Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photojournalism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I would personally start a personal blog or Tumblr and start covering things in your own time. Spend some time learning what good looks like and build it from there. I started photography when I was 13, then during secondary school started shooting for a friend's website (just having fun and that), then moved up to shooting a motorsport series during college before working as a photojournalist for five years until quite recently. I'm now working on re-building my career as an editorial and commercial photographer. Don't be afraid to roll with changes as you'll often end up somewhere you never expected.

Surround yourself with inspiration and let your passion take care of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 S_P_Photo

Thank you Paddy for the advice, do you know how to find out when events are on i.e protests etc... or listening to the news the best way????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Get active on social media for that, join groups, like pages, follow twitters. That's how less connected groups are getting word out about things - protests included.

Keep an eye on local stories as well and you might get some shots into your local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Like landsleaving said, do your research and get involved. That's where the passion to find the next story comes in.

Also, never give away your work for free, despite how tempting it might feel in exchange for exposure. If you have something they want, make them pay. Nobody values free work.

Advertisement