Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattock/Dublin/where to get?

Options
  • 04-04-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭

Need a mattock to chop up a mound of soil and a couple of other jobs.

But looked in Woodies, no dice -- the internet doesn't offer much either -
    has anybody any idea where I could get one?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

katemarch wrote: »

i wouldnt waste my time with woodies to be honest . johnstown garden centre and orchard garden centre had them in stock last week as i noticed them when i was out there buying some bits and bobs myself . b n q also sell them both complete and also the mattock head and handle seperately . you can also try nad at out blakes cross and also mcquillan tools in blanchardstown and on capel street in dublin city centre . mcquillans are usually good for gardening tools . some of the builders merchants sell them too .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@handyandy, thanks a million, very helpful. McQuillans website shows nothing for Mattock.
    Johnstown Garden Ctr looks promising, thanks again

@handyandy, thanks a million, very helpful. McQuillans website shows nothing for Mattock.
    Johnstown Garden Ctr looks promising, thanks again
    forgot to say that its 18 euro for the mattock head and 9 euro for the handle in grange builders merchants in baldoyle . ask them for best price or trade price and you might get a few euros knocked off the price . hope this helps .

goodwins in lucan and mulhuddart sell the mattock head and handle too , around 2 euro cheaper in total than grange will be .http://www.goodwins.ie/p-1768-draper-mattock-head-227kg.aspx http://www.goodwins.ie/p-2626-pick-axe-handle-hardwood-353623.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

A chillington hoe is what you want, simply great tool. They can come with different weight and type of heads ...

https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/chillington-heavy-duty-hoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

B&Q use to sell Mattocks, a great tool. Otherwise you will get them in a Farmers Co-Op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I found one!! In Baumanns of Stillorgan, which was more local to me, being Southside. It cost E32.95, a little dearer than mentioned above but I thought it was worth it for the convenience.
    Thanks for all the help, lads; the Mattock has been put to good use already, chopping into a weed-matted spoil-heap that has to be removed.
    Baumanns is like a country hardware shop from thirty years ago, but in the heart of prosperous suburbia: they seem to have EVERYTHING! (at a price)

I found one!! In Baumanns of Stillorgan, which was more local to me, being Southside. It cost E32.95, a little dearer than mentioned above but I thought it was worth it for the convenience.
    Thanks for all the help, lads; the Mattock has been put to good use already, chopping into a weed-matted spoil-heap that has to be removed.
    Baumanns is like a country hardware shop from thirty years ago, but in the heart of prosperous suburbia: they seem to have EVERYTHING! (at a price)
    nice to hear you got sorted , it sounds like a shop id like to visit myself in the near future for a look around . i picked up a mattock myself a trade price this morning in a builders merchants . grand yoke for breaking cruddy soil

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cant beat a mattock for beating stuff to bits, levering heavy roots/stones/stuff out of the ground (i snapped two forks before making the investment!), every gardener should have one imho.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

I got one in B&Q a few years ago. Can't remember how much it cost but it's a great tool. It's got a good heavy head. Wouldn't bother with a hoe/adze as they're too light.

• Advertisement

Sorry but you're dead wrong about the chillington hoes. Don't be put off by the word 'hoe'. The head is over 1 kg in weight. Rips through uncultivated ground, cuts through thick roots and bark no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

1kg? Like a bag of sugar? Good luck with that.

No luck needed, I've used mine many times and on baked earth and it's an animal. It has as much to do with the technique as anything ...
    Go to 3.08 ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKKaw5Lc6c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

redser7: where did you get the chillington hoe?

Advertisement