Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millipede Invasion - how to get rid of

• 04-04-2014 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Can somebody help?

We have a very unpleasant problem. Recent nights, the exterior walls of the house have been covered by a kind of black caterpillar-like creatures which we believe are millipedes. We haven't spotted where they're coming from but every night they seem to be crawling up the walls. Occasionally we have found some inside on the floor of the toilet area.

This is very unsettling as the thought of them outside in such numbers, and worse, inside is not at all nice. It's also not very nice for visitors to see. We need to do something and quick.

It seems the creatures are harmless. Ordinarily we're a live-and-let-live family when it comes to regular bugs and insects but this isn't just a minor problem any more.

Any rubbish is cleared away and there's no decaying wood around.

Does anyone know of an effective insecticide that would turn them away, or get rid of them?

We really do need help on this one before the house is over run and would appreciate any and all advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sounds nasty! I have minimal experience of these things but are you sure they are millipedes? Any chance of a photo? They could be centipedes or even earwigs, though I would have thought it was a bit early in the year for earwigs. Have a look at this http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/centipedemillipede012.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Has there been a lot of earth movement in the area recently (I.e. Construction work) or an area of scrub/abandoned land near the house?

Ant powder seems to work. Circle the house with ant powder and see the next morning where the biggest pile of millipedes is.....this will tell you roughly where the nest is and search in that direction for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

The picture here seems to be the little critters. http://www.orkin.com/other/millipedes/ Not pretty.
    Spent time at the weekend doing some extra tidying outside.

There hasn't been any construction near the house but the side of the house doesn't get much sun and is probably damp from all the rain over the winter / spring.

Have sprinked lots of ant powder in recent times and while there's lots of dead millipedes afterwards, it isn't possible to confirm where they are going / staying during the daytime.

Any other help or advice or personal experiences on this is very welcome indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Nippon powder clears them for a bit , but they do keep coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hopskipandjump

I had the same problem when I moved in to my house years ago. They would crawl up the walls as soon as it got dark...it makes my skin crawl thinking of them now! I eventually got rid of them by putting Ant powder all around the house. I probably put it down every odd night for a few weeks. I don't think I had to put it down two years in a row, I'm sure the problem was fixed there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I have the same problem too! But I have a dog, so I'm not sure ant powder is the best solution. Does anyone else have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Like with slugs, persistent removal will help. Not nice but try a scissors or brush them off and gather them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

redser7 wrote: »
    Like with slugs, persistent removal will help. Not nice but try a scissors or brush them off and gather them up.

Scissors??? What do you do with these?

Snip :) Poor buggers but better than salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can you use salt to remove them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I have these all over the side of my house too. It's a wall that's lit with a night light all night, and I also feed the cats in that area. Thought the food might be attracting them. I also have lots of newts living in the same area so it's a real wildlife sanctuary at nighttime!
    They're not bothering me yet as they haven't got in to the house.
    As a country living former townie I'm amazed at all the little (and big!) creatures that come and go over the year. Have 2 pheasants hanging out in the garden at the moment too!

Can you use salt to remove them?

The salt is for slugs

Advertisement