Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English club support census

• 04-04-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I think it's fair to say that that the majority of threads in this forum are related to English football. I expect that the majority of people are probably Man Utd and Liverpool supporters as they seem to be the big 2 in Ireland. It'd be interesting to see a breakdown though. So, who do you support?

Which English team do you support? 392 votes

Liverpool
    0%
    Chelsea
    29%
    Dont be at yourselfbytemike65super_furryChucky the treeCyrusGuy:Incognitojesus_thats_greRainMakerThe RoostereigrodShaque attackmayordenisHolstenMalicewhatawasterlpool2k05Lister1DaemonicTonio 115 votes
    Manchester City
    6%
    bullpostpodge79JohnerPanthrom.j.wKillinatorHalloweenJackgetuponthisDazMarzGavRedKinghomer simpsonSaadystSanity_SaviourGarzoricohotsMeglamoniaCrackleLightningBluethebisonSureYWouldntYa 24 votes
    Arsenal
    2%
    nlgbbbblthPOKERKINGloobylouSEPT 23 1989karma_DarkglassesDuffy the Vampire SlayerTalib FiascoBench Press 9 votes
    Everton
    12%
    gandalfefbCatInABox[Deleted User]Mickeroobad2daboneJoeyjoejoe43thorbarryfarna_boyomega mangebbelrevzrobby^5L'profBoskowskiGreen HornetDeeper BlueQuazzieflyingoutsideshano_88 49 votes
    Tottenham Hotspur
    4%
    SickBoyBrian?ciaran76thebazdubrovColumbiaShanotheslayerLaois_Mannice_guy80Lumbowally79Col200sxFatRatpenev10eh i dunnoHercule PoirotLiamaloneGavlor 18 votes
    Manchester United
    4%
    garT-b0n3Robxxx7ziedthdavyccclickhereKingdomYidmarkesmithMr. Guappajiltloop2nd Row DonkeynippsHammarPacing MuleJohnDeeBig Pussy BonpensieroLeft Back on the BenchirishmoverLightbulb Sun 19 votes
    Newcastle United
    26%
    RasTaBigConkrankykittyThe_B_ManKalelsReq | uTeKlordgoatUnearthlyKevIRLDoctorEdgeWildMr.Nice Guygustafolassykkadoxbedrock#1raddohomerjay2005jonnyfingersMars BarNalz 105 votes
    West Ham United
    2%
    asdfgh86MoneymakerThat_GuyNufcNavanmassdebaterGT_TDI_150TaosHumChazz Michael Michaelsyohan the greatRyu Hayabusa 10 votes
    Aston Villa
    1%
    JanneGHammer ArcherCaptain HavocLETS BE AVN ITJelle1880me89 6 votes
    Other Premier league team
    2%
    Bounty HunterV1llianousmirwillbebackBrussels SproutCSFCOYVBTINA1984Vision of Disorder 8 votes
    Nottingham Forest
    0%
    chopperbyrnePaully DOnTheCouch 3 votes
    Blackburn
    0%
    grenacheOwaynOTT 2 votes
    Leeds
    1%
    ctrl-alt-deleteRikandirelandroverdundalkfc10MeIsGod 5 votes
    Other non PL English team
    2%
    ZaphpogcicaSt SenanMushyadaminhoJokerDoldyouthG.K.Sheela 9 votes
    I don’t support an English team
    2%
    DundalkDuffmanCollibosherollaettaDozen Wicked WordsbeertonsearlytobedKiwi_knockJunior DBeefy78ArielAtom 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Everton
    Still expect leeds to be in the top 5 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Manchester City
    No Vancouver Whitecaps?
    I'm out.
    (Chelsea)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Chelsea
    Spurs fans wont see this.

Chelsea
    Anyone wrote: »

True

Might be worth linking it to their forum OP.

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of fans on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Anyone wrote: »

?

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    ?

They have their own hosted forum on here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=837

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Newcastle United
    ?

Spurs & Chelsea have their own subforums for reasons unknown and keep to themselves because of it.

And now for the ****storm to kick off all over again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Manchester City
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Spurs & Chelsea have their own subforums for reasons unknown and keep to themselves because of it.

Chelsea fans have their own forum? That's news to me.

Manchester City

The Chelsea Superthread is quite active on the Soccer Forum to be honest.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    True

Might be worth linking it to their forum OP.

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of fans on here.

Thanks, didn't realise that. I've created a thread in the Spurs forum linking to this thread. Where's the Chelsea forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Newcastle United
    I guess I'm wrong on the Chelsea part. Could've sworn there were two supporters forums. I hope they let be back into London after that little blunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Chelsea
    Boom top of another league

Chelsea
    Thanks, didn't realise that. I've created a thread in the Spurs forum linking to this thread. Where's the Chelsea forum?

No idea tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No Melchester Rovers?

Manchester City
    No idea tbh

Some say that their fans never blink, and that they roam around the woods at night foraging for wolves. All we know is they're called the Chelsea Fans!

Some say they are wanted by the CIA and that they sleep upside down like a Bat. All we know is they're called the Chelsea Fans!

Some say that they appear on high value stamps in Sweden, and that they can catch fish with their tongues. All we know they're called the Chelsea Fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Interesting thread. Would have like to seen include some other options though, just to get a broader picture of the forum, to include options for Spanish, German, Scottish, LOI, and Italian football, some of whom, especially for the likes of Celtic, probably make up a larger percentage of contributors than any Blackburn followers.

Madworld wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Would have like to seen include some other options though, just to get a broader picture of the forum, to include options for Spanish, German, Scottish, LOI, and Italian football, some of whom, especially for the likes of Celtic, probably make up a larger percentage of contributors than any Blackburn followers.

Fair point. I did consider putting in the likes of Celtic, Barcelona and LOI teams as well but that would have led to a question of where would I have stopped then and also I wanted to restrict people to one choice of team rather than make it multiple choice. For those reasons I limited it to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Everton
    May well be early days although it does appear to be taking shape. No surprise at the first 2 but didn't expect Chelsea to be so close to Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Chelsea
    Are Chelsea fans mostly made up of younger fans who grew up supporting the club post Russian money. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that btw, not a criticism, but I wouldn't see an obvious appeal to Irish fans before that. Arsenal & Spurs in London have Irish connections, the north western teams have cities with Irish connections and obviously historically been successful. Leeds (and even Sunderland of late) have had Irish connections/mgrs/players/chairman etc which may have appealed, but Chelsea? Chelsea pensioners and unfortunate (not the clubs faullt, I know this) connections with far right groups in the 80s wouldnt have been a draw.

Not knocking Chelsea, and I can understand how younger fans might enbd up following them. Curious is all...

Ps. I like Mourinho, doing my best not to sound like I am having a go!

Manchester City
    A very rough guess purely from my interactions on here I'd say most CFC fans are late 20's early 30's onwards.
    Zola lured us in with his trickery and sublime skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Chelsea
    Surprised there are no Forest fans (yet!). When I was getting into football in the early 80s, a lot of classmates/friends/neighbours supported them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Manchester United
    Surprised there are no Forest fans (yet!). When I was getting into football in the early 80s, a lot of classmates/friends/neighbours supported them.

Might have something to do with them being called 'Notts' in the voting options, I know for a fact this is a big no no with Forest fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Manchester United
    I am pie wrote: »
    Are Chelsea fans mostly made up of younger fans who grew up supporting the club post Russian money. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that btw, not a criticism, but I wouldn't see an obvious appeal to Irish fans before that. Arsenal & Spurs in London have Irish connections, the north western teams have cities with Irish connections and obviously historically been successful. Leeds (and even Sunderland of late) have had Irish connections/mgrs/players/chairman etc which may have appealed, but Chelsea? Chelsea pensioners and unfortunate (not the clubs faullt, I know this) connections with far right groups in the 80s wouldnt have been a draw.

Not knocking Chelsea, and I can understand how younger fans might enbd up following them. Curious is all...

Ps. I like Mourinho, doing my best not to sound like I am having a go!

Curious enough how the majority of Irish people support only a small number of the many clubs with Irish connections;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

THFC wrote: »
    Curious enough how the majority of Irish people support only a small number of the many clubs with Irish connections;)

Only the ones with a chance of winning something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Manchester City

Any of the Chelsea fans that post in that forum post in here alot more in our superthread and match thread.

Theres never match threads in the chelsea forum and we're more active than the Spurs fans in here, FWIW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Blackburn
    Who the fcuk are Notts Forest? :mad: There be no club in Nottingham by that name.

Do you mean Notts County???

*I'll vote when the correct team name appears on the poll. Over to you Brussels :)

Fair enough, my bad. (I very nearly didn't include ye by the way)

Mods, can you change the Forest option to Nottingham instead of Notts in the poll please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Leeds
    Surprised how few Man City supporters there are. I thought there'd be more than 4 bandwagoners in there by now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Newcastle United
    I'm always surprised on here when people talk about how many Pool fans there are.

Growing up in school, 95% of fans my age were Man United. In my class, I think there was one City fan (who we always laughed at cause of how bad they were; guess he's laughing now) and a single Liverpool fan, but everyone was a Man United fan. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Its too far away for me to travel to support an English team.

Manchester City

Says "Lost Horizon" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm always surprised on here when people talk about how many Pool fans there are.

Growing up in school, 95% of fans my age were Man United. In my class, I think there was one City fan (who we always laughed at cause of how bad they were; guess he's laughing now) and a single Liverpool fan, but everyone was a Man United fan. :D

Its a generational thing.
    Back in the mid 80s 95% of the fans were Liverpool, with a handful of Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nottingham Forest
    Other Premier League team for me - Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Chelsea

Barstool/armchair and you're sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Chelsea
    Nobody supports Forest. ? Mmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Everton
    Surprised at the amount of Everton fans (16). Nearly as many as Chelsea (21).

Early days, though, poll might change.

Chelsea

I know a good few Everton fans tbh. Fair amount of them about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I know a good few Everton fans tbh. Fair amount of them about

Again it may be a generational thing.
    In the 80s Everton won A FA cup and two league titles.

Chelsea won nothing except a ZDS cup between 1970 and 1997 and were relegated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Arsenal
    Rikand wrote: »
    Surprised how few Man City supporters there are. I thought there'd be more than 4 bandwagoners in there by now.

City always had a reasonable support in Ireland.

My cousin picked them after the 1969 FA Cup final win.
    I picked them because of his influence and their second place finish in 1977 [pipped to the league by Liverpool - one point in it].

In the town I grew up during the 1970s and 1980s there were approximately 10 City fans.

In my class at school half of them were Liverpool. Arsenal and United next then Leeds, Nottingham Forest, West Ham, one Everton and two City. One guy started supporting Tottenham after the 1981 cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Newcastle United
    I personally know 3 Sheffield Wednesday fans, who have no connection to each other. Wondering is this normal or do I just live in a football fan bermuda triangle!

Bit surprised Leeds & Newcastle numbers aren't higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

I don’t support an English team
    Bolton

Apart from a year or 2, been constant disappointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Newcastle United
    I do know more Rangers fans in Ireland then Celtic. Which is little weird.

I know Wigan fan who supported them before they were anything decent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Blackburn
    What's this shoite about no one supporting Notts Forest.

So of the 362 people who've professed a support for an English team so far United and Liverpool combined make up over 56% and the top supported teams are:

1. Liverpool 29.6%
    2. United 26.8%
    3. Arsenal 12.7%
    4. Chelsea 6.4%
    5. Spurs 5.0%
    6. Everton 4.7%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Chelsea

Traditionally, Everton would have had plenty of Irish connections, the polar opposite of Chelsea so not surprising they're close despite the success Chelsea have enjoyed. That's not a dig at Chelsea fans btw, no different to United/Liverpool's fan base being inherently linked to the success over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Newcastle United
    I know two Everton fans. One used to be a Manchester United fan (and an even bigger Irwin fan) when she was younger but I dunno how she ended up with Everton!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Newcastle United
    It really does put in perspective how much RTÉ and TV3 will be absolutely gutted if United and Arsenal miss out in the Champions League next season ... If fixtures fall wrongly for them Liverpool/Chelsea could play on the same night so they could be left with City or Everton which could lose them massive advertisement revenue.

Very interesting to hear the PL's chief ex. revealing over the last week or so that United's PL decline has been negative for the international brand of the league as it cost "interest and audience".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Chelsea
    We're winning this one as well

Advertisement