Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your least favourite beer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

drumswan wrote: »
    Not really.

Well Budweiser is made of about 30% rice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Carling with lime.Got 4 bottles for €3.Was rotten stuff. Didnt even drink the last bottle of it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

syngindub wrote: »
    Brewdog Hardcore IPA, Don't waste your money. it's feckin awful stuff

Funnily enough this is probably my favourite from the regular Brewdog range. Pricey though, but will treat myself to it occasionally.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Funnily enough this is probably my favourite from the regular Brewdog range. Pricey though, but will treat myself to it occasionally.
    I can't stand it personally, don't know where you get the palette from :) fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Treadhead wrote: »
    Well Budweiser is made of about 30% rice...

unconfirmed no? They actually dont have to publish their ingredients. Guinness includes sugary corn syrup and fish bladders. Bud & bud light are rumoured to include all sorts of muck too. Their is an FDA list for possible ingredients for beer in the US, doesn't make pretty reading.

For lager, you cant go wrong with german so long as it meets the purity laws.

syngindub wrote: »
    I can't stand it personally, don't know where you get the palette from :) fair play

Do you drink much ales at all? Particularly pale ales? If you went straight from lager to hardcore I could understand why you wouldn't like it, it's a fairly intense beer with a high alcohol content so could definitely turn you off.

Or maybe it just isn't for you, at least you gave it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hackenberg

Leaves a sharp and nasty metallic taste in your mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Do you drink much ales at all? Particularly pale ales? If you went straight from lager to hardcore I could understand why you wouldn't like it, it's a fairly intense beer with a high alcohol content so could definitely turn you off.

Or maybe it just isn't for you, at least you gave it a shot.

I've been trying many of the world beers over the last year on sale.
    The misses got me this one few months back..maybe just not built up a palette yet for extremely hoppy beers.

Ah I see, I quite like the hoppy stuff myself :)

Than again, I like most styles of beer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

What do people think of aldi's O'shea's pale ale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Goes well with Food, especially curries, and it's Irish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Stella is pure sour piss water. It's vile tasting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Harp aka Harpic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Another vote for Budweiser here. For some reason the taste just seems much more unnatural than any other beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Pug160 wrote: »
    Another vote for Budweiser here. For some reason the taste just seems much more unnatural than any other beer.

+ 1 for bud.....pure mule, how do people do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I am pie wrote: »
    It's fairly simple really, mass market beers are designed to be drank ice cold and have no distintive flavour, there is nothing particularly offensive to them except for the "lite" varieties which have a soapy taste. Anything brewed to the only 4 ingredients german standard should be pretty decent.

I can't see how a lager would either be the best or worst pint you'd have. It's the mildest flavour going.

A micro-brew beer within the golden ale to porter spectrum has the possibility for much more interesting / stimulating flavours. Also the possibility for dank, putrid, foul tasting disaster when it goes wrong.

Cold & fizzy with a mild flavour or cold and creamy with a mild flavour works for the masses. Nothing wrong with it, horses for courses. Sometimes it's nice to have something with a bit of thought gone into producing a more interesting flavour or extra effort taken to reduce impurities to give the cleanest, most crisp flavour.

Not sure how that's hard to understand?

I know what you are saying, the only time I've had Bud in the last 15 years is on trains, basically the beer menu is usually cider which I don't like, Guinness in a can or Bud, or possibly Hieniken. So most likely the Bud wasn't cold enough. I actually don't mind Carlsbourg, Stella or Hieniken that much, Bud just tastes particularly bland to me.

In marketing terms brewers want beers that as session able i.e. Beers you can drink 10 of in a session. Hence the popularity of 'ice' beers.

Am amazed at the speed which pubs have gone from only serving a few beers on tap to half of them being craft beer places. Personally I prefer 'world' beers to craft beers. Beer Haus in Galway is good for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Lovely stuff and very good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Pug160 wrote: »

It's the McDonalds of beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lovely stuff and very good value.

Agree, it's made by the Carlow Brewing Company AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Least favourite beer is the one that doesn't get me drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No way do most of these mainstream lagers deserve to be on this list, unless these people have only drank four beers in their life. Heineken, Bud, etc, these are all bland, commercial and inoffensive for better or worse.

I'd say Carling is objectively bad - low alcohol, tasteless and flat.

To be honest having spent a few weeks in Australia over the winter they take the biscuit when it comes to poor beers. At the cricket we could only get Carlton mid-strength. Not only did this not taste at all nice but it gave you horrid gut-rot. That would win the award for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Very nice. And cheap! Their stout is not bad either. Nicer than cans of Guinness at least, although that wouldn't be hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

131spanner wrote: »
    Almost all of it. I love the cider, I do. (Runs for cover)

Me too. Ever been accused of been a woman for drinking it? Fecking hate that. Drunk after 3 pints = lightweight. Not drinking at all = weirdo. Staying at home = dry as a Rwandan's arsehole. Can't win. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Leffe beer. jesus you could strip paint with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

I find leffe tastes lovely out of a bottle,not as nice on draft,too caramelly or something,but bottles of it are really nice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I dont know if its still around but there was a lager called XXX. Pure pisswater that gave an almighty hangover. Only drank it at the time as it was buy 24cans for €24 and get a slab free!! Ahh student memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Tiger beer. Rancid stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Molson Canadian tastes like water, never again.
    Bud never took to it hate the taste
    Fosters not sure if I got bad pints or that's how it's meant to be. Seems better in cans.
    More of an ale drinker and I prefer the stronger flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I usually drink bottles of Leffe when I'm back home actually, it's strong stuff but I like it.

pawrick wrote: »
    Molson Canadian tastes like water, never again.
    Bud never took to it hate the taste
    Fosters not sure if I got bad pints or that's how it's meant to be. Seems better in cans.
    More of an ale drinker and I prefer the stronger flavours.

I live in Canada and I can tell you that Molson is only ever drunk at sporting events from what I ever saw. It's usually either that or Bud and anything is better than Bud.

As for Fosters, it's so bad even Australians don't touch the stuff and that's really saying something when you see the awful stuff a lot of Aussies like to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Bitburger
    I bought a minikeg of this stuff last week for a tenner. Absolute sludge wrapped in tin.

Must have been something wrong with it so. Bit's lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Budweiser: Pish

Coors Light: Sugary Pish

Blue Moon: like someone poured a pint of Bud and left a Jaffa Cake to sit in it overnight before removing it

Have had some horrible pints of Tuborg too, some odd sour aftertaste, like milk that is on the turn. No option but to drink it if I get invited out for 2 or 3 pints before payday, because it's 3.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Me too. Ever been accused of been a woman for drinking it? Fecking hate that. Drunk after 3 pints = lightweight. Not drinking at all = weirdo. Staying at home = dry as a Rwandan's arsehole. Can't win. :mad:

Yes! Or do you ever get the "Still drinking Bulmers? What are you, 17 like?"

FFS like :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Molson is probably the blandest i've tasted in a while.

I used to be a Carlsberg man until I broadened my tastes a bit, now i cant drink it, it's horrible.

I find that you should try the different ones and pick a style you like best. For example I like pilsners more than anything else. Staropramen would be one of my favourites there, or maybe Pilsner Urquell. Hell, even when Tesco were doing Vratislav for 99c a bottle it wasnt too bad!

Stouts: I'm a fan of Innis & Gunn's range of ales anyway (the rum finish is especially nice) but their whiskey cask stout is possibly the finest stout i've ever tasted. O'Haras Leann Feolann Stout and Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts Porter get an honourable mention too.

Weiss: Not a huge weiss fan but I'll happily drink a Schneider Weiss Tap 7.

Live a little, go to a good offie and ask.

Life's too short to drink bad beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

CJC999 wrote: »
    Stella is pure sour piss water. It's vile tasting stuff.

Ah, ye olde Wifebeater. Hard to believe it comes from the same country as Chimay Blue cap.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Ah, ye olde Wifebeater. Hard to believe it comes from the same country as Chimay Blue cap.

Its funny how its marketed as this really sophisticated beer when so many people see it as the exact opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Its funny how its marketed as this really sophisticated beer when so many people see it as the exact opposite

First rule of Public Relations: repeat often enough until a sufficient number believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I live in Canada and I can tell you that Molson is only ever drunk at sporting events from what I ever saw. It's usually either that or Bud and anything is better than Bud.

I've only seen people drink Labatt's Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

As for Fosters, it's so bad even Australians don't touch the stuff and that's really saying something when you see the awful stuff a lot of Aussies like to drink.

I went into a Dan Murphy's booze warehouse (about the size of your average Tesco) in oz once and for the laugh asked them where the Fosters was.

They couldn't find it. Not a notion of where it was.

I can't imagine it being much worse than VB or...what was the other one....Tooheys! UUURRRGGGGHHHH.

Now Coopers Green on the other hand.....mmmmmmmm. Can be found over here too. Little Creatures was good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel. My first quadrupel ever, and most certainly my last. I very rarely like ales, so me and Straffe Hendrik were never going to work out.

Fosters probably my least favourite lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel.
    Sacrilege :D;)

I've only seen people drink Labatt's Blue

I haven't seen that one. I haven't tried it.
    What part of the country are you in?

I haven't seen that one. I haven't tried it.
    What part of the country are you in?

Ontario, Canada near Toronto.

Ontario, Canada near Toronto.

I was over that part of the country a couple of years ago but didn't spend long enough there. I'm in Vancouver myself for the past 2 years.

I was over that part of the country a couple of years ago but didn't spend long enough there. I'm in Vancouver myself for the past 2 years.

My youngest son keeps trying to convince me to move to Vancouver. He's 23 and wants to live where there is less chance of getting a lot of snow.

• Advertisement

Bud is one of the few beers that I find undrinkable. Have only had 2 bottles of it in my life but I paid for it. Both times it was an end of night thing and it was free so I took it but woke up the next morning and felt like my stomach was full of bubbles. I equate the after taste to having your mouth washed out with soap, just a horrible and unpleasent taste. Guinness is similiarly disgusting, it's like drinking a cold cup of coffee after someone emptied the ash tray into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Got my usual beers tonight,and a bottle of Schneider Weiss, after seeing it in the shop I decided I'd give it a go... never again, poured the rest of the bottle down the drain, it tasted like vinegar:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Sacrilege :D;)

I know it's a quality beer, I know it's made with better quality ingredients than the muck I usually drink..but it's just gross! Deeply, deeply unpleasant taste. I'd rather die of thirst than have another. I got a selection of craft beers last Christmas, and that quadrupel was the last of the box. I can only hope it comforts you that I poured it down the sink after two drinks.

Wait, why would that comfort you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Bud is one of the few beers that I find undrinkable. Have only had 2 bottles of it in my life but I paid for it. Both times it was an end of night thing and it was free so I took it but woke up the next morning and felt like my stomach was full of bubbles. I equate the after taste to having your mouth washed out with soap, just a horrible and unpleasent taste. Guinness is similiarly disgusting, it's like drinking a cold cup of coffee after someone emptied the ash tray into it.

I would have thought that all beer is fairly undrinkable and an acquired taste - at least it was with me. Bottled beer of any type is pure muck and should only be drunk as a last resort i.e. if the draught has run out or you're in one of those increasingly rare pubs that only stock bottled beer. As for describing Guinness as disgusting......nectar of the Gods!! I still stick with my original choice - Harp - disgusting from the bottle or keg. :D

Harp is a grand drink. I had it there lately after not drinking it for a while when the offie I went into had no Bavaria. We used to drink loads of it a few years ago though, it was our take out of choice back then and had excellent pints of it on draft on a weekend to Edinburgh a few years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement