Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Traffic Controller Career

Options
  • 04-04-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I am doing air traffic control work experience next year in TY, and I was wondering how difficult it is to get into the course (if I like it) at age 19 after my leaving certificate is complete. what will help show the interviewer that I am better that the others
    ( as I know its a very hard job to get into) , do good points help , does your IQ help , does your love for the jobs help . Please reply , thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I am doing air traffic control work experience next year in TY, and I was wondering how difficult it is to get into the course (if I like it) at age 19 after my leaving certificate is complete. what will help show the interviewer that I am better that the others
    ( as I know its a very hard job to get into) , do good points help , does your IQ help , does your love for the jobs help . Please reply , thanks !

If you search this forum you'll find a few threads about recent intakes into the course.

The IAA don't offer a course every year- only every 2/3 years depending on what their needs will be.

The selection process is quite rigorous, see here for full info about the various steps... https://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=404&n=568&a=0

A big drawback in the latest intake is that there is no training stipend/allowance/wage, so effectively you have to fund yourself while in training before you actually start work proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geneva geneva4444

Matthew,

Have you managed to sort out a place for the work experience already?
    My advice is to relax for the moment. There are minimum leaving cert requirements (C in Higher Level Maths I think, can't remember the rest but they are all on the IAA site). Any extra points after that won't hurt but in reality that's not what the interviewers are looking for. You will have to pass a written exam (fast maths and other stuff similar), and then a more specific ATC related exam called a FEAST test before any interviews. But the interviews have a mixture of maths and spacial awareness questions, your qualifications and work experience etc and and a general chat about your personality and qualities that make you suitable for the job.
    All your questions and more will be answered when you do your work experience, especially if you go to Dublin or Shannon where you'll find controllers who have been through the recent IAA SCP recruitment process. Everyone will be more than willing to give you tips and it will look good that you are so keen to get into ATC.
    However, the IAA's recruitment needs can vary year by year. Some years, they may need 30+ new students to replace retiring staff, other years there may be no recruitment at all. So if you finish school and they are not hiring straight away, the timing may not be ideal for you.
    Also, don't necessarily disregard going to college. While it's clear you're looking to get straight into ATC, college is a great stepping stone to move from being a young adult to being more independent and responsible. Plus, a college degree is always something to have in the bank no matter where you end up in life.

Hope this helps some bit. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Geneva

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stan333

I'm in TY currently and I need to choose my subjects for Leaving Cert. I want to be an air traffic controller when I grow up so which subjects would I choose that would help me become an air traffic controller and would benefit me for this job? I like 5 subjects which include: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business or Geography. However I need to choose 3 subjects so which subjects would suit this job? I need an answer ASAP please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

stan333 wrote: »

To become and ATC you basically need to pass aptitude tests, not everyone has these aptitudes for controlling planes. This is why they are paid quite handsomely.:D

Subjects such as maths,physics and applied maths would help you're mind develop as they are mathematical and will help your analytical and logical skills. But you are mainly born with this aptitude. Are you good under pressure , excellent concentration and have exceptional memory? If so this job may be for you!

All I'll say is have a safety net in case you don't get through the aptitude tests. There are more than 1000 applicants for each position. So don't place all your eggs in one basket.

I'm not an ATC as i decided against it(doing engineering instead) , this advice is just what I researched so take it with a pinch of salt.

Good Luck with your life :) all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Details are at https://www.iaa.ie/careers/student-controller-programme

You need to pass 5 LC subjects including Maths (Higher or Ordinary) and have a C or higher in two Higher subjects.

As above, selection is mostly based on aptitude tests, so I’d also recommend choosing subjects to suit another option you might be interested in, in case the selection process doesn’t work out, or they aren’t recruiting for a while after you complete LC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

if you don't mind travelling, NATS and Eurocontrol are currently recruiting, and do more regularly than the IAA (NATS you don't have to pay towards training either)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

A possible approach to getting an air traffic career is apply to the Air Corp and train with them and then when your service is up go into a civilian air traffic job.

Hard work, passion and determination take you a long way in life but the reality is that certain careers require a very high ability in certain areas. A very strong mathematical mind is required to get through the aptitude tests used for selecting air traffic controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

logie101 wrote: »
    A possible approach to getting an air traffic career is apply to the Air Corp and train with them and then when your service is up go into a civilian air traffic job.
    Only will work if the Aer Corp licence you get is a civil licence.

Otherwise you will have to redo most of the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

arccosh wrote: »
    if you don't mind travelling, NATS and Eurocontrol are currently recruiting, and do more regularly than the IAA (NATS you don't have to pay towards training either)

If you qualify with NATS, at some point could you apply for a job in Ireland?
    Or to work in Ireland must you be trained by the IAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

ATC training is an international standard, so yes, skills are transferable country to country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

arccosh wrote: »
    ATC training is an international standard, so yes, skills are transferable country to country

Presuming the UK is still an EASA member state after Brexit, then your licence would be valid in Ireland. If not, then it may require training to convert from ICAO to EASA

Advertisement