Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening gift advice

Options
  • 05-04-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is correct forum, but anyway...

I've been invited to a christening by one of my friends. How much do I put in the gift? I'm not one for buying presents, so cash it will have to
    be.

Thanks.
    FM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hi,

Not sure if this is correct forum, but anyway...

I've been invited to a christening by one of my friends. How much do I put in the gift? I'm not one for buying presents, so cash it will have to
    be.

Thanks.

FM.

If its a close friend 50 would be what id put in

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

€30 - €50 would be what I'd give, depending on what you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

A gift card/voucher for Tesco/Dunnes/Local shopping centre so they can use it to buy baby stuff or a treat for themselves. How about a few quid worth of Prize Bonds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

People give money for christenings now? Personally I'd be mortified if anyone gave me an envelope of cash at a christening. We had secular naming ceremonies for our kids and we got a few small gifts of toys or clothes but it certainly wasn't standard. Is this expected? I'd like to know if I've to go to one in the future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we didn't really get any christening presents but got presents when they were born, 50 euro is way too much though.
    Prize bonds are a great present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If I've given a gift when baby arrived I don't give a christening gift too. I don't attend christening ceremonies anyway, but if I did a token card and small gift would be all I'd give.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I always just gave a gift when baby arrived. Then when our LO got christened we got loads of gifts and cash too off people who had already gave us stuff when our LO was born.
    I was mortified coz I thought I had been doing it wrong all along with just one gift. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Another vote for prize bonds, a lovely gift that will be remembered longer than cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Only one gift and I don't think it's expected.

I love getting prize bonds for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - a bit lat for me to get prize bonds, so I think a quid should suffice. I'll be giving in sterling as the christening is in the north - £30 suffice or £40?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks - a bit lat for me to get prize bonds, so I think a quid should suffice. I'll be giving in sterling as the christening is in the north - £30 suffice or £40?

£30 is loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't expect any gifts for christening.

Ps, I hate prize bonds, might as well flush the money down the toilet they are so awkward to redeem, and the return is rubbish. Not everyone is a fan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't expect any gifts for christening.

Ps, I hate prize bonds, might as well flush the money down the toilet they are so awkward to redeem, and the return is rubbish. Not everyone is a fan. :)

How are they awkward to redeem? My mum won €50 on them last week, they just sent the cheque out in the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

dee_mc wrote: »
    How are they awkward to redeem? My mum won €50 on them last week, they just sent the cheque out in the post

They are awkward to redeem if you move house and your current address no longer matches your old one. Also if people buy them and misspell the childs name, awkward. Also if you lose the docket, awkward. You mother probably lost out on 200 euro worth of interest over the years by holding prize bonds instead of using a bog standard savings account. They are a tax on the financially clueless, much like the lotto. The returns have been slashed in recent years as well.

Look at the returns below and compare with ANY savings account. And that's before you even take into account losing them in your house.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/chances-of-winning-cash-on-prize-bonds-slashed-as-rate-cut-29860577.html

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I hate getting prize bonds, for me or for my daughter. I'd much rather the money or a gift. It just goes in a drawer and gets forgotten about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Like some others here, I give a gift when the baby is born, I don't give a second gift, if attending the christening. I would usually bring along something like chocolates or a bottle of wine, if going to the house, on the day of the christening.
    OP, twenty pounds is plenty, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Would you not give a voucher? Say a Next or M&S voucher? If you're not going to buy a gift, at least it's not quite as impersonal as cash ...

Btw there's absolutely no need or expectation for you to give anything, in my opinion. Absolutely not.

If you really want to give a gift - spend as much or as little as you can afford and you want to. I don't think there's any "standard".

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hp1

Our baby's godmother gave some clothes and a donation to the ispcc which I thought was a wonderful idea. People were so generous when our little boy was born so did not expect extra for the christening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Like some others here, I give a gift when the baby is born, I don't give a second gift, if attending the christening. I would usually bring along something like chocolates or a bottle of wine, if going to the house, on the day of the christening.
    OP, twenty pounds is plenty, in my opinion.

I heard that before basically just give one gift. I am not one for those silver christening gifts. Two of my fav pressies are the hand and foot imprints framed http://www.memorymakers.ie/index.asp-Q-I-E-imprints,2and ABC name in frame with plaque http://www.babyandchristening.ie/abc-name-in-frame

Advertisement