Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham v Liverpool. Sunday Apr 6th KO@16:00 SS1.

1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

SantryRed wrote: »
    That is not a penalty :pac:

Actually think about what you just said there. Jesus Christ.

vczs.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He already had the ball and was running at the keeper, then the keeper touches the ball and then the player.
    That is the sequence of events.

look at it again,

Flannno kicks ball, Keeper tips ball, keeper collides with players legs, keeper kinda grabs players legs... easy watching it on a replay in 1/4 speed but very hard for the ref.. very hard.. he prob guessed in real time. But he guesses right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

To those complaining about our football: what on Earth do you expect us to do? Since the turn of the year, you have scored 44 goals in 13 Premier League games (an average of more than 3 a game). Do you really expect us to play tiki taka type football, push our full backs up the field and go all out attack against an forward line like that? You are completely deluded if you think so. Believe me, if ye played like that against City next week and got a win you would not be complaining. We played to our strengths and nearly managed to grind out a result.

And personally, I'm a fan of Allardyce. Yes his football isn't pretty, but for the second season in a row he has us sitting comfortably in mid table with just a handful of games remaining. And that is exactly what the two Daves want at least until we move to the Olympic Stadium.

and then why are your own fans booing your team even if you get a win?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

It's kind of impossible for the ref to see the keeper touch the ball. Still the correct decision though, the ball stayed in play and didn't even change direction, Flanagan is getting to it if he doesn't get cleaned out by the keeper, might not have scored but that's besides the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its simple.

Flanno touched it first.

Then Adrian.

The ball got loose and Flanno would have gotten the ball a second time but he was tripped.

Answer = Penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

No way Flanno would even get in to the West Ham team he is brutal but seems to be playing well last few games in fairness to him. I taught second penalty was harsh on us but was a very hard call for the referee and fair play to Gerrard he some big man for the big moments. Taught we set up well and was surprised Liverpool found us hard to break down in the first half I hope Liverpool go on to win the league personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

No way Flanno would even get in to the West Ham team he is brutal but seems to be playing well last few games in fairness to him. I taught second penalty was harsh on us but was a very hard call for the referee and fair play to Gerrard he some big man for the big moments. Taught we set up well and was surprised Liverpool found us hard to break down in the first half I hope Liverpool go on to win the league personally.

6zb.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

mada999 wrote: »
    and then why are your own fans booing your team even if you get a win?! :confused:
    I said I was a fan of him. I was unaware you felt I spoke for every West Ham fan out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Neeson wrote: »
    Hartson always calls them pelanties too. Pelanty sounds better I think.

As does Chris Waddle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't care if it was a penalty or not. West Ham were solid but by the rules, you can't mash the keeper in the face, then drag his arm while he's holding the ball, so 1-1 would have been bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mada999 wrote: »
    look at it again,

Flannno kicks ball, Keeper tips ball, keeper collides with players legs, keeper kinda grabs players legs... easy watching it on a replay in 1/4 speed but very hard for the ref.. very hard.. he prob guessed in real time. But he guesses right

He doesn't guess right at all! Do you actually play football?

As a keeper, it's still coming out to make a save. Even if it's a player, making a tackle with his foot, it's still a fair tackle.

Your point is actually stupid. If a player is running past a defender, he touches the ball, THEN the defender touches the ball, whilst bringing down the player in the process, AFTER the touch on the ball, it is considered a fair tackle. It's never a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

No way Flanno would even get in to the West Ham team he is brutal but seems to be playing well last few games in fairness to him.
    Ah-Heyor-672x480.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As a keeper, it's still coming out to make a save. Even if it's a player, making a tackle with his foot, it's still a fair tackle.

Your point is actually stupid. If a player is running past a defender, he touches the ball, THEN the defender touches the ball, whilst bringing down the player in the process, AFTER the touch on the ball, it is considered a fair tackle. It's never a penalty.

But in a 50/50 from a pass if there is a foul, the player who touches the ball 2nd usually gives away the freekick.

The pen situation was 50/50

• But in a 50/50 from a pass if there is a foul, the player who touches the ball 2nd usually gives away the freekick.

The pen situation was 50/50

:rolleyes:

oh god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hey I've been thinking and on reflection I'm not sure the whole of the ball crossed the line in the 2005 CL semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

:rolleyes:

oh god

So think of it outside the box, ball is played forward attacker gets a nick on the ball, defender then knocks the ball off attackers shins, meaning the ball is still going forward leaving the attacker with a chance to get past.

Defender then pulls down attacker

Are you saying thats not a free

As that is what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just in my opinion:

You are right, the fact Flanno touches it first does not make a blind bit of difference.

But I am really not sure the keeper got enough of the ball, he didn't put the ball out of danger, or even put it out of the control zone of the attacker. He also didn't just catch him with the initial effort to get the ball, he pretty much grabbed him with his other hand too.

I dont think its anywhere near the ""absolute not a penalty" that some people are making out

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

it's a foul it's completely seperate talking about a touch on the ball, he clearly grabs at his leg.

Touching the ball doesn't give you carte blanche to do what you want.

I've seen plenty of fouls rightly given where the tackler gets some of the ball but then sticks up their legs to trip the other player, you cannot do it.

Anyone who thinks you can doesn't actually understand the rules.

You're allowed to grab players legs afaik...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I genuinely don't care if people adjudge that it wasn't a penalty or people think it was. The reffing yesterday was absolutely hapless and both teams were on the wrong end of bizarre decisions. Liverpool had a little more of the game and got what I feel were a deserved three points from a ****ing tough game.

If we get awarded five soft penalties between now and the end of the season that would be lovely, thanks. If Utd / opposition fans decide to point at those penalties as invalidating a title challenge / victory it's their perogative. Don't care myself.

• Advertisement

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I genuinely don't care if people adjudge that it wasn't a penalty or people think it was. The reffing yesterday was absolutely hapless and both teams were on the wrong end of bizarre decisions. Liverpool had a little more of the game and got what I feel were a deserved three points from a ****ing tough game.

If we get awarded five soft penalties between now and the end of the season that would be lovely, thanks. If Utd / opposition fans decide to point at those penalties as invalidating a title challenge / victory it's their perogative. Don't care myself.

Nobody is deciding to point at those penalties as invalidating a title challenge, but I cant speak for every Man Utd fan other than myself. However it sounds like your implying that we are childish and would blame a couple of penalties if you won the league?? I watched the game yesterday and I am perfectly entitled to voice my opinion regardless if it's agreed with or not.

My main point though is that your title challenge is solely from your exceptional performance as a team this season. And that's hard for me to take but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nobody is deciding to point at those penalties as invalidating a title challenge, but I cant speak for every Man Utd fan other than myself. However it sounds like your implying that we are childish and would blame a couple of penalties if you won the league?? I watched the game yesterday and I am perfectly entitled to voice my opinion regardless if it's agreed with or not.

My main point though is that your title challenge is solely from your exceptional performance as a team this season. And that's hard for me to take but there you go.

Yeah, you are. My point is that yesterday is in the books and we move on to Sunday. The second penalty was tight and if the ref said it was a penalty it probably wasn't in many ways given the absurd level of his incompetence. What do you or anyone else hope to achieve by continuing to argue it or the first decision (which is not really up for debate anyway but there you go)?

And some will point to such things, I guarantee you. Just as some Utd fans have liked to dismiss 2005 as being 'lucky' and undeserved somehow because it was decided on penalties. Or just as Liverpool fans spent a large portion of the past twenty years fixated on Fergie time and penalty awards in Old Trafford, etc.

For future reference, if you post like this:
    zerks wrote: »
    1-1 now,strongly worded letters about crooked refs being typed all over Merseyside as we speak:pac::pac:
    If I smile any harder my jaw will break :pac::pac::pac::pac:

the you're going to get got if the result doesn't hold. And that should be absolutely fair enough.

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, you are. My point is that yesterday is in the books and we move on to Sunday. The second penalty was tight and if the ref said it was a penalty it probably wasn't in many ways given the absurd level of his incompetence. What do you or anyone else hope to achieve by continuing to argue it or the first decision (which is not really up for debate anyway but there you go)?

And some will point to such things, I guarantee you. Just as some Utd fans have liked to dismiss 2005 as being 'lucky' and undeserved somehow because it was decided on penalties. Or just as Liverpool fans spent a large portion of the past twenty years fixated on Fergie time and penalty awards in Old Trafford, etc.

For future reference, if you post like this:

the you're going to get got if the result doesn't hold. And that should be absolutely fair enough.

I was also perfectly entitled to be happy about a decision going against you I love seeing Liverpool lose, standard considering we are rivals but at least I posted it in the Man Utd thread. After the game I had multiple Liverpool fans follow me into the Man Utd sueprthread and continuously quote my post and gloat at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I was also perfectly entitled to be happy about a decision going against you I love seeing Liverpool lose, standard considering we are rivals but at least I posted it in the Man Utd thread. After the game I had multiple Liverpool fans follow me into the Man Utd sueprthread and continuously quote my post and gloat at me.

What do you mean "follow" you into the United thread? That thread, and every other club thread on boards, is there for everyone's use - not just the fans of the specific club. So all you're really doing is complaining about gloating posts that reference your own gloating post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I actually didn't think it was a pen at first but looking at replays it's a definite penalty. Getting a very slight touch on the ball (which didn't even alter the direction the ball was headed) doesn't entitle a goalkeeper to subsequently drag a player down, grabbing hold of his leg in the process. It's not rugby.

That said I don't think the ref even saw the leg grab. I think he was just guessing.

Not sure where this idea comes from that as long as you get any kind of glancing touch on the ball that there is no way you can commit a foul immediately afterwards. Players often get the ball first but have still received red cards for their tackle straight after.

Even simplify it down. Was Flanagan fouled, yes or no? If it's yes then it's a penalty.

• What do you mean "follow" you into the United thread? That thread, and every other club thread on boards, is there for everyone's use - not just the fans of the specific club. So all you're really doing is complaining about gloating posts that reference your own gloating post.
    Never said it wasn't open for everyone's use I read the charter and it clearly states that but;

Mods correct me where I'm wrong but I would like some clarity in regards to the charter..

Was I OK to be happy about a decision going against Liverpool in the Man Utd superthread regardless if I believed it was a right / wrong decision? I debated the decision in the actual Match thread.
    And was it then OK for Liverpool fans to then quote / gloat at me in the Man Utd super-thread thereafter?

Thank You and apologies if I should not be posting this issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Flanagan is the best full back in the league. If not the world. #RedCafu

What do you mean "follow" you into the United thread? That thread, and every other club thread on boards, is there for everyone's use - not just the fans of the specific club. So all you're really doing is complaining about gloating posts that reference your own gloating post.

Gloating about a gloat

Gloatception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

someone put this thread out of its misery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Bit of history on the ref - he's been suspended before for a bad decision. He really should be suspended again, it makes no sense that he had all the information at his disposal and still made the wrong call. Seems he was stubborn and didn't want to be over-ruled by the linesman.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cardiff-city-blunder-ref-anthony-2473762

Also, RE the second penalty, looks like it was actually the right call. Good critique of the incident here, commentators always fall back on the 'he touched it first' line.

http://www.football.co.uk/liverpool/in_defence_of_anthony_taylor_rss4669693.shtml

To add, I'm not a Liverpool fan, but would like to see them win it this year... once I don't have to hear about it for the next 10! Any chance you could win but celebrate quietly? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Not sure if this is serious but I had a good laugh either way.

It's amazing really how many people don't really understand the rules of this beautiful game :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's amazing really how many people don't really understand the rules of this beautiful game :rolleyes:

You're right there alright.

It's the same tackle, regardless of Flanagan being taken out, it's still the first tackle in which Adrian got the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

ricero wrote: »
    someone put this thread out of its misery

Not over until someone says "this is why I don't post in match threads ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Spoken like someone who doesn't actually play football.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

ricero wrote: »
    someone put this misery out of its thread
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Never said it wasn't open for everyone's use I read the charter and it clearly states that but;

Mods correct me where I'm wrong but I would like some clarity in regards to the charter..

Was I OK to be happy about a decision going against Liverpool in the Man Utd superthread regardless if I believed it was a right / wrong decision? I debated the decision in the actual Match thread.
    And was it then OK for Liverpool fans to then quote / gloat at me in the Man Utd super-thread thereafter?

Thank You and apologies if I should not be posting this issue here.

I'm no mod here but I can clarify for you.

Officially you shouldn't post about Liverpool in the utd thread (and vice versa of course) and no one should have responded to it.

BUT, (and this is my opinion) if you decide to have banter, then don't be too upset if it is thrown back in your direction if things go the other way. The Utd thread is not a safe haven where you can gleefully talk about bad things happening to Liverpool safe from ripostes from Liverpool fans. Live by the sword, etc.

If you want to invoke mod rulings and in turn get the letter of the law applied across the forum it will be a worse place for it. Your post in the utd thread, and the replies to you were all very mild stuff indeed, and nothing to even pretend to get worked up about. Move along, and on with the serious internet business of posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

roryc wrote: »
    Bit of history on the ref - he's been suspended before for a bad decision. He really should be suspended again, it makes no sense that he had all the information at his disposal and still made the wrong call. Seems he was stubborn and didn't want to be over-ruled by the linesman.

I think he just bottled it to be honest. The Upton Park crowd were raucous while he was consulting with the linesman. He knew what was coming for him if he overturned the decision, and he couldn't cope with it. If he's too cowardly to make unpopular decisions, he shouldn't be a referee, full stop.

Advertisement