Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Accommodation

Options
  • 04-04-2014 10:16pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, need accommodation for10-15 gents for a stag in Westport.

One of the hostels said they cant take us, would like to rent a house.

Any recommendations?

June 27th for 2 nights,but presuming i'd need to rent for the week

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi folks, need accommodation for10-15 gents for a stag in Westport.

One of the hostels said they cant take us, would like to rent a house.

Any recommendations?

June 27th for 2 nights,but presuming i'd need to rent for the week

Hey the Harbour Mill apartments always get a good review from people on here.
    http://www.theharbourmill.com/pages/special_offers.html

Outside of that maybe myhome.ie or daft.ie.

Donedeal;
    http://www.donedeal.ie/find/holidayrent/for-sale/Mayo/

If you find somewhere in Westport fire it up here and we can tell you how close it is if they haven't stated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Atlantic Holidays Distillery road Westport

( Pat Ayleward and Rob Kilkelly ) act for a lot of the self catering accommodation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

O'Maras guesthouse at the Octagon in westport, any reviews/thoughts on this place?

O'Maras guesthouse at the Octagon in westport, any reviews/thoughts on this place?

Don't know it altho I live in Westport.

May be new.

Suggest you contact Westport Tourism Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

O Mara's used to be Geraghty's. I saw the pub had reopened at the weekend. If you google the reviews for Geraghty's it might give you some idea of what it was like when the previous owners had it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers guys, will probably be down with the out-laws this weekend so might take a spin over and check it out

Hey folks, any recommendations for good pubs on a friday in westport?

Age range is 30 -35 (10 people) 50+ (4 people)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hey folks, any recommendations for good pubs on a friday in westport?

Age range is 30 -35 (10 people) 50+ (4 people)

Guinness and music - Matt Molloys - full of tourists.
    Brewhouse nice spot, can get busy.
    Henenaghans, good crowd, mixed ages, good music, tvs and late bar.
    Jester for matches is good.
    MCGings, over 30's.

last question!

The astro pitch in westport, is it on horkans hill?

last question!

The astro pitch in westport, is it on horkans hill?

I think its more Newport road, just maybe another 1/2 KM out the the same road at the GAA pitch.
    http://www.westportgaa.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

couple headin to westport next weekend. Never been before. going by train. staying at westport coast hotel. A couple of questions. Is the hotel far from train station? Is hotel far from the main town? not hiring car. will use taxis if nessecary. Are they expensive?

joedared wrote: »
    couple headin to westport next weekend. Never been before. going by train. staying at westport coast hotel. A couple of questions. Is the hotel far from train station? Is hotel far from the main town? not hiring car. will use taxis if nessecary. Are they expensive?

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Iarnr%C3%B3d+%C3%89ireann/53.7997853,-9.5495588/@53.7972618,-9.540105,16z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xd435d5aab9088ad1!2m2!1d-9.516!2d53.7976!1m0!3e0

Have a look at that, will give you a good idea.

Your hotel is about a mile and a half from the railway station. Taxis are usually at the station at train arrival times. Think taxi about €6.

There are some good pubs at Westport Quay, also some good restaurants.
    Quay is a good base for walks e.g into Westport House grounds. WH itself worth visiting.

Helm Bar was home of John MacBride, executed for part in 1916 and in Boer War. His widow Maude Gonne used to bring her son Seán over from Paris each summer to meet his grandmother at the Quay.

The high old mill west of the Quay was owned by the Pollexfen family, Ballisodare. W.B Yeat's mother was a Pollexfen. There was a private house within the mill grounds. It is possible that Yeats visited there to meet Maude Gonne while she was in Westport.

There is a heritage centre near that mill which is worth visiting.

Westport Town itself is nearly a mile from your hotel. Can walk into it

(1) along Quay Hill. Good views on way back

(2) through Westport House grounds. Check at WH or at Farmyard complex that Town (Church Lane ) gate is open.

(3) Along old Wpt Town -Wpt Quay old railway line, now a greenway,

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

very detailed. thank you very much. Its a gift. 3 nights B&B with 3 evening meals. I would like to try some resturants in Westport. I have heard great reports about them. But you cant look a gift horse in the mouth

Don't mention.

Apart from restaurants at the Quay there is a restaurant at the WH Farmyard. Also a great selection of restuarants in Westport town. Taxis available back from town on Bridge St - just down from Town Clock

btw a boat owned by King family do a daily cruise on Clew Bay. I forget the name but the hotel would have this. Goes out to Dorinish - John Lennon's former island.

In Westport town a there is a double decker sight seeing bus, based near bus-stop on Mill Street

Have a good weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You want 15 stags to stay with you? Well fair play to ya.

afatbollix wrote: »
    You want 15 stags to stay with you? Well fair play to ya.

that was earlier in the thread. I was replying to a query from a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It wasn't about you. Someone posted saying they had a room in a house share. I have no idea why they posted in the thread but have now deleted their post.

Advertisement