Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway. Fill me in!

Options
  • 04-04-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I'm moving to Galway in a couple of months with my husband and daughter. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me where I could rent in accommodation suitable for a family for a decent price that's close enough to the city to cycle or drive and to still feel the buzz. Details of auctioneers welcome.

I would also be delighted to find out about the local scene for new bands, the art scene, craft/knitting circles and markets, vintage shops, fairs, festivals and anything else of interest.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

AD 80 wrote: »
    I'm moving to Galway in a couple of months with my husband and daughter. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me where I could rent in accommodation suitable for a family for a decent price that's close enough to the city to cycle or drive and to still feel the buzz. Details of auctioneers welcome.

I would also be delighted to find out about the local scene for new bands, the art scene, craft/knitting circles and markets, vintage shops, fairs, festivals and anything else of interest.

Thanks

What's your budget?
    How far from the center of the city do you want to be?
    Will public transport links be a requirement or will you have a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

How old is your daughter?
    Will she be attending school?
    If either or both of you have jobs, which part of the city will you be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 AD 80

The location is not relevant to our jobs. We have one car but I would ideally like to be able to cycle, walk or take public transport as an option. I know it's a long shot but my budget is around E500pm. This is what we pay at the moment in Waterford city and seems to be the average for Galway county. I just haven't seen anything for Galway City to compare.
    My daughter is 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Older threads you can have a look at, just note that some may be old.
    They will still give you a lot of info on traffic, schools, houses etc.
    www.google.ie/search?q=moving+to+galway+site:boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

E500 pcm for a house in Galway City for a family inc a 3 year old kid? You're having a laugh, aren't you.

Maybe you don't quite need to double it if you're prepared to settle for an estate in the suburbs ... but close.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the enlightening info (also obvious to me on daft). And no, im not having a laugh, i'm talking about real details of my life. Luckily i've discovered a few houses in my budget within a 10 mile radius so happy days!
    Now i'd love to hear all the great things i have to look forward to. The very reasons why im moving across the country on a leap of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Did you seriously find somewhere for €500 pcm. I reckon you would have to go out to Athenry for that and that is about 20KM by bicycle. Where are you looking at?

You looking for cheaper rent??

No. I "nearly" own my house but would not like to see anybody travel so far to live in the wrong spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

You won't even get a bad flat for €500 in the city. Rents in Galway are often dearer than Cork or Limerick never mind Waterford.

• Advertisement

So it seems about the "500 for a bad flat". I admit i was shocked by the prices.

One is in moycullen. Does that sound far? The other has yet to be put on the market so i dont know the details yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So it seems about the "500 for a bad flat". I admit i was shocked by the prices.

One is in moycullen. Does that sound far? The other has yet to be put on the market so i dont know the details yet.

you won't cycle from there to Galway city on a daily basis.

You would cycle from Moycullen but there are two bad stretches where the road narrows and its really busy with cars. There would be no buzz in Moycullen. The houses are well spread out. The reality is Galway is doing well with employment and students so there is huge demand for property. Prices might come down when students finish in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thanks
    Can't help re accommodation but there's a craft market once a month at the Roisin Dubh https://www.facebook.com/TheRoisinDubhArtCraftIndoorMarket and crochet and knitting classes at Knitwits and Crafty Stitchers http://craftystitchers.com/ towards the front of the Liosban Business Park, near the AIB entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Be prepared to be sitting in long queues of traffic from Moycullen every morning which is often backed up well out of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

sgthighway wrote: »
    Did you seriously find somewhere for €500 pcm. I reckon you would have to go out to Athenry for that and that is about 20KM by bicycle. Where are you looking at?

I think the rent is pretty cheap In ballybane at the moment. Most of the decent neighbourhoods in galway you would not get a one bed appartment for €500pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Thanks

For vintage shops the Gaiety Antique store, public romance clothing, there's a vintage store near the citzens info office on Augustine street and another beside claddagh cabs, William st. Market is on every weekend by the Galway Market runs every Sat/Sun outside St. Nicholas church
    http://galwaymarket.com
    There are plenty knitting classes on don't know about groups but a good place ro ask would be Hickeys Fabrics upstairs in the Eyre Sq centre.

Hope that's of some help to get you started =)

Thanks for all the info. Picking the right house is definitely going to be the hard part, especially with a small budget. Im definitely going to have to compromise on some of my ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

Thanks for all the info. Picking the right house is definitely going to be the hard part, especially with a small budget. Im definitely going to have to compromise on some of my ideas.

Best of luck with the house hunting =]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

arf91 wrote: »
    For vintage shops the Gaiety Antique store, public romance clothing, there's a vintage store near the citzens info office on Augustine street and another beside claddagh cabs, William st. Market is on every weekend by the Galway Market runs every Sat/Sun outside St. Nicholas church
    http://galwaymarket.com
    There are plenty knitting classes on don't know about groups but a good place ro ask would be Hickeys Fabrics upstairs in the Eyre Sq centre.

Hope that's of some help to get you started =)

No there isnt.

• Advertisement

No there isnt.

*antique

*antique

ehh,no there ain't one of them either.you've the wrong street im guessing.

I'm 100% positive on this, opposite the office supply place+flower shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I'm moving to Galway with my partner and daughter (who will also be 3) I have lived in Galway before, although it was a student and only for a few months. We are looking for a house close to the city and rents are at an average of €850, if we get one for €800 we will be delighted. Fair play if you find one for €500 I've been living on daft for months and can't find a deal anywhere close to that, but we are particular and do want to be close to the city.

I'm 100% positive on this, opposite the office supply place+flower shop!

that would be 'an gealarai beag' on flood street.

that would be 'an gealarai beag' on flood street.

Its approximately 10 seconds walk away from the citizens information office.. and it sells antiques?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

AD80, Moycullen is a great spot, and would be perfect for a small child.

If the accommodation is in the town you are close to a SuperValu, creche, school, good playground, Loughwell pet farm. Lot's of families out here. It's on the outskirts of the gaeltacht so expect a bit of Irish spoken amongst the kids.

It's a great community with a good buzz. The Friday farmers market is top notch.

You can't cycle to Galway from here, it's just far too dangerous. Once you learn the rat runs you'll fly in and out of Galway.

A lot of people in the City think Moycullen is too far out, but it's a very short journey.

Its approximately 10 seconds walk away from the citizens information office.. and it sells antiques?

Closer to 20 id say, No 4 Flood St for those interested in all things antique and art related.
    http://www.thelatinquarter.ie/?cpt_artists=an-gailearai-beag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That's a bit pedantic.;)
    It's Flood St, but is pretty much right where they said.

*edit* you all sorted it out! :pac:

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    That's a bit pedantic.;)
    It's Flood St, but is pretty much right where they said.

*edit* you all sorted it out! :pac:

i see why you'd think twas pedantic but i honestly hadn't a clue where they were on about until i realised twas flood st,so in the end i think twas right to be clear.

Advertisement