Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your least favourite beer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fosters is absolute dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Budweiser is so bland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Most European beers are pretty decent.

Although I won't drink (be ripped off) 'craft beers', its a publicans attempt to rip us off with overly inflated prices on beers which aren't good enough to make it big.

Other than that it's got to be Millers ~ its absolute gick.

Dumbest post ive read on here in a long while, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Budweiser
    Heineken
    Carlsberg

The only reason people drink them is because of expensive marketing campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭shannonman81

Carlsberg, Carling, Smithwicks, Budweiser.

I don't get Coors light either....tastes like watered down sugary muck

Any of those beers you get in Spain.. Tropical Mahou San Miguel etc are rank unless they are ice cold(but that could apply to all beers)

I love Paulener and some of the Erdingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wouldn't normally go near Budweiser, but some years ago I was in a hotel bar with some guys who were talking about how bad it was. I thought they must be exaggerating, so I bought one. They weren't exaggerating. :o

More recently, I was really depressed by Molson "Canadian". It was really poor, nothing like the Molson I tried in Canada. If you want to try real Canadian beer, you can get imported Moosehead, which is much better and no more expensive. I don't want to taste glycerine in my beer, eh.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Some of those craft beers, particularly the double IPA's where you can imagine the gears going in their head whenever they are brewing it

"Mass market beer is just so bland lets make ours really hoppy, hmmmm maybe that was too much hops, ah sure people will drink it anyway because its craft and will say 'you can't have too much flavour' or 'its an acquired taste'"

I'd recommend Dark Arts Porter for a craft one that hasn't been following that nasty trend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Some of those craft beers, particularly the double IPA's where you can imagine the gears going in their head whenever they are brewing it

"Mass market beer is just so bland lets make ours really hoppy, hmmmm maybe that was too much hops, ah sure people will drink it anyway because its craft and will say 'you can't have too much flavour' or 'its an acquired taste'"

I'd recommend Dark Arts Porter for a craft one that hasn't been following that nasty trend
    Taste is subjective, different strokes & all that...

I'm a certified hop Monsta :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Taste is subjective, different strokes & all that...

I'm a certified hop Monsta :D

Don't get me wrong I don't mind hoppy stuff otherwise I would never be trying stuff like those IPA's but its the lazyness of it that annoys me, its easy to make a beer really hoppy its harder to make it have other tastes as well. Too much hops is a real thing :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Coors. Their questionable ethics haven't exactly enamored them to me either over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Almost all of the generic beers sold on tap in Ireland are awful. For a country with such a lauded pub culture pretty much all the draughts taste awful with the exceptions Guinness and Murphys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Don't get me wrong I don't mind hoppy stuff otherwise I would never be trying stuff like those IPA's but its the lazyness of it that annoys me, its easy to make a beer really hoppy its harder to make it have other tastes as well. Too much hops is a real thing :eek:

Yeah, I love a nice IPA and I'm regularly in the mood for something very hoppy, but even then I've had stuff that was way overhopped to the point of being really bitter and nasty tasting. Not bitter in a good way like a nice English bitter either.

to be honest, there is some awful muck calling itself 'craft' these days, like the McGrath's stuff. They started stocking that in supervalu and a couple of pubs around town, it's awful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was on a flight once, I had a Pilsner Urquell. Great beer. Then I asked for another and they were out. I asked what they had left
    Bud - nope
    Miller - meh, prefer not
    Michelob Ultra - Ok, I've not had that, I'll give it a go.

*cracks open can* *takes sip* *almost vomits*
    Uggghhhhhh, WTF is this? This isn't even beer! This is like if you took a real beer like Pilsner Urquell poured out 9/10s of it and filler the 9/10s up with water.
    I couldn't finish it. Had to send it back and the only thing I could get to was the horrible away was a Miller FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Suas11 wrote: »
    No, they don't.

I agree with everything else you say though.

ohyes they do

I don't like the watery beers like Bud, Molson etc. but I don't HATE them, I'd just prefer something that has a taste (any kind of taste!). But my least favourite has to be Dutch Gold, I just find it painfully horrible to drink and it always gives me such a rotten hangover too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Most European beers are pretty decent.

Although I won't drink (be ripped off) 'craft beers', its a publicans attempt to rip us off with overly inflated prices on beers which aren't good enough to make it big.

Other than that it's got to be Millers ~ its absolute gick.

That's just a generalisation. There are plenty of places that sell it at a reasonable price. The Franciscan Well and the Bierhaus in Cork sell cask ale for €4 a pint. Heineken/Budweiser/Guinness etc. would sell for about €4.50 a pint in the rest of town.

Craft pubs generally don't rip off people who drink less, as well. A half pint costs half the price of a pint, not about two thirds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Carling. Euuughhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Carlsberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Suas11 wrote: »
    No, they don't.

I agree with everything else you say though.

From Wikipedia: The subculture has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behaviours" and is broadly associated with indie and alternative music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility (including vintage and thrift store-bought clothes), progressive, independent, or far-left political views, organic or artisanal foods, and alternative lifestyles. Hipsters are typically described as affluent or middle class young Bohemians who reside in gentrifying neighborhoods.

Take a walk around Trinity College's Arts Block on a Thursday afternoon and tell me these people don't exist. I'm in my final year of study there and I have to wade through them each day on my way to the library.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Galahad. Pure evil in a can.
    what do you expect from something that makes Dutch Gold look expensive ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I like a nice pint of Smithwicks but what you get in pubs is too inconsistent and mank out of a can.

Harp is a bit like that, once upon a time I've had a nice pint of it. But not something you'd rely on. Ages since I've bothered.

Carlsberg , heard a rumour they add cabbage oil to it and there's a small part of your brain going "that explains everything"

Weiss beer I can understand why people like it , but I'm not one of those people.

Real Ales. Not the real real ales, but the warm flat stuff you get a lot of in the UK, it's got the same gas , colour, temperature, and suddsyness of overnight dishwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Corona or that other stuff Sol. Woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bud. Carlsberg. Heineken.

Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Budweiser is pure pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Faust. I have had so many beers in Germany. So many. And I have loved so many of them. So you order beer in Germany fully expecting to get something above average or exceptional.

Until the day you get something from the Faust Brewery. It has to be.... The. Worst. Beer. Ever.

I have had hangovers from their Alcohol Free beer. It is THAT bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Carling. Dish-water. It really tastes exactly how I'd imagine dish-water to taste; has a diluted washing-up liquid feel to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Two words for you.....orangi boom. F**k me its bad.

+1. I've heard Oranjeboom used as a generic term for sh1te beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

dmc17 wrote: »
    +1. I've heard Oranjeboom used as a generic term for sh1te beer

Pretty much pure cack...

For me it's any of the "beers" like Desperados which are really alcopops for the dull minded...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Treadhead wrote: »
    Pretty much pure cack...

For me it's any of the "beers" like Desperados which are really alcopops for the dull minded...

Can't believe it took until now for someone to mention Desperado!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭thebullkf

drumswan wrote: »
    Dumbest post ive read on here in a long while, well done.

Care to elaborate, I think makikomi is spot on. Overpriced, though I admit I like a couple of them.

Very few value for money beers in pubs these days. The vfi / mafia have it sown up. And us eejits pay their priced .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Your taste buds are obviously non-existent. How can you can claim to taste no difference between the likes of Heineken and a good craft beer? Of course they're not all amazing and taste is quite subjective but jeeesus....

dan1895 wrote: »
    Can't believe it took until now for someone to mention Desperado!

I've never tried the stuff but one look at the label told me all I needed to know. Horrible gaudy studenty look about it..

I shall give it a go when I get handed a free one but I ain't paying for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Trying to remember the "Taste" of these least fav beers..

Carlsberg: Watery, horrible aftertaste
    Budweiser: Watery, tasteless
    Coors: Vile
    Heineken: If there is nothing else and you really have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Dutch Gold and Kopacki both gave me severe stomachaches after one can. Nasty, rank stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Tuborg. Complete river-water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'd really not prefer to even hint at it being a beer, but Budweiser is closer to piss than beer...absolutely rotten stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Probably guinness or any stout really. Never understood how it's so popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

thelad95 wrote: »
    Tuborg. Complete river-water.

Tuborg Export, on the other hand: I remember it went down a treat on a hot day in England after a job interview that did not go well. One of those "I need a drink" moments that are thankfully quite rare for me, but it was there when I needed it. Two pints of that, the train ride home was all the better for it.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

O'Hara's IPA is horrible and I hate Bud, Coors Light and Corona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Fosters. Pure and utter piss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Carlsberg. Vile stuff. What the ends of various kegs must be like all mixed together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

"Emu" beer in oz...its actually what I'd think a dead emu tastes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

Carling Black Label, McEwans lager and skol are three more i wouldn't recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Tuborg.

Tried some different IPA's recently.

Seemed very hoppy(?) in their taste. Not a huge fan(so far anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Dutch Gold.
    Don't know how I drank so much of it when I was a young lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Coors Light. Truly awful.

I also hated Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12. This was the beer that made me realise that I know nothing about beer, or that everyone else knows nothing about beer, because it's bloody rotten. The problem lies with me in fairness, but my god it was terrible.
    Feck. That's my 'very favourite, special treat' beer. One of us is extremely wrong. Of course, seeing as this is an internet discussion board, that'd be you!

:p

I agree with you on the Hoors Shight though, which confuses the issue...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Worst beer I've ever tried was Keller, they used to serve it in the bar in DCU, absolutely foul stuff.

Hate Dutch Gold too.

Re. craft beer, it's usually not that much more expensive than a regular pint, especially when you consider it's generally a higher %. If you're smart about where you go you can easily pick up "different" beer at a reasonable price.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Blue Moon. Absolutely vile. Probably the only beer I've ever been served that I literally could not drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

O'Hara's red ale - yuck; although I've tried few other and came to the conclusion that red ales are just not for me.

Canadian Molson - don't know what's the fuss about, didn't like it at all.

Desperado - no thanks

The worst I've drank so far though was some bottled beer from Oregon (if I remember correctly) that gave me a blinding headache after a second sip. It had a nicely designed label, something to do with pirates but god that was like an assault to my taste buds.

Advertisement