Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New plant emerging - is it Japanese knotweed

• 04-04-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭

OK, I may panicking here but last year I planted a few shade loving plants on the dark side of the house....mainly a few ferns and grasses and a few other bits and pieces. One of the plants that died off is now sprouting again. There are reddish/green bamboo like canes now appearing and just by chance I was reading about Japanese knotwood a couple of days. Whatever I have appearing looks uncannily like the knotwood and if so, that is not (excuse the pun) good. I bought the plant in a good quality garden centre. Can anyone identify this plant before I go and dig it up???

Photo0577_zps2e0e0897.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

They look like Hosta shoots to me, its highly unlikely you were sold japanese knotweed in a garden center :eek: Your worry now is how to keep the slugs from feasting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Not sure what it is but it's not knotweed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

Thank you both :) I don't think it is a hosta. Maybe a follow up photo in a couple of weeks will give a few more clues. Very relieved now though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

+1
    Knot not weed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Definitely a hosta, I grow loads of them, when you post a pic in a few weeks I may be able to id which one it is, the dried cut off stems are last years flower scapes.

• Advertisement

Definitely a hosta, I grow loads of them, when you post a pic in a few weeks I may be able to id which one it is, the dried cut off stems are last years flower scapes.

On second thoughts, you are probably right Mountainy Man. It does not look like how I expected it to look, based on an older hosta I have in a different part of the garden which never really died off during the winter and whose shoots look way way different....different species, I'm sure.
    I'll be sure to post a pic in a few weeks so. it's obviously happy where it is as I counted no less than 12 shoots coming out of the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I has an envy, that looks like a very happy hosta. Now you need to stand over it with a shotgun to blast the slugs!

I think I will have to build a moat of slug pellets around it!

Just to add, I did a recount of the amount of shoots today and I can now see 21. That may increase further. Is that a normal amount? I only planted it last summer. Soil PH is between 6 and 6.5 so probably perfect.

highdef wrote: »
    Just to add, I did a recount of the amount of shoots today and I can now see 21. That may increase further. Is that a normal amount? I only planted it last summer. Soil PH is between 6 and 6.5 so probably perfect.

Thats perfectly normal for a happy Japanese Knotweed, right plant right place, don't worry it should colonize your garden in about 3 seasons all going well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's very bad minded of you Lurker :D

Just havin a bit of craic :p

Advertisement