Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we in 1930's Mississippi?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

As a person who has lived within the.... "reach" of a travelling community I can safely say theyre generally trouble. They will think nothing of literally ruining your life. Yes, its the few that give the many a bad name in most cases but in *this* case, it really is the other way round. They entirely deserves the reputation they've earned. As mentioned it has **** all to do with race, or colour or whatever. Its to do with behaviour and hassle caused. There are arseholes in all walks of life but when one particular walk is essentially free of any kind of law the problem is intensified. Every single time Ive had contact with travellers, Its been negative. I know, Its easy to say but I swear to you its true. From being told to **** off, an inch from my own face for having the audacity to make eye contact, to being beaten to a stupor by a group, when I was in school, when I finished school, to losing a LOT of money and property while in a college phase of my apprenticeship , to nearly trebling a towns speed limit with an injured freind in the back with them right behind because he handed one a phone to make an "emergency call" and had the cheek to demand the phone back when they said "what phone" after he asked the first time.
    I could go on, Ive got quite the list.

So **** 'em.

Though with that in mind, I will say it seems to be the below 30 year olds that are tge worst. The older crown arent quite as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

efb wrote: »
    I wonder will wind farms and mobile masts and pylons be next?

I don't know why, but I imagined mobile wind turbines and pylons. That would be terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I would say in my own experience with the said community - It wasn't good... in fact all bad.

I would rather not have the guys located in my back garden - rather 50000 miles away.

However, OP - It would seem to me you seem to be picking holes and would seem like trying to aggravate other posters with their own opinions.

Because of this carry on, this is the really why we can't have a nice AH discussion on this sort of topic.

No one is racist here or "nimbytopsyism", chances are, it is probably based on that posters own experience which would appear the majority of the case would be negative with the travelling community.

Now prepare for the thread to be locked again as such posters do not have the cop on to be mature about this apparently sensitive subject...

Rant over.
    </End>

I don't have an issue with it

Maybe invite them to live in your estate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Not in South Dublin anyway. Put that on the Northside.

How could South Dublin house people they have responsibility to house on the northside? Sure you might as well suggest SD houses their people in Co Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jake1 wrote: »
    Maybe invite them to live in your estate then.

I live beside a halting site

Good for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

coolemon wrote: »
    Learn the meaning of racism.

Travellers are an ethnicity and discriminating against an ethnicity is racism.

Where do you get that definition ?

Do you not mean ethnocentrism ?

endacl wrote: »
    So is everybody. That's what an 'equality' act does.

No it doesnt. It legislates for nine distinct characteristics where discrimination is unlawful. Being a member of the traveller community is one of them.
    If the characteristic isnt one of the nine, you can discriminate legally all you like.

Hopefully, when they leave the site, they will clean up after themselves, unlike a lot of them.

from todays Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/taxpayer-left-with-500k-bill-to-clean-dump-site-260840.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....the usual hate festival underway, I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Councillor blasted on boards for doing nothing

Councillor blasted on boards for listening to her constituents and working for them

Can't win :/

Muise... wrote: »
    Do the Jewish community need to be rehoused?

They were given a complete country.

Good for you :)

I don't feel good bad of indifferent about it, just refuting your earlier point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Nodin wrote: »
    ....the usual hate festival underway, I see.

Good strategy. If someone has an opinion you don't agree with, then just shut them up with an ad hominem attack.

Good strategy. If someone has an opinion you don't agree with, then just shut them up with an ad hominem attack.

This threads are a hate festival each and everytime. It's so rabid nothing I say will shut them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The welfare state has an awful lot to answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Hopefully, when they leave the site, they will clean up after themselves, unlike a lot of them.

from todays Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/taxpayer-left-with-500k-bill-to-clean-dump-site-260840.html

It's a sad state of affairs when the best defence they can come up with is 'The residents shouldn't have to police themselves'.

The welfare state has an awful lot to answer for

Yep, because life was such a box of roses and choccies before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

This threads are a hate festival each and everytime. It's so rabid nothing I say will shut them up.

So, if someone had a bad experience with the travelling community, are they not allowed say it and/or hate them for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Most people s nightmare would be to see plans for a halting beside them . They would worry about themselves .their houses. Children . Pets . House values., honestly could u blame them ., while it may be an minority it can be for certain very few would really wish for it to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think people just have had too many bad experiences involving members of the travelling community. Of course they're not all bad but there are a lot of bad ones.

Yep, because life was such a box of roses and choccies before it.
    Look obviously a social safety net is an improvement but to say there are zero negative side effects is naive. Social welfare allows SOME to essentially check out of any personal effort or civic responsibility. People who would have had to work to make a living can now pretty well choose not to as they can rely on the forced generosity of others. There is a sort of immorality in that for me. But look, probably the better of two evils.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jews generally...house themselves within the norms of society.

Tell that to the Palestinians
    Emer Higgins
    ...purchasing these houses off the developer...

That should read from the developer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Of course every one hates them, why wouldn't we?

The day there won't be any hatred for them is the day their culture disappears. Their culture consists of nothing more than stealing from and attacking innocent people. Remove that and they're no different to the rest of us, they'd hate that more than anything IMO. Imagine having to put away the race card for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Muise... wrote: »
    What history books have you? The Chronicles of Browbeating Bull****?

The history books here were written by Nazis or at least published by them.

I think the main issue is this, any social contract requires give and take. The travelling community seem to take an awful lot more than they give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I didn't see the article I saw the letter on twitter

Yet your title is almost a verbatim quote from the broadsheet article. Isn't that a strange coincidence.

Yet your title is almost a verbatim quote from the broadsheet article. Isn't that a strange coincidence.

Which is quoting a tweet I had retweeted! I only saw broadsheet after it was mentioned here. I don't read it. Im on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Halting sites are usually okay, they are away from the road, pretty much private, anything that goes on is usually kept away from anyone living around. I l have two halting sites near me and while they are both eyesores I can't really complain about them. There has never been any trouble with them.

Its the settled travellers that can be the biggest problem when their traditions are at odds with the those of the residents. Right now I am living beside a traveller couple and I wish they would leave, they treat the street like their own personal halting site at times with cars everywhere, our driveway is blocked on a regular basis, they don't do bin collections but have a Fingal truck that comes around once a fortnight to pick up their refuse which means black bags thrown in the front garden which stink on days like today. Why they get a free refuse collection I don't know, I pay a small fortune for mine :mad:

And then there are other smaller things, things that in fairness anyone could do - domestic violence, child neglect, general mess......I know that its not fair to judge an entire community by the actions of a few but if this couple leave and another family move in I will be wary. The traveller population is very small, do you really think all those incidents are down to one family or that its the same people over and over again.

Advertisement