Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 2 year old has finally started being a 2 year old

Options
  • 04-04-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

She was a perfect baby, and from 2-2 1/2 she was a perfect toddler. But in the last few weeks the tantrums have started. Right in time for my college exam. I'm sure everyone with a child knows what I'm talking about so I'll make these a quick couple of questions.

When you are trying to get your child to do something (like out their toys away before they go to bed) and they scream at you, cry, lie on the floor do you just continue to calmly explain and show them what you want them to do, asking them to calm down, will they EVENTUALLY pay attention/do what you ask of them or this there some other magical strategy?

MY daughter in 3 in September and still appears like she wants a nap in the middle of the day (rubs eyes) however latley when I put her to bed 7:30-8 at about 10 she will wake up and sound like a monkey swinging from the trees. So for the last few days I have not given her a nap during the day and when I have out her to bed she is very grumpy, dramatic, almost on the verge of a tantrum but then I put her into bed she curls up says night night blows me a kiss and sleeps the night. SO is this a good idea? I don't want to deprive her of a nap if she NEEDS it but she is tired when she goes to bed now without it so that is good isn't it?

Comments

PLL wrote: »

When you are trying to get your child to do something (like out their toys away before they go to bed) and they scream at you, cry, lie on the floor do you just continue to calmly explain and show them what you want them to do, asking them to calm down, will they EVENTUALLY pay attention/do what you ask of them or this there some other magical strategy?

First off, I learned to choose my battles with a two and a half year old.
    In this instance, to avoid a complete meltdown, I would either start tidying away myself and ask if she'd like to help, or tidy up after she's gone to bed.
    Certain things such as getting dressed, teeth brushed, into the car seat are non negotiable. However if I was to insist upon tidying up I would have probably invited a ****storm. Is it worth it?

Two and a half is a notorious age for tantrums even if you thought you'd seen them before.

Advertisement