Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminding/Creche costs

Options
  • 04-04-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help me. I would like to know the cost of a childminder who would come to my house 5 days a week 7.30 till 6 pm, I could drop my kid to there house if this makes it cheaper.
    I have a 5mt old (will not need childminder until she is 9mts). I honestly have no idea how much this would cost so would really appreciate if anyone could help me out. I live in Castelknock.

Would any know what the cost would be for a Creche for same times and days. I am trying to see what the difference in the cost would be as I have been told I need to look to book her into a Creche now so we get a place if we go that way.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good childminder (or how u go about finding one), or a good Creche in the Castleknock area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Creche prices vary from place to place. anything from €888 to €1,150!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Start with childcare.ie and childminder.ie

With those working hours, an au pair might work for you either. (however, depends on how you feel about au pairs and having someone live with you) Cost of an au pair is about €120-€150 per week plus bed and board.

There are also live out au pairs - google Au Pairs Ireland and you'll get more information.

A childminder will cost you about €10 per hour - but I think you'd be lucky to get someone for those hours. 7.30am is a very early start. Just an opinion though.

A crèche will cost you about €950-€1100 per month. Many creches don't open until 7.45am though. The dis-advantage of creches is that you have to pay for when the child is not there (holidays etc) - However, at least a crèche can't call in sick!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a huge difference in price as to whether the childminder goes to your house or your child goes to theirs.
    If they come to your house then they are an employee in your home and min wage and prsi applies.
    If you send your child to their house then you would expect that they would pay the relevant insurance (childminding and car)and they pay a flat rate of prsi themselves and can earn 15k tax free.
    It means it is usually a lot cheaper to send the kids out,in you home I would expect it to cost 10-12 euro an hour and in the childminders depending on the hours usually 4-5 euro an hour but it is less outside of major areas and more inside of them.
    In Dublin creches cost 850-1200 for a month.
    There are also community creches which are not for profit creches which can be a bit cheaper and are a lot cheaper for anyone with any social welfare payment.

www.childminding.ie is a good resource.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Au pairs are never meant to work 10 1/2 hour days x 5 days a week and especially not for 120-150 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Au pairs are never meant to work 10 1/2 hour days x 5 days a week and especially not for 120-150 euro.

Absolutely right - however, it might be useful as a combination with another childcare provider. I should have clarified in my post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement