Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are companies allowed to hand pick which reviews to print?

Options
  • 05-04-2014 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I wrote an honest review about a terrible experience I had recently with a product from a large national company. I submitted it to the website and got a message to say that it would be put forward for approval. The review itself had no profanity etc and was completely honest (they can check their records to confirm this). Yet almost a week later I have heard nothing from them and my review has still not appeared on the site. Are they allowed to hand pick the reviews and only put up the good ones? It seems like a dishonest practise to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I wrote an honest review about a terrible experience I had recently with a product from a large national company. I submitted it to the website and got a message to say that it would be put forward for approval. The review itself had no profanity etc and was completely honest (they can check their records to confirm this). Yet almost a week later I have heard nothing from them and my review has still not appeared on the site. Are they allowed to hand pick the reviews and only put up the good ones? It seems like a dishonest practise to me.

It's there site, they can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They can publish what they want on their website - otherwise known as advertising. If you want your negative review to be visible use an independent website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's their website, so they can publish their choice of content

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

srsly78 wrote: »
    They can publish what they want on their website - otherwise known as advertising. If you want your negative review to be visible use an independent website.

Actually some of the "independent" are just as bad, esp if they depend on advertising from the businesses being reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You could always post it here and send them the link with a nice picture attached :D

OLeary.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Why on earth didn't you make your complaint to their complaints department !?
    Did you honestly think that a successfull business would publicly display a negative review?
    "allowed" . What law is it you think they are breaking by not commiting business suicide in this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Why on earth didn't you make your complaint to their complaints department !?
    Did you honestly think that a successfull business would publicly display a negative review?
    "allowed" . What law is it you think they are breaking by not commiting business suicide in this way?

I put in a complaint to their complaints department almost a month ago and they haven't bothered to even acknowledge my complaint. And even at that, making a complaint to them does nothing to warn off other potential buyers which is what I wanted to do. TBH, I was hoping that the review would be automatically added (probably naieve of me). The website of their english counterpart does have some negative reviews of products so I suppose that's why I assumed the irish site would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mrsbyrne wrote: »

Amazon, Maplin and other firms do actually show negative product reviews - but the likelyhood of a smaller business, or somewhere that sells mostly own-branded products, doing it is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are they allowed to hand pick the reviews and only put up the good ones?

Short answer: Yes

Have you ever picked a paperback book off a shelf in a bookshop and seen a bad review quoted on the back cover?

Have you ever stood outside a restaurant and seen a photocopy of a bad newspaper review in the window?

Have you ever seen an ad. in a newspaper for a car and seen a quote from a negative review?
    It seems like a dishonest practise to me.

It's called marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I was following a facebook page for an event where every comment that was not 100% glowing praise was deleted. Some comments were quite positive and merely pointing out things to consider for the following year but still purged. If you didn't gush over this man and his event you were quickly censored - some of us were considering attending and were watching the page closely enough to see it. Suffice it to say we decided against ever attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

cuilteanna wrote: »
    I was following a facebook page for an event where every comment that was not 100% glowing praise was deleted. Some comments were quite positive and merely pointing out things to consider for the following year but still purged. If you didn't gush over this man and his event you were quickly censored - some of us were considering attending and were watching the page closely enough to see it. Suffice it to say we decided against ever attending.

Deleting Facebook comments is a common mistake by companies that are new social media. In the OP's case the comments are vetted before displaying, so nobody else will ever see the negative review.

Advertisement