Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we in 1930's Mississippi?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Look, there are a lot of reasons why many settled people want nothing to do with travellers and most of them are justified. The majority of people have bad experiences with them and that is down to the behaviour of the travellers. I get annoyed when people try to justify anti-social behaviour and animal cruelty in the traveller community as being part of the culture of the travelling community.

We will never have a truly equal society until travellers are forced to obey the laws of the land like the rest of us do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Look, there are a lot of reasons why many settled people want nothing to do with travellers and most of them are justified. The majority of people have bad experiences with them and that is down to the behaviour of the travellers. I get annoyed when people try to justify anti-social behaviour and animal cruelty in the traveller community as being part of the culture of the travelling community.

We will never have a truly equal society until travellers are forced to obey the laws of the land like the rest of us do.

Which laws are they exempt from???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

efb wrote: »

Ah dude......

Leave it be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I read about the traveller family feuds going on - such as the one that put Olympic boxing medallist John Joe Nevin in hospital today - I wonder whether we're actually in 1880s Kentucky instead. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Nemeses wrote: »
    Ah dude......

Leave it be now.

So not willing to back up outlandish claims???

• Advertisement

So not willing to back up outlandish claims???

Wasn't my claim to back it up.
    But I think you know what the poster was trying to say...

You've been poking holes at this particular subject continuously.

What is your angle?
    IF this is a sensitive subject to you, maybe best to ignore this topic.

Come off it, we all know that they don't believe that the laws apply to them.

Wasn't my claim to back it up.
    But I think you know what the poster was trying to say...

You've been poking holes at this particular subject continuously.

What is your angle?
    IF this is a sensitive subject to you, maybe best to ignore this topic.

I should ignore blatant racism (or discrimination against a travelling community if you don't accept they fall within the definition) no, I won't ignore it. I'll call out those that seek public office targeting groups as the Cllr did

I should ignore blatant racism (or discrimination against a travelling community if you don't accept they fall within the definition) no, I won't ignore it. I'll call out those that seek public office targeting groups as the Cllr did

And you've made your point. Several posts ago.

Originally Posted by Pumpkinseeds

How is this posters comment racist?

And you've made your point. Several posts ago.

How is this posters comment racist?

Generalisations "them" and "us" scenarios

• Advertisement

Come off it, we all know that they don't believe that the laws apply to them.

Who is "we" and "them"??

Who is "we" and "them"??
    Pull the other one, I'm already bored with your ridiculous attempts at defending travellers. A case of defending the indefensible efb. But I'm guessing that you are just going to keep on and on and on defending them until everyone else gets weary of your tedious arguments and stops following this thread, I'm already yawning and thinking about putting the kettle on.

Pull the other one, I'm already bored with your ridiculous attempts at defending travellers. A case of defending the indefensible efb. But I'm guessing that you are just going to keep on and on and on defending them until everyone else gets weary of your tedious arguments and stops following this thread, I'm already yawning and thinking about putting the kettle on.

Do as you want, but scapegoating all travellers isn't right

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Co Councils bend over backwards to house them, houses are offered but they refuse to take them unless it's beside the rest of the family.

In Tuam some of them were given houses and they wrecked them, a horse was even found in one house, no action was taken and the council paid to have the houses fixed up again.

Most of them see social welfare as their wages and make no effort to find work, now all this is a bit hard to take while the rest of us are struggling and funding their lifestyle.

Co Councils bend over backwards to house them, houses are offered but they refuse to take them unless it's beside the rest of the family.

In Tuam some of them were given houses and they wrecked them, a horse was even found in one house, no action was taken and the council paid to have the houses fixed up again.

Most of them see social welfare as their wages and make no effort to find work, now all this is a bit hard to take while the rest of us are struggling and funding their lifestyle.

Have you the % on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Ugh PC people on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I wonder will wind farms and mobile masts and pylons be next?

they could be handy for the travellers to hang their washing on though

Toobz wrote: »
    Ugh PC people on here.

Terrible isn't it... A mac mam

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have you the % on that?

You know I'm right even if you won't admit it.

I live in an area and indeed a county where there are a lot of travellers and I see it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

I live in an area and indeed a county where there are a lot of travellers and I see it everyday.

Work in a shop in same sort of area and they make life hell for everyone.

• Advertisement

That's a no then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do as you want, but scapegoating all travellers isn't right

For such a small group, travellers do have a name for themselves. Mostly by their own making imo. There are only 36,000 living in the Republic according to Pavee Point. By rights a group that tiny should be almost invisible but they make waves which cause people to be wary of them, that is not racism. If it was unfounded it would be one thing but do a quick google search on anti social behaviour and the travelling community and you get your pick of real life incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have you the % on that?

Approx 80% of Travellers are unemployed compared to, what about 11-12% in the general population

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

They are protected under the equality act

Yes yes yes. I love hearing about travellers rights. Im so sick about hearing about travellers responsibilities.

Oh...hang about...

So what % would that be, from your google search...

Yes yes yes. I love hearing about travellers rights. Im so sick about hearing about travellers responsibilities.

Oh...hang about...
    For what another generisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I work with travellers regularly and am lucky enough that in general all of my encounters with them have been pleasant but even those travellers themselves are the first to admit that they can understand why travellers are judged the way they are. That a lot of them do cause hassle and it makes it more difficult for those that don't, but they can't blame people for thinking they're all like that.

I don't see the point of this thread though tbh.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Approx 80% of Travellers are unemployed compared to, what about 11-12% in the general population

What has unemployment got to do with it? Why are they unemployed? Are they getting equal opportunities in the workplace?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

If it was rehousing Jewish community what would the reaction be?

Do many Jewish families decide they have a culture that grants them the benefit of deciding that societal norms and behaviour do not apply to them whilst at the same time expect society to accommodate and pander to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

For what another generisation?

Are you denying that travellers fefuse work? What % of travellers pay tax on income earned? How many work and claim SW? You can bet it's a much higher % than settled community. Bit 8t's their culture right? :rolleyes:

Advertisement