Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York - 24 Hour Stop Over Recommendations?

Options
  • 05-04-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a brief stop over in New York (Arrive 2pm, probably leave 6pm the next day) so I'm trying to pack in as much as I can in the time I have. Looking for recommendations for Breakfast and Dinner, and a route around the major sights and sounds. I've been recommend a walking tour which is looking like a winner at the moment but would love any further tips. No issue in getting up super early as I want to make the most of it.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

So much to do in NYC, have you any specific interests?

You're probably going to get three, maybe four activities in realistically. So they should really count.

I'd be trying to get a show in, immigrant museum, ground zero area, Brooklyn bridge, at least step into Central Park, Wall Street, top of the rock or Empire State Building (rock is a better view).

It really depends on the experience you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks OU812. I'm looking for a decent route to walk / subway the major sites e.g. Time Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, Wall St, Empire State etc. I'm happy to just see rather than do, if that makes sense. I want to avoid being anywhere for too long so obviously not doing the Statue of Liberty etc.

I have no issue in rising early or walking significant distances. I just want to try get as much in as possible.

This outline route is probably on the cards but I'm looking for any input at all really! http://www.lonelyplanet.com/north-america/travel-tips-and-articles/45362

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thanks OU812. I'm looking for a decent route to walk / subway the major sites e.g. Time Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, Wall St, Empire State etc. I'm happy to just see rather than do, if that makes sense. I want to avoid being anywhere for too long so obviously not doing the Statue of Liberty etc.

I have no issue in rising early or walking significant distances. I just want to try get as much in as possible.

This outline route is probably on the cards but I'm looking for any input at all really! http://www.lonelyplanet.com/north-america/travel-tips-and-articles/45362

Staten island ferry is actually part of the bus tour, which we loved. Walking might take a bit too long? You can choose to get off the bus and pick up on the next one so you wouldn't have to do everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

What ou812 recommended is as much as a normal human could hope for in a day :) The subway is excellent and you can use hopstop.com to plan your routes. Get a one day travel pass from a kiosk. Taxis are cheap too. The LIRR will take you into the city from the airport for about 10 dollars; but if you have luggage do a taxi. Flat rate to the city. New Yorkers are great. Ask for directions! Have a good time.

Edit: as mentioned above gray line buses do great tours. If I only had one day I would probably go for one of them. Save the feet for night time.

Thanks folks. Really appreciate it.

Can anyone recommend a bus tour?

• Advertisement

If you're staying central you'll stumble across Times Square and the Empire State at nighttime anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

The Grey Line tours are pretty good. This one might be interesting... http://nypost.com/2013/05/19/politicians-furious-over-bronx-bus-companys-ghetto-tour/

Check Tripadvisor.com and Yelp.com for reviews.

I would also go to Top of the Rock for some awesome city views. Get there when it opens (or a little before, and wait) and you can be up to the top and done in 30 mins...well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

The four or six hour tour here would be good; http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/category.php?cat=DTT

I would try to squeeze in a stroll around Chinatown too. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

All good recommendations-EXCEPT the bus tour.

Maybe we picked the wrong time of the day, but we did nothing but sit in traffic. We ended up jumping off and taking the Subway

Staten Island Ferry, Wall St and Brooklyn Bridge, and World Trade Center are within Walking distance. That could be your morning.

Times Sq, Rockefeller and Empire State are all within walking distance. I would do Top of the Rock (Rockefeller) instead of Empire-better view, shorter lines.

And it's right next to the Rockefeller plaza.

Once you're in midtown, it's a hop skip and a jump up to Central Park-maybe fit in a gawk around one of the museums-Natural History, Met or Frick

Good pubs-McSorleys (union sq) Perfect Pint, Long Hall and St Andrews (all Times Sq)

And my friend...that's about all you'll be able to fit in

(Also check out the Yelp page for NYC-people much more qualified that me can give you excellent advise)

whitey1 wrote: »
    All good recommendations-EXCEPT the bus tour.

Maybe we picked the wrong time of the day, but we did nothing but sit in traffic. We ended up jumping off and taking the Subway

Staten Island Ferry, Wall St and Brooklyn Bridge, and World Trade Center are within Walking distance. That could be your morning.

Times Sq, Rockefeller and Empire State are all within walking distance. I would do Top of the Rock (Rockefeller) instead of Empire-better view, shorter lines.

And it's right next to the Rockefeller plaza.

Once you're in midtown, it's a hop skip and a jump up to Central Park-maybe fit in a gawk around one of the museums-Natural History, Met or Frick

Good pubs-McSorleys (union sq) Perfect Pint, Long Hall and St Andrews (all Times Sq)

And my friend...that's about all you'll be able to fit in

(Also check out the Yelp page for NYC-people much more qualified that me can give you excellent advise)

Sounds like it was the wrong time of day! Wouldn't discount bus tour, I was only there two days and it made the trip.

• Advertisement

Really appreciate all the info folks. I think a bus tour is probably the best bet on the second day, as I arrive in the afternoon I should be able to cover some of the major sites around Central Park / Time Sq by foot that evening. I haven't sat down in detail so I could be talking nonsense, but from a basic overview, I think its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I think its possible.

You'd be amazed at how much you can see in a short time. The first time my parents came to visit I took them all over Manhattan one day, and when we got home I told them they had walked 18 miles that day. No wonder they were tired!

Advertisement