Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallins By Pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Not just that. They are also well advanced, to CPO stage, for upgrading the Nass By-pass to 3 lanes and a new Newhall junction.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/M7NaastoNewbridgeBy-PassUpgradeScheme2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It should make a big difference to traffic around the Monread area if/when this comes to pass, I'd have thought. I didn't even realise a Sallins bypass was planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

The link road through the middle of the village by Lidl is a huge waste of money. This road is overkill considering there is access via bodenstown cross and at the opposite end also.

Link roads shouldnt go through the middle ot towns - just look at the mess in Maynooth with the main access road from the motorway going to the t junction in the middle of Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Can't see where the money for it is going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Development levies on the Kerry Foods development I believe.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »

Possibly true, KCC were pushing the Sallins bypass including the access route through the middle of the village on the basis that Kerry wouldnt get their planning permission - the Sallins bypass would be required for the increased traffic to Kerry's completed site.

MYOB wrote: »

This scheme and the third lane upgrade will cost significant money, more than Newlands Cross I guess, so levies alone won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

A major set of road works is to commence on the Sallins Road / M7 motorway bridge during the months of July and August. The works are being carried out by the NRA and involve essential maintenance and safety upgrades that are now due.

Traffic Impact: The project will start on August 6th and will run for between 8-10 weeks. For the first two weeks ONLY the bridge will employ a one-way system with traffic flowing from Sallins->Naas but not back from Naas->Sallins. For that two week window, an official detour has been set up via Kill / Straffan though it is expected that local traffic will use one of the many shorter, alternate routes with the detour mainly being taken up with HGVs and bus traffic. After the first two weeks traffic will flow in both directions as normal during day time. The works will go on 24 hours a day and a traffic light system will be occasionally used between the hours of 8pm-6am. Pedestrians will be able to walk across the bridge at all times including the one way fortnight.

I met with the NRA twice and discussed various permutations with them including the possibility of reversing the flow of the one way system at morning and evening. However the NRA calculates that the arrangement chosen is the one that will cause the least disruption based on modelling of traffic flows along the Monread, Millennium, Sallins and other local roads.

Update from Cllr Lawless's blog
    http://jameslawless.ie/sallins-road-m7-bridge-upgrade-works/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

brian_t wrote: »
    Update from Cllr Lawless's blog

Just read the blog......while I don't welcome the disruption for 8-10 weeks, the one good thing will be the installation of ducting for lights on the bridge. As a regular pedestrian on winter evenings over the bridge, always wary of being hit again one of the many footpath cyclists. Can't understand why this work wasn't done in June-August timeframe when traffic is a lot lighter.

Flem31 wrote: »
    Just read the blog........ June-August timeframe when traffic is a lot lighter.

There's already a separate thread for the bridge work;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057251035

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

There's already a separate thread for the bridge work;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057251035

I'm not quite sure why you quoted me. My post pre-dated the other thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Looking at the map in the OP you can see the corridor that was left in Catlesize for a proposed future road which will now not come to pass.
    I wonder if that means there'll be more homes built in that development or will todays regulations for greater green spaces scupper that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'm not quite sure why you quoted me. My post pre-dated the other thread.

I think perhaps because the bridge work has nothing to do with the bypass, so your update may have caused confusion for those not familiar with the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

sadie06 wrote: »
    I think perhaps because the bridge work has nothing to do with the bypass, so your update may have caused confusion for those not familiar with the plans.

Where has it been said that the road will not go ahead?? I know of a road in Dun Laoghaire where a corridor was kept free of housing in the 1960's and the road was only built over 40 years later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

tallpaul wrote: »
    Where has it been said that the road will not go ahead?? I know of a road in Dun Laoghaire where a corridor was kept free of housing in the 1960's and the road was only built over 40 years later...

I think you intended to quote somebody else, but to answer your question, the road is going ahead, just not through the corridor purposefully left green in Castlesize.

sadie06 wrote: »
    ... the road is going ahead, just not through the corridor purposefully left green in Castlesize.

The green belt running through Castlefen and Castlesize was left alone because of the additional costs in building bridges over the Liffey, canal or railway if this was used as a surface road.

One of the alternatives to the OP's map, proposed by Arup to KCC was a Tunnel under Castlesize - obviously this was never going to happen due to costs. This was mentioned as one of the three proposed alternatives at An bord Pleanala's oral hearing in Newbridge in June/May.

The green belt in Castlesize was always the property of the Castlesize's developer - Noonans, and presumably remains so even after Castlesize was taken in charge by KCC earlier this year. Once the Sallins link road is built behind castlesize, this green belt will become more attractive for housing or access.

And presumably remains so even after Castlesize was taken in charge by KCC earlier this year. Once the Sallins link road is built behind castlesize, this green belt will become more attractive for housing or access.

I'd be surprised if ownership was not transferred when taking in charge, but you are spot on with rest of post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

See page 2 on this document - looks like the Sallins Bypass will go ahead soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Backs up what I've been hearing. At recent local meeting for Sallins local area plan, local TD's expected the bypass, M7 widening and interchange to get the necessary funding in near future.

spacetweek wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

HonalD wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Election coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I live in hope, but I think it's all talk
    http://jameslawless.ie/topic/bypass/

coffeepls wrote: »
    I live in hope, but I think it's all talk
    http://jameslawless.ie/topic/bypass/

As a non government councillor, he has zero input into any decision. And will be the last to be told if a decision is made. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HonalD wrote: »
    As a non government councillor, he has zero input into any decision. And will be the last to be told if a decision is made. :)

KCC is an FG/FF coalition currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

spacetweek wrote:

I thought this had been shelved only recently. Wouldn't be holding my breath but would be very welcomed.

Congestion on a major motorway that far out of Dublin in rush hour is unacceptable.

Does anyone know if there will be a hgv ban in Sallins when the by pass goes in? It's works well for Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement