronaldinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bergkamp, he was artistic in the way he played, a really talented genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Ronaldinho.Scholes.Pirlo.Adriano.Zidane.Henry.Maldini.Schmeichel.Both Ronaldos.Ibrahimovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Le Tissier, the man was a class act. Incredible touch and scorer of the most ridiculous goals, all while looking like anyone down the local could take him in a 100m sprint.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta. I could watch his change of pace all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kinkladze

Maradonna. That season he dragged Napoli to the league title- Genius

Suarez the best player I've seen live

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Not bothered to repeat the names already mentioned or players who've played for Dortmund or Liverpool, because that's boring.

Pablo Aimar
    Gabriel Batistuta
    Rui Costa
    Andrei Shevchenko (Pre Chelsea)
    Pavel Nedved
    Roberto Ayala
    Kaka (Pre Real Madrid)
    Michael Ballack (Yeah, a Bayern player)
    Dani Alves (The Sevilla one more so, he was freak of nature good)
    Javier Zanetti (The only thing I can say positively about Inter really)
    Ruben Baraja
    Juninho Pernambucano

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Nedved for me the chap was a class act in games the way he played was just great to watch

Also got to mention Maldini just a classy player, Henry with a bit of bias but his pace and skill was top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paul Scholes, Pirlo, Kroos, Roy Keane, Ronaldo, Damien Duff, Kevin Doyle, George O Callaghan, Joesph Ndo, Olliie Cahill, Frank Sauzee, Jaap Stam, Cannavaro.

All players I have been lucky to see live and I pay money to watch them alone at their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

i like old fashioned defending and my favorite has been Richie Dunne, was a monster for ireland and city, loved his last gasp tackles and getting a turn of pace out of nowhere to catch up with an attacker and go through him!

Other than him, kinkladze, tevez, duff spring to mind. Ronaldinho and Rivaldo from teams i dont support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Zidane. Watching him take a game by the scruff of the neck was a great thrill.

Fabregas on his very good days for Arsenal. Metronomic and purposeful at the same time.

Messi & Henry. I have memories of both in games where they were completely unplayable, a sheer joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldinho & Rivaldo very my two favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone mention Cafu yet? Brilliant to watch, even bad teams he always would be a willing runner. Always fond of Sebastian Deisler too, one of those real what he could have been players though.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anyone mention Cafu yet? Brilliant to watch, even bad teams he always would be a willing runner. Always fond of Sebastian Deisler too, one of those real what he could have been players though.

Deisler was incredibly unlucky with injuries, when he was fit he was a real talent. As for Cafu, he couldn't defend to save his life, but boy could he contribute further up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Messi. Head and shoulders above everyone since Maradona.

I thought head and shoulders was Ginola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Personally, David Beckham.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Personally, David Beckham.

One of the sweetest right feet I've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Le Tissier in his pomp was definitely worth watching.

As a Liverpool fan it pains me to admit that Cantona was a spectacular footballer, very entertaining, as was Giggs before he got old and slowed down.

For Liverpool it has to be the Barnes & Beardsley. Although there it was always a pleasure to watch Hansen glide around the pitch with the ball, building from the back.

Chris Waddle was a great talent too. Loved to watch Laudrup in action too.

In terms of pure entertainment mixed with tragedy/madness I strongly recommend getting on youtube and looking up Magico Gonzalez. Incredible talent, the best player you never heard of!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Liverpool - John Barnes, Steve McManaman, Sami Hyypia, Luis Suarez and Mr Steven Gerrard of course :p

others - Paul Scholes, Dennis Bergkamp, Rubén Sosa, Ibrahimovic, Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Thierry Henry.

He was absolutely brilliant when he was at Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another vote here for Bergkamp. His use of a football was almost balletic.

Of recent times Messi obviously stands out. Future generations will be raging they missed out on seeing him.

For Irish players, Keane at his peak charging about the pitch was a joy to behold. I felt Ireland could do anything with him in the side. Also Duff in his prime, jinking his way around defenders was great to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Marco Van Basten undoubtedly the best European player/Striker of his decade.

Rudd Gullit.
    Frank Rykard
    Koeman
    Paolo Maldini
    Franco Baresi
    Attilio Lombardo
    Tony Yeboah
    Gordon Strachan
    De boer brothers
    Romario
    Hristo Stoichkov
    Marc Overmars
    Martin Dahlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Jay Jay Okocha was mesmerizing on his on days. But the best I've seen has to be Brazilian Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Surprised Andersonisgod hasn't had a say in this thread yet. :D

Knex. wrote: »

It takes time to write sycophantic praise :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Knex. wrote: »

I thought this is about players you enjoyed watching, not the very best players ever and the very best team of all time that reinvented football. :o

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Leonardo Dede, Flemming Powlsen and Henrik Larsson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Real Ronaldo
    Ronaldinhio
    Guti
    Ginola
    Asprilla
    Redondo
    Riquelme
    Bergkamp
    Djalminhia
    Kinkladze
    Juninhio pernumbucano
    Iniesta
    Beckham
    Maldidi

All amazing players to watch, I'm sure I'm missing some though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Redondo
    Barnes
    Zidane
    Platini
    Zico

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

C.Ronaldo.
    When he plays well he will win the match for the team, and makes it all lok so easy. But he is also prone to the odd off-game. Also the expressions and tantrums are entertaining.

Used to love watching Damian Duff back in his younger years, so fast and had all the tricks.

Paul McGrath also, how he was like a magnet for the ball when he played centre-half.

Don't know how you can have Ronaldo as the player you like watching the most. He contributes little enough apart from scoring goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

The Real Ronaldo

I hear this real Ronaldo thing a lot. Cristiano Ronaldo has 369 goals in 563 games, not bad for a 'fake.'

• Advertisement
Advertisement