Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Cigarettes online

Options
  • 05-04-2014 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I see lots of good advice on business legalities here so I thought I'd post here.

I was wondering is it legal to sell cigarettes in Ireland if they were bought the same way as pubs and shops ( All taxes payed). I'v been looking online and couldn't find much, and the tobacco license refers to "Over The Counter" alot so I don't see this applying!

Any info is appreciated.

(I already have ideas on how to make it more attractive then going to the shop and on how to spread the word as I know advertising is an issue.)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

lego101 wrote: »
    First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I see lots of good advice on business legalities here so I thought I'd post here.

I was wondering is it legal to sell cigarettes in Ireland if they were bought the same way as pubs and shops ( All taxes payed). I'v been looking online and couldn't find much, and the tobacco license refers to "Over The Counter" alot so I don't see this applying!

Any info is appreciated.

(I already have ideas on how to make it more attractive then going to the shop and on how to spread the word as I know advertising is an issue.)

Thanks.

This is so obviously an absolute non runner, don't waste your efforts on this

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

The only way to make it more attractive than going to a shop is by having them significantly cheaper, which there is no chance of if you're doing it legally. Shops make little to no profit on a pack of cogarettes as it is, they're mainly there to bring customers in the door in the hopes that they'll buy something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lego101

The only way to make it more attractive than going to a shop is by having them significantly cheaper, which there is no chance of if you're doing it legally. Shops make little to no profit on a pack of cogarettes as it is, they're mainly there to bring customers in the door in the hopes that they'll buy something else.

Thanks for your input! But even just for knowledge is it legal to sell online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

lego101 wrote: »
    Thanks for your input! But even just for knowledge is it legal to sell online ?

No it is not

To sell cigarettes you must be registered

You cannot get a registration in Ireland that permits online selling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Bandara wrote: »
    No it is not

To sell cigarettes you must be registered

You cannot get a registration in Ireland that permits online selling

Gaa clubs sell lotto online, thats gambling. U can buy drugs online from abroad, how about cigs online from abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Can be bought off several sites online for half the price you see them for in the shops here. My dad uses a company based in Andorra gets them shipped to the isle of man and gets a cheap ferry over there twice a year to collect. He's a heavy smoker so saves himself a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Gaa clubs sell lotto online, thats gambling.

They have to have a permit to do this.

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Can be bought off several sites online for half the price you see them for in the shops here. My dad uses a company based in Andorra gets them shipped to the isle of man and gets a cheap ferry over there twice a year to collect. He's a heavy smoker so saves himself a fortune.

Wow - that's commitment to smoking. but - it's also illegal - he should be paying import and duty charges as they are originating from outside the EU. If stopped in Dublin Port he would lose the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

Eight Ball wrote: »

nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

ifah wrote: »
    Wow - that's commitment to smoking. but - it's also illegal - he should be paying import and duty charges as they are originating from outside the EU. If stopped in Dublin Port he would lose the lot.

Really ????

• Advertisement

DubTony wrote: »
    Really ????

Was that a question or a remark ?

If it was a question here's the response :

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Gaa clubs sell lotto online, thats gambling. U can buy drugs online from abroad, how about cigs online from abroad?

Silk Road was great, you could buy loads of heroin and stuff online. BUT IT WAS ILLEGAL!

Also it's illegal to buy prescription drugs online from abroad, customs have been seizing lots of this stuff.

Advertisement