Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we in 1930's Mississippi?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

She even had the gall to put down: "anti-social behaviour is already a problem in parts of the estate." As if the fact they are Travellers alone would automatically result in them robbing and destroying all around them.

That's a disgraceful thing for a supposedly democratic politician to come out with to be honest and fairly indicative of widespread prejudice in Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

FTA69 wrote: »
    She even had the gall to put down: "anti-social behaviour is already a problem in parts of the estate." As if the fact they are Travellers alone would automatically result in them robbing and destroying all around them.

That's a disgraceful thing for a supposedly democratic politician to come out with to be honest and fairly indicative of widespread prejudice in Ireland today.

Has balls to come out and say it, most people just think it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

jimboblep wrote: »
    wow definition of whataboutery right there

I got "hardworking" families whataboutary

KilOit wrote: »

The balls to be racist wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

efb wrote: »

Its not racism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

What race are we talking about exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

They are not a race.....you can keep saying it but that does not make it true.

Travelers are an ethnic minority

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/ethnic-minority

eviltwin wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. If a traveller works hard, earns a wage and buys a house beside me then more power to them. One such traveller family lives a few doors down, they are really lovely people and work hard, never had an issue from them.

It's provision of purpose built accommodation that no other sector of society has access too - which is in itself a form of discrimination - that I object to cause its basically making a ghetto.

I am all for integration but it doesn't work when you create an enclave of homes, slightly away from the rest of the community where there is no interaction and tensions flare.

So purpose building is a issue, she also objects do an allocation of social housing within the estate- where do you stand on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I am racist against all sections of society with a higher than average crime rate and lower than average tax contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I knew a publican once who decided to serve all comers regardless of origin or background at a time when it was not considered wise to do so.

The pub ended up losing all it regular customers because of the presence of people considered undesireable to be in the company of.

The publican had to close shop and hire a barman from the town to start afresh and play by the "rules", limited and reserved right of admission.

Trade went back to normal and the business recovered.

On another occasion I was stopped going into a night club and the doorman hinted at me to come back later but all admissions were suspended until we sort "those lad out" pointing to a group of people waiting to get in.

When I re emerged from the neighbouring cafe 10 mins later the group of people were gone and other people were being admitted normally. Later on I was thanked for my cooperation and that "we don't want "them" getting in here.......

On another occasion when I lived in a small midland village the pubs mysteriously closed shop earlier than usual and when I made enquiries the next day it was because a convoy of travellers had stopped 2 miles away and the publicans were afraid of trouble.

On a positive note I received a call to play music at a wedding put on in a remote village in a pub for a traveller family. The amount of drink taken and security presence and the pub closed 1/2 hour earlier than usual legal time and the people were "herded" out onto the car park very quickly once the festivities were deemed, by the barmen, to be over.

This curt treatment would not have happen except among the very roughest elements of the settled community. I was able to talk and relate OK with all the people I met that night and found them civil and courteous to me and my band mates. They love country music as well as Irish trad music and have some great songs we know little of.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

sugarman wrote: »
    The Travelling community are not a race!

A more accurate statement would be there is no such thing as race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Black people in 1930s Mississippi wanted equal rights, Travellers want the right to do whatever they want and then pull out the race card when someone speaks out against them. The thread title is embarrassing and an insult to civil rights campaigners in 1930s America.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So purpose building is a issue, she also objects do an allocation of social housing within the estate- where do you stand on that?

That is fine, once the family are subject to the same criteria for the allocation of a home as everyone else and don't get any special treatment just because they are Traveller.

That is fine, once the family are subject to the same criteria for the allocation of a home as everyone else and don't get any special treatment just because they are Traveller.

So in that respect you would agree with me about her NIMBYism there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

I've met 7 or 8 members of the travelleing community thst I haven't had trouble with. Of the hundreds I've come across in a previous job..I guess that means I shouldn't generalise but logically..having them living beside me would be a nightmare. Unless they happened to be the tiny minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So in that respect you would agree with me about her NIMBYism there

I'm glad she got the idea vetoed. As I said before I don't think putting travellers in a residential area but in their own small group of houses works.

Putting individual families into an estate when they are entitled to is as per the housing list is fine.

I object to public money being used to fund housing that 90% of the public won't be eligible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Reminds me if this tweet:
    @RonanMullen: Massive crowd gathered in Ballina tonight against dangers of pylons and wind turbines in Moy Valley - people power in action

Such NIMBYism
    Better not let any more houses for anyone be built. And no restrictions on mortgages two bigger effects on house prices
    What about people that inherited houses, not necessarily through hard work...
    I got "hardworking" families whataboutary

your the op if you believe enough in your original point maybe you should stick with it rather than indulging in whataboutary which i think we can agree is a very weak form of debate

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm glad she got the idea vetoed. As I said before I don't think putting travellers in a residential area but in their own small group of houses works.

Putting individual families into an estate when they are entitled to is as per the housing list is fine.

I object to public money being used to fund housing that 90% of the public won't be eligible for.

That's actually a good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

KilOit wrote: »

Sorry, being open about your willingness to tar everyone with the same negative brush isn't a positive thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They are protected under the equality act

So is everybody. That's what an 'equality' act does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

GenieOz wrote: »
    I've met 7 or 8 members of the travelleing community thst I haven't had trouble with. Of the hundreds I've come across in a previous job..I guess that means I shouldn't generalise but logically..having them living beside me would be a nightmare. Unless they happened to be the tiny minority.

I have met too many of the scummy ones for me to think that it's only a minority, I think the minority are actually the ones who are decent folk but then again I have yet to meet them.

Hope to god they don't get recognised as a race with this new bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

If it was rehousing Jewish community what would the reaction be?

I, for one, would far prefer almost any community beside me other than travellers.
    This is not about race or creed... it's about behaviour.

jimboblep wrote: »
    your the op if you believe enough in your original point maybe you should stick with it rather than indulging in whataboutary which i think we can agree is a very weak form of debate

My point was on NIMBYISM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's hard on decent travelers but it's no use pretending that people don't have valid concerns and dismissing it as nimby talk.

My parents and other neighbours were nearly driven out of their homes by a traveler family.

Most middle class people's liberal stance on such issues is unlikely to be tested in real life, let's be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

FTA69 wrote: »
    .. the fact they are Travellers alone would automatically result in them robbing and destroying all around them.

That's a .. thing for a democratic politician to come out with , to be honest and fairly indicative of widespread prejudice in Ireland today.

and all it took was a little comma and some selectivity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

humbert wrote: »
    Jewish people don't need to have houses provided for them.
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

So as usual AH thinks it's perfectly fine to tar all travellers with the one brush....

Oh the irony.
    I don't like generalisations

That's a very general comment.

There's a small settled traveller community near me. You would hardly know it was there. Never any hassle. On the other hand, iv had travellers just walk into into my house....apparently looking for someone they know who lived there, break into my car, shoplift from a shop I am familiar with, rob stuff from gardens and gravesides.

So my own overall experience with them has been bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Calhoun wrote: »
    I have met too many of the scummy ones for me to think that it's only a minority, I think the minority are actually the ones who are decent folk but then again I have yet to meet them.

Hope to god they don't get recognised as a race with this new bill.

That's what I was saying :p
    The minority are decent, in my eyes, whilst the majority...ehh not so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

A settled traveller family live right next door to me. We have never had any problem with them.

However(there's always a however), when we were younger the father used come in for a cup of tea and a chat, always on the first week of july, and casually inform our father that his brother would be coming in a weeks time and staying on his plot of land and then he would go on his way to the next house for the same conversation. The next week was spent in 'tidying' the farm. Tidying consisted of putting anything valuable into locked houses so it was safe.

The day after the family left, the same man used return and casually inform us that his brother had gone away. Locks were taken off the doors and life continued as normal.

He was a great neighbour, tbf.

Again, just my two experiences of travellers.

Advertisement