Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your least favourite beer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Bitburger
    I bought a minikeg of this stuff last week for a tenner. Absolute sludge wrapped in tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I was in England for Christmas,
    Most chains were doing deals on fosters and castlemaine xxxx, two awful awful beers.
    Everybody was grimacing whilst gulping them down because they were cheap.

I can't get my head around people forcing themselves to drink 6 pints of shîte, instead of 5 pints of something you'd enjoy.

The worst beer I've tasted is grolsch, and the hangover from it is for sure the origin of the phrase " the horrors"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Blue Moon. Absolutely vile. Probably the only beer I've ever been served that I literally could not drink.

Tastes like a flat Fanta, and they add a slice of orange to it, because there is just not enough orange taste. Luckily, I requested a sample of it and prevented myself from spending any money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Breo, when it was available, it tasted like sucking a dish cloth from a particularly unhygienic house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The beer in Spain is crap so my taste in beer has gotten worse since arriving. I'd genuinely drink any auld ****e at this stage. Never liked lager 'till I moved here and now I have no choice to drink and have had to acquire a taste for it.

Heineken is really awful beer though as is Bud. I'd still drink them though!

Estrella and San Miguel are lovely I think, and Mahou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Haven't tried too many beers then??

sure have. I hate nearly all Dutch beer anyway and Amstel is the worst of it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Excellsior in Lidl is pretty bad, but then again it's 89 cent a can or something like that. Just tastes like water really, with a nasty aftertaste. Bavaria 8.9 is also horrible, was fairly tipsy after 2 cans of the stuff, rocket fuel. Fair old headache the next day after the four pack. Pifko lager is another I tried recently. At first I thought it was decent, but got a couple of bad packs possibly a batch issue so avoiding it now. Rough stuff.
    Agree with many regarding craft beers, I had 2 pints of O Haras lager in a restaurant and it was nothing spectacular, although it was fine. Not worth any premium price over the likes of Carlsberg or Tuborg though. I also had a Punk Ale which was horrendous. Must have been a bag of sugar loaded in it. Nearly dumped it down the sink it was that bad, but managed to drink it all :) . Wouldn't be in any rush to try it again!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

yoyo wrote: »
    Excellsior in Lidl is pretty bad, but then again it's 89 cent a can or something like that. Just tastes like water really, with a nasty aftertaste. Bavaria 8.9 is also horrible, was fairly tipsy after 2 cans of the stuff, rocket fuel. Fair old headache the next day after the four pack. Pifko lager is another I tried recently. At first I thought it was decent, but got a couple of bad packs possibly a batch issue so avoiding it now. Rough stuff.
    Agree with many regarding craft beers, I had 2 pints of O Haras lager in a restaurant and it was nothing spectacular, although it was fine. Not worth any premium price over the likes of Carlsberg or Tuborg though. I also had a Punk Ale which was horrendous. Must have been a bag of sugar loaded in it. Nearly dumped it down the sink it was that bad, but managed to drink it all :) . Wouldn't be in any rush to try it again!

Nick

So, is it Yoyo or Nick?

Birneybau

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Birneybau wrote: »
    So, is it Yoyo or Nick?

Birneybau

My real name? Have a guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

yoyo wrote: »
    My real name? Have a guess :)

Mary? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Estrella and San Miguel are lovely I think, and Mahou.

Grand in the heat when served very cold (so you can't taste them). There's much tastier beers out there though.

Any form of weissbeer, a truely horrid drink, the smell alone would turn your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Grolsch. The clue is in the name. I just picture some poor devil over a bowl puking

"Grooolsh..... oh jesus...... Grooolsh...... christ...."

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

D1stant wrote: »
    Grolsch. The clue is in the name. I just picture some poor devil over a bowl puking

"Grooolsh..... oh jesus...... Grooolsh...... christ...."

Have to agree .......its awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Carlsberg; the initial sip is wretch inducing then it gets (slightly) better.
    Toohey's New.
    Had trouble finishing a Mi Daza stout, ugh.
    Most beers that taste overly hoppy - dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Carlsberg; the initial sip is wretch inducing then it gets (slightly) better.

Especially out of a can, that first sip (and the smell) is rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

O haras red ale, the after taste is vile. Bud is just piss, will never touch the stuff again

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Majority of beers mentioned here taste fine when chilled and drank from a pint glass. Not many people could tell the difference in a taste test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

My least favourite beer is the empty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Not too keen on wheat beers. Blue Moon is pretty horrendous. Rotten hangovers off them as well I've heard.

Don't like beer that was stored in Whiskey casks. Innis&Gunn etc.

Apart from that I'll drink any type of beer. And lots of it. All good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Any form of weissbeer, a truely horrid drink, the smell alone would turn your stomach.

Actually that would be one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Heineken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I really wish I knew about things likes wheat and hops and casks so I could make a good guess before I buy of whether or not I'm going to like something :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I really wish I knew about things likes wheat and hops and casks so I could make a good guess before I buy of whether or not I'm going to like something :(

Most places will leave you try a sip from a small glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Most places will leave you try a sip from a small glass.

To be honest, a lot of the places I go out wouldn't, or wouldn't even have anything special on tap.

But it'd be nice to be able to go into the offie, have a read of a few labels and know I'll get something new and nice. I mean through trial and error I've found a few that I like but I'd like to broaden my horizons too. I'll get around to it at some point sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I dislike Heineken. This appears to leave me very much in the minority in Cork, but so it goes. The most offensive concoction going by the name of "beer" that I have encountered is Labatt Sterling - I could not possibly be blashphemous enough about it.

And for the record, the best beer in the known universe is a pint of Theakston's Old Peculier served at traditional British sheep's-piss temperature outside the Creg-ny-Baa hotel on the Isle of Man with your dad, while watching Mick Rutter earholing past at 100 MPH. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dutch Gold, Carling, Fosters, Tuborg. All absolute piss.

I'm also not a huge fan of stouts in general, so Guinness is something I don't touch with a ten-foot bargepole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

To be honest, a lot of the places I go out wouldn't, or wouldn't even have anything special on tap.

But it'd be nice to be able to go into the offie, have a read of a few labels and know I'll get something new and nice. I mean through trial and error I've found a few that I like but I'd like to broaden my horizons too. I'll get around to it at some point sure.

Try the ratebeer app.

I reckon he means that sitting there chin stoking and marvelling on some beer you picked from a menu that costs a few quid more than a pint of Heineken is really not worth it and is the height of pretentiousness.

Whenever I find myself in one of these places I try to go for a beer whose description most closely resembles a big name beer that I like. I don't like the places. Too many hipsters.

Ignore the hipsters and enjoy the beer, that's what I do. Luckily these beers are getting more exposure in mainstream pubs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    While I don't nesscessarily disagree, you could apply the same logic to the majority of consumers throughout the world.

Majority of people are like sheep.

This is in response to a guy who didn't like craft beer ? Maybe he isn't a sheep but tried craft beer and didn't like it.

Snobbishness about beer is the weirdest snobbery yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

This is in response to a guy who didn't like craft beer ? Maybe he isn't a sheep but tried craft beer and didn't like it.

Think it was in response to the guy who said that Irish people are idiots and that they only drink certain beers because of all the big budget advertising.

Cos that doesn't happen anywhere else

Although I won't drink (be ripped off) 'craft beers', its a publicans attempt to rip us off with overly inflated prices on beers which aren't good enough to make it big

I can't agree with this, it's to do with mass production and nothing more. You really are missing out

The ones that taste nothing like regular beers like Heineken or stronger German type beers. They're sort of on the opposite end of the scale. You know them?

Why do you want them to taste like Heineken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Desperados.

It's bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Although I won't drink (be ripped off) 'craft beers', its a publicans attempt to rip us off with overly inflated prices on beers which aren't good enough to make it big.

A lot of craft beers aren't any more expensive on draught these days.

You can get good pints for 4/5 euro in places around town.

Some of them are more expensive but saying that all craft beers are overpriced isn't accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I bought a bottle of Asahi beer on on Saturday as my try a new beer every week thing I have going on. It was €3 for a 500 ml bottle and was absolute piss. I has a similar taste and smell as Dutch gold but nowhere near as nice.

Where is this 'Premier Lager X is absolute piss' coming from? All of these taste almost identical, none of you could pick one over another in a blind taste test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Heineken and Carlsberg are both piss imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

drumswan wrote: »
    Where is this 'Premier Lager X is absolute piss' coming from? All of these taste almost identical, none of you could pick one over another in a blind taste test.

That's the problem. They all taste the same, and even then the flavour isn't great so you have to drink them cold.

That's grand when you just want to get drunk, but it's not so good if you want to enjoy what you're tasting.

An File wrote: »
    That's the problem. They all taste the same, and even then the flavour isn't great so you have to drink them cold.

That's grand when you just want to get drunk, but it's not so good if you want to enjoy what you're tasting.

They are what they are; lawnmower beers, Ive no problem with that. Its this notion that Carlsberg (say) is far superior and totally different tasting to say, Tuborg - which is ridiculous. People who have only ever had Pale Lager (+Guinness) are imagining some kind of vast taste spectrum across beers which occupy a tiny space in the actual beer spectrum and are the least flavoursome beers available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Most mass market lagers, Bud however holds a special place. King of beers me arse. Technically there are probably worse beers because the taste is too 'strong' but bud just doesn't have enough taste, to watery and fizzy.

Don't know what to compare it to. Gateway 2000 at least went bust. Maybe easy singles cheese or fish fingers or Forumla 1 hotels. But Bud isn't even cheap. In every way an inferior product basically a sub-beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Really don't like Heineken. Just tastes awful to me.

Didn't particularly like Sol either until I had it without a lump of lime crammed down the bottles neck and its actually not bad at all straight from the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Brewdog Hardcore IPA, Don't waste your money. it's feckin awful stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh no, it's nowhere near as pretentious as designer bottled water

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Most mass market lagers, Bud however holds a special place. King of beers me arse. Technically there are probably worse beers because the taste is too 'strong' but bud just doesn't have enough taste, to watery and fizzy.

Don't know what to compare it to. Gateway 2000 at least went bust. Maybe easy singles cheese or fish fingers or Forumla 1 hotels. But Bud isn't even cheap. In every way an inferior product basically a sub-beer.
    Calling Bud a beer is like comparing rice crispies to a loaf of bread

Calling Bud a beer is like comparing rice crispies to a loaf of bread

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Any beer with lime flavors already mixed in.bud light with lime for example.stuff tastes like washing up liquid and gives me the ****s.Very good chance it's actually washing up liquid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

It's fairly simple really, mass market beers are designed to be drank ice cold and have no distintive flavour, there is nothing particularly offensive to them except for the "lite" varieties which have a soapy taste. Anything brewed to the only 4 ingredients german standard should be pretty decent.

I can't see how a lager would either be the best or worst pint you'd have. It's the mildest flavour going.

A micro-brew beer within the golden ale to porter spectrum has the possibility for much more interesting / stimulating flavours. Also the possibility for dank, putrid, foul tasting disaster when it goes wrong.

Cold & fizzy with a mild flavour or cold and creamy with a mild flavour works for the masses. Nothing wrong with it, horses for courses. Sometimes it's nice to have something with a bit of thought gone into producing a more interesting flavour or extra effort taken to reduce impurities to give the cleanest, most crisp flavour.

Not sure how that's hard to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone remember when Lidl used to do dirt cheap slabs of Excelsior?

The word "dirt" is highly appropriate there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Harp(ic) - despite Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you - do they even make it anymore? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement