Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First attempt at all grain (BIAB)

Options
  • 04-04-2014 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

First post in this neck of the woods to coincide with my first all grain brew :o

I've decided to have a go at a batch of BIAB and would really appreciate it if a few regulars on here would take a look at my brew plan and advise if there's anything wrong with what i'm planning or how improvements could be made.

30L Water
    5.00 kg Maris Otter
    0.50 kg Crystal Malt

60 minute mash @ 65°
    5 minute mashout @ 76°

90 minute boil

10.00 g Chinook - 60.0 min
    10.00 g Simcoe - 30.0 min
    15.00 g Ahtanum - 15.0 min
    15.00 g Galaxy - 15.0 min
    30.00 g Cascade - 10.0 min
    20.00 g Citra -5.0 min
    15.00 g Nelson Sauvin - 5.0 min
    20.00 g Ahtanum - 1.0 min
    15.00 g Simcoe- 1.0 min
    10.00 g Nelson Sauvin - 1.0 min

1.0 pkg White Labs #WLP001

50.00 g Simcoe - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
    40.00 g Nelson Sauvin - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
    30.00 g Galaxy - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
    20.00 g Ahtanum- Dry Hop 7.0 Days

I'm hoping for 19L of finished IPA, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I can't offer you anything other than well wishes. If you find the time I'd love to see some pictures and a description of how you get on. I plan to kick it up a notch to BIAB myself in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Elbow wrote: »
    First post in this neck of the woods to coincide with my first all grain brew :o

I've decided to have a go at a batch of BIAB and would really appreciate it if a few regulars on here would take a look at my brew plan and advise if there's anything wrong with what i'm planning or how improvements could be made.

30L Water
    5.00 kg Maris Otter
    0.50 kg Crystal Malt

60 minute mash @ 65°
    5 minute mashout @ 76°

90 minute boil

10.00 g Chinook - 60.0 min
    10.00 g Simcoe - 30.0 min
    15.00 g Ahtanum - 15.0 min
    15.00 g Galaxy - 15.0 min
    30.00 g Cascade - 10.0 min
    20.00 g Citra -5.0 min
    15.00 g Nelson Sauvin - 5.0 min
    20.00 g Ahtanum - 1.0 min
    15.00 g Simcoe- 1.0 min
    10.00 g Nelson Sauvin - 1.0 min

1.0 pkg White Labs #WLP001

50.00 g Simcoe - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
    40.00 g Nelson Sauvin - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
    30.00 g Galaxy - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
    20.00 g Ahtanum- Dry Hop 7.0 Days

You are using a lot of different hop additions, I would cut down on the number of different types of hop and addition times to simplify it a bit.
    I don't see the point in using that many varieties, I doubt you'll be able to pick out all the varieties so keep it simple for this run and make changes in future batches if you wish.

I'd also keep the dry hopping to a single variety.

I can't comment on that yeast as I haven't tried it. I do use a few yeasts but for my standard brews I use safale us05, it gives a good flavour profile and clears well.

I also like to add 100g of crushed wheat for head retention.

Good luck, you won't go back to extract after this.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Looks like a LOT of dry hopping - I'll check later at home but I'm pretty sure I used far less and still got a good hoppy beer.

As previously pointed out, I'd cut back on the hop additions to keep it simple - I use 3 additions at 60,10,0 and add whirlfloc at 10 too.

I've used Safale 05 yeast with great success for ales, but I'm no expert so don't let that put you off the other yeast !

Re the process itself, make sure to thoroughly stir the grains when adding to the mash. you don't want clumps forming, give it a good thorough stir.

Enjoy !
    F.

Right, I dry hopped with 30g Amarillo hops (flowers, not pellets) for 1 week in a smaller 8L batch.
    What you've got below will probably be VERY hoppy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

This a clone your doing? I'm still doing extract myself but it looks like the two punk ipa recipes (6% vs 5.6%) with some galaxy, mixed together, and then some more hops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

What size is your brew kettle? 30L of water will get you a 19L batch or thereabouts.

What OG are you shooting for? I dont think you have enough malt to hit a gravity sufficient to balance that hop load. I also think you have gone way overboard with the hops, there is something like 15 - 20 quid worth of hops in that single batch?

With a hop load like that, how are you chilling? I use no-chill, and late hop additions have to be adjusted, otherwise all your late hops will isomerise and turn it into an undrinkable IBU bomb.

Do you have your own mill? I would double crush the grains, that really helps with extract efficiency in BIAB, and I think your recipe will need as high a starting gravity as you can get.

Also with the amount of hopping (and dry hopping) you are going to lose a lot of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

sharingan wrote: »
    Also with the amount of hopping (and dry hopping) you are going to lose a lot of beer.

Tell me more.....

Khannie wrote: »
    Tell me more.....

The hops will soak up some beer, so you'll lose volume that way.

F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Hingo wrote: »
    This a clone your doing? I'm still doing extract myself but it looks like the two punk ipa recipes (6% vs 5.6%) with some galaxy, mixed together, and then some more hops.

On the ball, Punk IPA is one of my favorite beers so I taught it a good idea to start with that as a base, add the galaxy to up the IBU a bit and then give an extra citrus hit with the citra
    sharingan wrote: »
    What size is your brew kettle? 30L of water will get you a 19L batch or thereabouts.

What OG are you shooting for? I dont think you have enough malt to hit a gravity sufficient to balance that hop load. I also think you have gone way overboard with the hops, there is something like 15 - 20 quid worth of hops in that single batch?

With a hop load like that, how are you chilling? I use no-chill, and late hop additions have to be adjusted, otherwise all your late hops will isomerise and turn it into an undrinkable IBU bomb.

Do you have your own mill? I would double crush the grains, that really helps with extract efficiency in BIAB, and I think your recipe will need as high a starting gravity as you can get.

Using a 50L pot, I punched the recipe into beersmith (@ 70% efficiency) and i'm coming up with

OG: 1.064
    IBU's 62.3
    Est ABV 6.9%

My plan for chilling involves filling the bath with cold water and as many 2L bottles of ice as I can fit in the freezer :o

I have a grain mill for the kenwood chef so i can give the grain a good crushing

On the ball, Punk IPA is one of my favorite beers so I taught it a good idea to start with that as a base, add the galaxy to up the IBU a bit and then give an extra citrus hit with the citra

Using a 50L pot, I punched the recipe into beersmith (@ 70% efficiency) and i'm coming up with

OG: 1.064
    IBU's 62.3
    Est ABV 6.9%

My plan for chilling involves filling the bath with cold water and as many 2L bottles of ice as I can fit in the freezer :o

I have a grain mill for the kenwood chef so i can give the grain a good crushing

Nice! - I done an extract version there in Feb, like yourself slightly modified it , added some honey & used some Amarillo instead of N.Sauvin (sold out everywhere) - was lovely!

I haven't done AG yet myself but if BeerSmith has given you that, I'm sure you'll get a decent brew one way or another, I have heard though for BIAB you should crush your grain a bit finer than your would if using a mash tun. The mesh in your bag is better for retaining grain bits (where the mash tun's manifold would let these through into your wort) - Should get a better conversion and hit those figures. Corona mill would be ideal if you can get your hands on one! Keep us posted on how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Been a bit busy all week so apologies about not updating earlier,

I've decided to take some of the above advice on board and i'm going to start off my all grain journey with a clone, there'll be plenty of time to experiment when I've a bit more experience :)

The plan is now to brew on the 26th to tie in with bottling my batch of cider (all going well anyway!), in the meantime i'm going to get my bag made & install a tap in my stockpot

Good luck. For what it's worth I dived right into AG without ever going near kits or extract. Can't say if it helped or hindered me, but I enjoy quaffing it so I guess it's a success so far !

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Just about ready to bottle my 2nd batch of all grain BIAB . I'm a total beginner to home brewing mabe the 1st back too strong I was trying to make a red ale but ended up with an imperial red IPA which is under primed put I guess it will take time to get good results.

finatron wrote: »
    Just about ready to bottle my 2nd batch of all grain BIAB . I'm a total beginner to home brewing mabe the 1st back too strong I was trying to make a red ale but ended up with an imperial red IPA which is under primed put I guess it will take time to get good results.
    Hmm - Interesting! Is it very hoppy, heavy aromas? get a pic up in the glass, I'm intrigued!

Hmm - Interesting! Is it very hoppy, heavy aromas? get a pic up in the glass, I'm intrigued!

It's been bottled 3 weeks now there was a metallic taste lingering the 1st time I tasted after 1 week, 2nd tasting a week later that metallic tinge had mellowed and could get a better taste of the hops and orange peel I put in along with the dry hopping.
    After some research I think the metallic tasts was from dry hopping too long. I will open another bottle tomorrow and see how it is after 3 weeks.

finatron wrote: »
    It's been bottled 3 weeks now there was a metallic taste lingering the 1st time I tasted after 1 week, 2nd tasting a week later that metallic tinge had mellowed and could get a better taste of the hops and orange peel I put in along with the dry hopping.
    After some research I think the metallic tasts was from dry hopping too long. I will open another bottle tomorrow and see how it is after 3 weeks.
    Looking at the book it could have been the malt, that or if you brewed/boiled with a dodgy pot. When you dry hopped did you use muslin bag with a weight attached?

Looking at the book it could have been the malt, that or if you brewed/boiled with a dodgy pot. When you dry hopped did you use muslin bag with a weight attached?

Didn't use a weight for dry hopping.
    Had another bottle tonight shared with a few mates and it's totally mellowed out gave a bottel to a fellow beer geek from work who text me to telling me even he's wife enjoyed it so I'm well happy for my first brew.
    The dry hopping and a hint of orange peel is really nice if I had not under done the carbonation it would have been a good first try.

Advertisement