Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco on the Headford Road closed? [new opening hours]

Options
  • 22-03-2014 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Only saw today that it's no longer 24hr? When did this happen
    Their new opening hours are 6am-midnite 7 days a week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

D Trent wrote: »
    Only saw today that it's no longer 24hr? When did this happen
    Their new opening hours are 6am-midnite 7 days a week

They are supposedly looking to do this across all stores. Brother works nite shifts in another store and was told they might be stopping all night works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

This is indeed troubling news to us, vitamin D deficient, vampiric workers who are stricken by our bloodlust/hummus-lust cravings in the early hours of the morning... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

This is indeed troubling news to us, vitamin D deficient, vampiric workers who are stricken by our bloodlust/hummus-lust cravings in the early hours of the morning... :(

Maybe if you'd bought more hummus they might have stayed open overnight :rolleyes:

edit:Do they even sell blood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

None of them in Dublin are 24 hour now. Eg Maynooth and Clearwater. In-fairness I imagine only a tiny amount of people do grocery shopping at 3.30am and it no longer made economic sense. In Germany, German consumers can only use a supermarket between about 9am to 6pm monday to friday and between 9am and 1pm on a Saturday. There is nothing open on a Sunday. But Germans still manage to shop between the restrictive hours( I was which stuck on a motorway for 3 hours one Sunday, as Shopping center was given permission to open on a sunday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

hfallada wrote: »
    None of them in Dublin are 24 hour now. Eg Maynooth and Clearwater. In-fairness I imagine only a tiny amount of people do grocery shopping at 3.30am and it no longer made economic sense. In Germany, German consumers can only use a supermarket between about 9am to 6pm monday to friday and between 9am and 1pm on a Saturday. There is nothing open on a Sunday. But Germans still manage to shop between the restrictive hours( I was which stuck on a motorway for 3 hours one Sunday, as Shopping center was given permission to open on a sunday).

That can't be true I've never ever heard of that. I could understand for the purchase of alcohol but regular groceries and the supermarkets closed at 6pm on a weekday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I believe that's called Blue Law. There's certain regions in the US that have Blue laws too. Sundays are f'kin creepy in those places

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That can't be true I've never ever heard of that. I could understand for the purchase of alcohol but regular groceries and the supermarkets closed at 6pm on a weekday?

FWIW, When I started work in a fast-food joint (overseas) in the mid 1980s, Saturday shopping was only just coming in. Before that, places had one late night per week 'til 9pm, and every other day food shops closed at 5:30pm. That's all types of shops except the smallest neighbourhood convenience stores.

Sundays, as you say, were "fun". Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

quite common throughout Europe for shops to have limited opening hours.was in Berlin last April and an entire shopping centres stores were closed on a sunday bar some of the restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

RE opening hours in Germany: That's not true, this has changed quite a few years ago. Most supermarkets in Germany are open until 8pm Mo to Sat, a few till 10pm or even midnight. On Saturdays shops and supermarkets in cities are usually open till 8. Only smaller shops in small towns close early on Saturdays. And on Sundays lots of bakeries open for a few hours, in addition to petrol stations and convenience stores in train stations, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Space Dog wrote: »
    RE opening hours in Germany: That's not true, this has changed quite a few years ago. Most supermarkets in Germany are open until 8pm Mo to Sat, a few till 10pm or even midnight. On Saturdays shops and supermarkets in cities are usually open till 8. Only smaller shops in small towns close early on Saturdays. And on Sundays lots of bakeries open for a few hours, in addition to petrol stations and convenience stores in train stations, for example.

Depends on the state. In NRW they close very early midweek and are barely open on a Saturday. Bakeries have just recently been allowed to open on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

None of them in Dublin are 24 hour now. Eg Maynooth and Clearwater. In-fairness I imagine only a tiny amount of people do grocery shopping at 3.30am and it no longer made economic sense.

I think the idea in the larger supermarkets is that workers are there all night anyway doing stocking/cleaning so they may as well open up a till.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Do they even sell blood?

It's in the same aisle as the nappies and baby formula. Growing kids and all that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 LMellows

If you go in any time after 11 the staff just stand around looking at you while you put your week's shopping through the self service yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

German shopping hours seem to be much shorter than hours.

I was in Berlin last year. Was interested to see signs advertising that they would be open the following Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

LMellows wrote: »
    If you go in any time after 11 the staff just stand around looking at you while you put your week's shopping through the self service yokes.

And ya can't get what ya want cause big lumps of stock are left in front of shelves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm a night owl. I tried to go in at a little after 4, but all the doors were locked and shuttered, with no notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Fenster wrote: »
    I'm a night owl. I tried to go in at a little after 4, but all the doors were locked and shuttered, with no notice.

They implemented new hours recently.
    Now open at either 6 or 8am (can't think which) until midnight.
    Shame, as it was handy if you needed something.

Ah well feck that. Cheers!

They've a massive sign above Tesco displaying their hours for the last month.

And nothing out in the car park or by the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

And nothing out in the car park or by the door.

Yes you can see the massive sign above the building when in the carpark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Could people make an iarracht úsáid of their Gaeilge @ Tesco? Fiú if it's briste, give it a try.
    Tesco has designated a till for Irish speakers on foot of the positive reaction to the introduction of bilingual signage throughout the shop last summer. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/tesco-puts-the-fada-back-into-shopping-1.1733773

Snubbleste told ye's to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

snubbleste wrote: »
    Could people make an iarracht úsáid of their Gaeilge @ Tesco? Fiú if it's briste, give it a try.
    Tesco has designated a till for Irish speakers on foot of the positive reaction to the introduction of bilingual signage throughout the shop last summer. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/tesco-puts-the-fada-back-into-shopping-1.1733773

Snubbleste told ye's to do it.

Tesco got back........stay away

Advertisement