Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we in 1930's Mississippi?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

efb wrote: »
    Do as you want, but scapegoating all travellers isn't right

no, but scapegoating the majority would be right - all this bull **** trotted out " its only a few bad ones " well , i have found its mostly the majority are wastes of space , its the few who are sound , like the guy i lived next door to for years , him and his family were the nicest , soundest people to live next door , he is a traveler , and he was depressed with the attitude of the MAJORITY of the travelers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

bumper234 wrote: »
    I used to work as a doorman for many years and have a proud record of never letting one past me into any premises i worked.
    that does strike me as being off- none, none at all? Even just a couple out for a drink together? Now that is just blind discrimination and going too far.
    Agreed. Especially when Bumper talks about his proud record. No need for going that far IMO; that only helps increase resentment, like there aren't enough problems already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

A street doesn't identify an individual.

Might even add some weight to all your 'bleeding-heartery'.

I'm not going to change opinions in boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A street doesn't identify an individual.

Might even add some weight to all your 'bleeding-heartery'.

Sesame street............... everyone knows that Oscar the Grouch is also known as the "Grouch" Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I'm not going to change opinions in boards

Aah.... Yes.
    As I said: Troll senses really tingling now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Agreed. Especially when Bumper talks about his proud record. No need for going that far IMO; that only helps increase resentment, like there aren't enough problems already.

Why?

I also have never allowed a junkie onto premises, I have never allowed known pick pockets onto the premises, I wouldn't let a tracksuit wearing scrote onto the premises. I tag them all with the same word......TROUBLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Why?

I also have never allowed a junkie onto premises, I have never allowed known pick pockets onto the premises, I wouldn't let a tracksuit wearing scrote onto the premises. I tag them all with the same word......TROUBLE.

Get out. Just run mate, RUN! Ill cover your exit, Stav will collect you at thread exit, go go go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

So what is this based on?

Are you saying those issues don't exist?

Get out. Just run mate, RUN! Ill cover your exit, Stav will collect you at thread exit, go go go!

Not a chance:D

I make no bones about how i most certainly discriminate against certain sections of our society. The same people lamenting the rights of the people i mentioned above would grab their coats and bags and leave the bar if i decided to start letting them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Living right next to a halting sight isnt really a problem tbf. No one sh*ts where they eat, efb.

Well then wouldn't the people be safer with the traveller accommodation there- by that logic???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Well then wouldn't the people be safer with the traveller accommodation there- by that logic???

I'd agree with Renegade Mechanic to some degree, but it doesn't apply to all of them.

In my experience I know of plenty of them who will gladly $hit where they eat.

I mean that both figuratively and literally. A younger Essien got many an eyeful while walking to school. Of course you'll need photographic evidence and a signed confession though won't you.

I wonder if Eugene Gillespie would be still alive if Simon McGinley lived right next door to him....
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-30-jailed-for-life-for-murder-of-eugene-gillespie-67-30153301.html

A junkie would be highly likely trouble because of what their habit causes them to do, a known pick-pocket - well already they're established lawbreakers so that's not really a good comparison, tracksuit-wearers - dress code.
    I mean just say a traveller couple, like Stavros suggested. If they don't give you attitude, I don't agree with not leaving them in based on them being travellers and nothing else.
    You can't accuse me of being a bleeding-heart or whatever if you read the rest of my posts to this thread.

I mean just say a traveller couple, like Stavros suggested. If they don't give you attitude, I don't agree with not leaving them in based on them being travellers and nothing else.

Say 40 traveller couples.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

mikom wrote: »
    Say 40 traveller couples.....

No, say one travveler couple. A restaurant I eat in almost every day of the year is also often frequented by Travvelers - it's a big, busy place - and 95% eat, pay and leave. 5% eat and run. The 95% are big spenders and pleasant as can be - if anyone is dumb enough to think Travvelers are stupid, well you got it wrong. Or "out of control" - equally wrong. They are sharp as tacks and turn it on and off. When it suits, they're wild and "unpredictable" and "trouble". Equally, when it suits they can be sweetness itself.

Bear in mind, they think we are the "buffers" and "Country people" - i.e, the dopes. So they play the "dopes" whenever it suits. At the end of the day, they're people, same as us, only they have different rules that don't fit with ours. If you ever see a group of Travvelers on good-as-gold best behaviour around one of the Senior Travveler Bosses, you'd see it is a tap that can be turned on and off, as suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I actually have travellers living beside me and have No Problems with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

Zed Bank wrote: »
    I wonder would the OPs attitude change if they were moving next door to him.

Karma would dictate that this situation will indeed happen! He is either a very skilled troll or delusional in the extreme.
    I was walking down shop street in Galway with my friends one time and a member of the traveling community came up behind us and leveled my friend with a very dangerous box to the back of the head. In hindsight, being a goup of teeneagers, we did make eye contact with them which scum dont usually like. The assailant and his friends stayed for a minute or two squaring up to the rest of us but soon legged it once they saw my friend was in bad shape.
    He was concussed and getting sick when the guards came who were understanding but I could tell from the ban gardas eyes there was f all they could do or were going to do. My friend was alright after a while but his self esteem took a big hit for quite a while after it.
    It actually inspired him to take self defense classes which lead onto full mma training. He is now a person that not very many people would even consider assaulting.
    Moral of the story? We have to keep providing them with welfare and housing or the crime and anti social issues will get even worse. That is the cost of having a civilized society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Used to live in the local traveller estate.

Never...ever...again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

At the end of the day, they're people, same as us, only they have different rules that don't fit with ours.

There you go. They bemoan the fact that they're not treated as equals yet they behave outside the realm of what is considered normal.

A junkie would be highly likely trouble because of what their habit causes them to do, a known pick-pocket - well already they're established lawbreakers so that's not really a good comparison, tracksuit-wearers - dress code.
    You can't accuse me of being a bleeding-heart or whatever if you read the rest of my posts to this thread.

Before i became a head doorman where the choice of customers was mine to decide i was just a lowly doorman and from years of experience i learned this. You allow one traveler couple into the bar and they are fine, they have a few drinks and leave before closing time no hassle. A few weeks/couple of months later and you arrive for work and on couple has turned into 2. Few weeks later there are 4 couples until one night you arrive for work and there are 30 travelers who have bee there all day since the christening finished at 1 o'clock.

You may feel i am generalising and tarring all with the same brush but i am speaking from experience and not just once but many times. I learned from my experiences and took the lessons learned on board. I see a traveler approach a bar i am working and i refuse entry, is it wrong? Probably. Is it against equality laws? Yup. Would that change my mind? Not a chance. As i stated the same people lamenting the plight of the poor traveler would have no issue whatsoever leaving a bar if 20 of them were allowed in.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    There you go. They bemoan the fact that they're not treated as equals yet they behave outside the realm of what is considered normal.

Remaining as "Outsiders" and mobile is a professional endeavour. It's hard to be up to no good these days with a smart-phone contract, an address, number plates and a name that ties you to an address. Revenue love all those things. So do the Gardai. Have none, and... also, having a fearsome, outlaw reputation helps, and it needs playing up. Playing the "rascist" card also shuts up a plethora of criticism - very handy, and very well used. "I'm not shoplifting, you're discriminating against my human rights.." puts off a lot of security staff. Works a treat.

Before i became a head doorman where the choice of customers was mine to decide i was just a lowly doorman and from years of experience i learned this. You allow one traveler couple into the bar and they are fine, they have a few drinks and leave before closing time no hassle. A few weeks/couple of months later and you arrive for work and on couple has turned into 2. Few weeks later there are 4 couples until one night you arrive for work and there are 30 travelers who have bee there all day since the christening finished at 1 o'clock.
    Fair enough.
    same people lamenting the plight of the poor traveler would have no issue whatsoever leaving a bar if 20 of them were allowed in.
    We've just been talking about two, not 20, to be fair.

Fair enough.

We've just been talking about two, not 20, to be fair.

I know but the fact is that the same people who are saying "oh the poor travelers" are the same ones who would not like to have contact with them. Those of us who have had to deal with them on a weekly basis have learned that it's best to nip it in the bud and not have them on our premises and fwiw from my experiences 2 will eventually lead to 20.

I know but the fact is that the same people who are saying "oh the poor travelers" are the same ones who would not like to have contact with them. Those of us who have had to deal with them on a weekly basis have learned that it's best to nip it in the bud and not have them on our premises and fwiw from my experiences 2 will eventually lead to 20.

You know your job better than anyone else I know, so I'm gonna defer to your experience and say if you reckon that's the facts, then that's good enough for me and I take your point. Opinion changed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I actually have travellers living beside me and have No Problems with them
    So have I. They live 3 doors up. I have worked on their car, they've signed for postal deliveries for me when i'm not there, usual neighbour stuff. Great neighbours to be fair.
    Having said that, he warned me to have nothing to do with his brothers. "Just make an excuse if they ask you to do anything" he said, saying that before i knew it they would have me roped into all sorts of mad sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You know your job better than anyone else I know, so I'm gonna defer to your experience and say if you reckon that's the facts, then that's good enough for me and I take your point. Opinion changed. :)

Uh oh, the final seal is broken. Someones opinion has been changed on the internet!

Uh oh, the final seal is broken. Someones opinion has been changed on the internet!

Not at all, my opinion has been changed a good few times. AH is always an eye-opener, if you're not too dug into a position. :)

What do i win????? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I wouldn't want travellers or lifelong dolers living next to me.

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't want travellers or lifelong dolers living next to me.

Lifelong dolers are great for accepting packages and deliveries at inconvenient times. Every cloud and all that. They also beat any burglar alarm - Jimmy, keep an eye -there's a naggin in it for you. ;)

Advertisement