Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you turn an idea into a business ?

Options
  • 05-04-2014 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hypothetically
    If you had an idea for a pub that might work in the city.....something different that would appeal to all.How would you go about floating the concept to possible investors/Partners ?.
    I know nothing about running a pub and i have no money to invest but i do have 35 years experience of "going out" in Waterford and i know that the pub i'd like to drink in hasn't really been done yet .
    Is there anyone that these ideas can be floated to ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Draw up a detailed business plan, do your research and know your stuff if you do get to put your idea to anyone.

You need to include where you see the niche, what you have to back this up, how much it will cost to make this dream a reality, how you intend to get it done, cash flow projections, getting a company registered, budgets, percentages, how you see the business growing, time frame for return on investment or dividend etc

There is plenty more, a lot goes into setting up a business particularly if you are coming from a background of no money and no experience :)

What kind of pub would you like? Why do you think that enough people will also like it enough to spend there money there instead of the other venues in the town and why has it not been done yet if so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Is it a heavy metal gay bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Is it a
    heavy metal gay bar?

You could get Rob to run it for you.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oo_sTzE6Tck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Hypothetically
    If you had an idea for a pub that might work in the city.....something different that would appeal to all.How would you go about floating the concept to possible investors/Partners ?.
    I know nothing about running a pub and i have no money to invest but i do have 35 years experience of "going out" in Waterford and i know that the pub i'd like to drink in hasn't really been done yet .
    Is there anyone that these ideas can be floated to ?

Define 'all'. Nothing is going to appeal to everyone, so if you are starting from a point of saying it would appeal to all, you maybe haven't thought it through :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

There is plenty of people who go out on the piss every night of the week but it doesn't mean they would have any clue as how to run a pub so your notion that you would because you have been out and about for 35 yrs is not exactly going to be a reason why any potential person may invest your ideas.

I worked in the pub night club scene for a long time and I wouldn't dream of opening a pub or club as most are dying on their arses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Haha ...why not, if that worked.....but why pigeonhole the place ...therein lies the issue

kryogen wrote: »
    Draw up a detailed business plan, do your research and know your stuff if you do get to put your idea to anyone.

You need to include where you see the niche, what you have to back this up, how much it will cost to make this dream a reality, how you intend to get it done, cash flow projections, getting a company registered, budgets, percentages, how you see the business growing, time frame for return on investment or dividend etc

There is plenty more, a lot goes into setting up a business particularly if you are coming from a background of no money and no experience :)

What kind of pub would you like? Why do you think that enough people will also like it enough to spend there money there instead of the other venues in the town and why has it not been done yet if so?

Thanks for the reality check
    I don't have enough confidence in the idea to go through all that.
    I also don't have the connections or know how......back to doing the lotto :)

obezyana wrote: »
    There is plenty of people who go out on the piss every night of the week but it doesn't mean they would have any clue as how to run a pub so your notion that you would because you have been out and about for 35 yrs is not exactly going to be a reason why any potential person may invest your ideas.

I worked in the pub night club scene for a long time and I wouldn't dream of opening a pub or club as most are dying on their arses.

Hey ....read the FN post at least.....you might see the phrase "how do you" or "how would you" in reference to doing these things....The whole point of my post was to ask "How to"

You have, by your own admission, no experience, no expertise to offer and no money to put up. So it doesn't matter if someone tells you 'how to', it is not going to happen. So why not put your idea up here where we can take it to bits :D then if someone does think its a great idea you can at least say - that was my idea! - and maybe someone will buy you a drink and put your photo in the bar :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

No point in keeping any ideas secret really, you want to tell as many people as will listen so you get honest feedback on the idea.

The idea is the easy part ,it is the execution of the idea that is 99% of the work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Thoughts are inside voice
    Writing is outside voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Go to the city council. As far as I know the enterprise will provide everything from advice on what needs to be done and a grant if the idea is sound..

O Riain wrote: »
    Go to the city council. As far as I know the enterprise will provide everything from advice on what needs to be done and a grant if the idea is sound..

:D

Advertisement