Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boat info

• 05-04-2014 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I'm goin looking at a 23ft darragh speed boat which takes an inboard, anyone know what size engine this would take and know where I'd buy a fairly decent one or a price on one, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It will depend on what outdrive is on it and what the gear ratio is. A black one is more than likely an alpha or Bravo for Mercruiser engines anything from 3lt , 4.3lt . 5lt, 5.7lt
    A grey outdrive might be Volvo or OMC.
    Unless the boat is free or a family heirloom I'd stay away as you will spend a lot of time and money setting it up with a new engine, there are lots of good running boats around at a fair price that would be a much better option and you will be on the water straight away.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 topstuff

fergal.b wrote: »
    It will depend on what outdrive is on it and what the gear ratio is. A black one is more than likely an alpha or Bravo for Mercruiser engines anything from 3lt , 4.3lt . 5lt, 5.7lt
    A grey outdrive might be Volvo or OMC.
    Unless the boat is free or a family heirloom I'd stay away as you will spend a lot of time and money setting it up with a new engine, there are lots of good running boats around at a fair price that would be a much better option and you will be on the water straight away.:)

Hi Fergal thanks, it's on adverts there if u wanted to look it up? He's saying there's an engine with it but I duno doesn't sound great to me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Stay away it will cost you a fortune to get her up and running. I think the engine he is talking about is for a shaft drive and that will not work on that boat and a 1.9 diesel will not make it a speedboat :pac: You will be looking at least a €1000 for a second hand engine and same again for an outdrive and then another €1000 to finish the boat.
    Sorry for the bad news but a boat like this will put off boats for the rest of your life and leave you homeless with mental issues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 topstuff

Haha perfect just aswel I asked, I don't reali know a lot about them, what about there's a Larsen one on adverts too he sayin something like a starter or something was gone I think seen it couple a days ago it's in Dublin, thanks again fergal

If the Larson was any good it would have sold by now, all it needs is a new starter motor and he has one for it so if he spent a bit of time fitting the starter instead of answering some of the 159 comments he would have a running boat :confused:
    Boats are only worth the engine thats in or on them so spend your money on the best engine you can :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement