Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking at a lightweight tent

Options
  • 05-04-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Looking specifically at
    Luxe Hex Peak

and
    mini peak II

either of these seem to be light enough to carry.

I like the headroom and the Space these 2 tents provide. Someone on here was saying good things about them before.

What do you guys think?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

no one at all ?

Can anyone beat that for weight/per price?

Anyway just paid for one of those. let you know how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I'm on the market for a tent.
    It needs to be relative easy to carry / install but as a priority, beside the right measures, i would like to have a separate room to store my baggage and possible a small kitchen when weather is not so good.
    Also, the separate storage needs to be well insulated from outside rain, weather or insects as that will keep the clothes, backpack and food safe.

I've stopped at the Vango Omega 350.
    I know is a mere 5Kgs but it gives the comfort after along day hike.

Anyone use it, any feedback ,please !?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

rolion wrote: »
    It needs to be relative easy to carry / install but as a priority, beside the right measures, i would like to have a separate room to store my baggage and possible a small kitchen when weather is not so good.
    Also, the separate storage needs to be well insulated from outside rain, weather or insects as that will keep the clothes, backpack and food safe.

Thanks.

5kg is too heavy if you are walking any distance in my opinion. Try and keep the shelter weight below 2 kg even if the tent weight is to be shared by two people. 3kg between two people would be the absolute max I'd recommend for any long distance walking. Unfortunately lightweight tents cost more but your back will thank you !!

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »

Thanks.

I also have a vango equinox 250 about the same weight and would not use it for hiking that said it is a fine tent very sturdy. and loads of storage room.

you might get away with it if you split it into 3 and each person takes their share in weight. 5kg is alot to be carrying for 1 person and that is just the tent their is bedding food and possibly water also it is a big tent you need nice area of clear level ground to put up that tent.

If you are camping in a Camp site you can disregard the above paragraph as you are planning to car camp. the tent you mention is great for that.

Advertisement