Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does any criticism of a Boards mod result in a ban?

Options
  • 05-04-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I was participating in a civil, good natured discussion on a forum concerning a particular radio presenter yesterday. This morning I noted that a mod had posted an utterly bizarre, ham-fisted warning on the thread. I posted a comment on the warning, pointing out that it was incoherent (it was an attempt to limit any discussion to some arbitrary parameters defined by that particular mod's opinions on the said presenter), and questioned the qualifications required to achieve "mod" status, in a light hearted way.

The result?
    A discussion? No.
    A rebuttal? No.
    A PM? No.
    A warning? No.

A month's ban.

I believe I deserve an explanation.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

You can't complain about moderation in a thread. It's in the site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Especially when your fresh in the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

By jeasus, Don't ever criticise a Mod. Been there before, they made my life hell. better off putting the Mod to ignore list if you have a problem, it's just not worth it man. :D

Only Joking Mods :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

DownBeaten wrote: »
    I was participating in a civil, good natured discussion on a forum concerning a particular radio presenter yesterday. This morning I noted that a mod had posted an utterly bizarre, ham-fisted warning on the thread. I posted a comment on the warning, pointing out that it was incoherent (it was an attempt to limit any discussion to some arbitrary parameters defined by that particular mod's opinions on the said presenter), and questioned the qualifications required to achieve "mod" status, in a light hearted way.

The result?
    A discussion? No.
    A rebuttal? No.
    A PM? No.
    A warning? No.

A month's ban.

I believe I deserve an explanation.

Its a sitewide rule you can't argue moderation on-thread. Otherwise every thread that had a mod ruling would be potentially derailed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

1. You argued with a mod instruction.
    2. You criticised a mod instruction.
    3. You gave personal abuse.

What exactly did you expect? You should make a point of reading the site rules and forum charters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The procedure for dealing with a mod instruction that you have a problem with is a site wide thing.

You PM the mod to discuss it. You don't continue arguing on thread, regardless of whether you think the instruction is valid or not. If you're having difficulties with any particular mod, you can go to their co-mods, or escalate it up to the Cmods. It's in every charter.

DRP is there if you feel the ban/infraction/warning you received was unfair.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The procedure for dealing with a mod instruction that you have a problem with is a site wide thing.

You PM the mod to discuss it. You don't continue arguing on thread, regardless of whether you think the instruction is valid or not. If you're having difficulties with any particular mod, you can go to their co-mods, or escalate it up to the Cmods. It's in every charter.

DRP is there if you feel the ban/infraction/warning you received was unfair.

Read the drp for a giggle, now and again. It's main purpose is for mods to circle the wagons.

A question, do mods get infracted by admin when they make unfair decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

A question, do mods get infracted by admin when they make unfair decisions?

Why would a mod get infracted for making a wrong decision?
    If a decision is deemed inappropriate then it is reversed or decreased.

El Guapo! wrote: »

I said unfair. Anyone can make a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

El Guapo! wrote: »

I think what they might have been getting at is if a mod makes consistent wrong or unfair decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think what they might have been getting at is if a mod makes consistent wrong or unfair decisions.

Ah I see. Well if that was the case then admin would have to look at it and reprimand the mod. That would be an exceptionally rare case though, and usually, mods tend to get it right most of the time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This isn't feedback. If you want to dispute your ban, do so in the appropriate forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement